Is This Stuff Possible (not A Feature Request)?

After seeing the request regarding proximity for Waymarks, and sbell111 is a Catagory Owner... I was wondering about what CO's can do, and are not able to do.

Can CO's edit the Waymarks listed by other people, that exist in the CO's Catagory?

Can the people the place Waymarks add additional logging requirements? Can they overlook some?

Do the CO's have the ability to delete VISITS that don't match the Catagory's logging requirements? For that matter, can the Waymark Owner delete logs that don't meet the criteria?

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to add them.... I'm just trying to learn the whole system, or at least the intended plans.

I suspect that some CO's will be able to answer them all.

:) The Blue Quasar

After seeing the request regarding proximity for Waymarks, and sbell111 is a Catagory Owner... I was wondering about what CO's can do, and are not able to do.

Can CO's edit the Waymarks listed by other people, that exist in the CO's Catagory?

Nope. Category Managers can only approve or decline waymarks. Declining a previously approved waymark is equivalent to the "archiving" concept for a geocache.

Can the people the place Waymarks add additional logging requirements? Can they overlook some?
IMHO, that is up to the category manager. There are no "rules" governing this.

Do the CO's have the ability to delete VISITS that don't match the Catagory's logging requirements? For that matter, can the Waymark Owner delete logs that don't meet the criteria?

A category manager can archive individual visit logs on any waymark in that category.

A waymark owner can archive individual visit logs on that particular waymark.

Thanks for the info !

If I can ask one more question then....

Can Catagory Managers insist upon related URL's that links to the item ?

Since I one day hope to Manage the Ontario Historical Plaques catagory (should it be created), I'll use it as an example

If someone wanted to Own the Waymark for "The First Welland Canal", could I make a requirement that they must provide a link from a third party database, as such...

Plaque - The First Welland Canal

My hope is to cross-referrence that site with Waymarking so that a better locational referrence can be established while also providing more useful links to Waymarkers and to provide a list of what can be submitted .

:mad: The Blue Quasar

Delighted to help you, BQ. I look forward to collaborating with you and managers of other historic marker categories once more of them are up and running.

The best way to "force" the inclusion of information that the category owner wants to make mandatory is through the use of variables. This is an underutilized but powerful feature of Waymarking. I believe that my Pennsylvania Historic Markers Category is a good example of using variables so that the waymark data is supplied in a standardized way. I, too, wanted to capture information that was provided by an official website, so I make the waymark creator copy it over into the waymark form.

Here is a list of the Variables for my category:

Marker Name

County (a dropdown list with all of Pennsylvania's counties programmed into it!)

Date Dedicated

Marker Type (choice between "City" and "Roadside")

Location (street address of the historic marker)

Category (the official website classifies markers by category)

Website

For each of the variables, the Category Manager can decide whether to make them mandatory or optional. There can also be mandatory variables that are passed down from a higher level category.

Here is a complete list of the types of variables which can be added to a Waymarking category. You will see that Website URL is one of them. :mad:

Radio button list

Checkbox

Dropdown list

Short textbox

Multi-line textbox

Encrypted Multi-line textbox

Simple Date

Simple Time

Start Date/Finish Date

Start Time/Finish Time

Additional Coordinates

Textbox Accepting Numeric-only, Decimal Answer

Textbox Accepting Numeric-only, Non-decimal Answer

Ratings (1-5)

Textbox Accepting Currency

Web Address or URL

Physical Address

You're welcome, Mr. T. Any questions about what any of those cool variables will let you do? Happy to help.

I also am aware of an example of an "inherited" variable. The Groundspeak folks decided that in the "Ruins" category, there should be an inherited variable for "Condition." You have to select "Intact," "Partially Intact," or "Destroyed" from a dropdown list. At this time, there are three subcategories under "Ruins": Luftwaffe Radar Ruins, Ghost Towns, and my own Iron Furnace Ruins. In addition to the inherited variable, which you also see on the waymarks in the other two subcategories, for my subcategory I have also added optional variables for the dates when the iron furnace was in active use, and to provide a link to a related website with more information about the iron furnace.