Download .loc File Or .gpx

Goldmember

PQs, in my book, are best for automated and/or repeating searches...stuff you want done on a weekly or daily basis. Sometimes it's easier and faster to just do a simple query rather than build a PQ and then wait for your results. (Although if I recall, there's a "preview" link upon completion??).

Either way, it'd still be nice to be able to download the .GPX files of the selected caches, like you can with the .LOC files.

Also, if PQs are so powerful then why can't I perform a directional search? Such as, pull up all caches I haven't found that are within 10 Km of this coordinate but are to the south and east of it...

Which helps greatly when locating caches that are on your side of a river for example...

PQs, in my book, are best for automated and/or repeating searches...stuff you want done on a weekly or daily basis. Sometimes it's easier and faster to just do a simple query rather than build a PQ and then wait for your results. (Although if I recall, there's a "preview" link upon completion??).

Either way, it'd still be nice to be able to download the .GPX files of the selected caches, like you can with the .LOC files.

Also, if PQs are so powerful then why can't I perform a directional search? Such as, pull up all caches I haven't found that are within 10 Km of this coordinate but are to the south and east of it...

Which helps greatly when locating caches that are on your side of a river for example...

Not True!!

I regularly run a quiuck PQ when I know I am going into an area and have time for caching. I may or may not ever need it again but it is far easier than searching through pages of caches that may or may not suit me.

As for the directional thing - I am fairly certain you can bring them into GSAK and sort them out in that fashion. Also you could just move your starting coords 5 miles to the southeast and search within 10 miles of that.

You can get GPX files for individual caches on the cache page, but on the search page you can get LOC files only. On the cache page you'll find the link to download a GPX just below the coordinates for the cache. If you want more than that, or want it quicker, you'll need to run a pocket query.

When creating a pocket query, I find I typically get the file within minutes.

To the rest of you, try to be helpful without being snippy or rude, okay? Thanks.

I can see I did not explain this properly, what I was referring to is when you are on the my accounts page and click on the map it button. When you see the cache’s you want click the identify button which will show the cache names. Now from here you can select the caches by checking the box next to the cache name. Now at the bottom of the screen you can download them all at once but can only download .loc files. You can click on each cache individually and get gpx which is a little more time consuming.

Thanks to Quiggle for the support, as for Night Stalker and Team Dubbin if all you are going to be is sarcastic then just log off.

You can get GPX files for individual caches on the cache page, but on the search page you can get LOC files only. On the cache page you'll find the link to download a GPX just below the coordinates for the cache. If you want more than that, or want it quicker, you'll need to run a pocket query.

When creating a pocket query, I find I typically get the file within minutes.

To the rest of you, try to be helpful without being snippy or rude, okay? Thanks.

Or at least try to be helpful.

You missed the point. When was the last time you visited a dozen or more caches and downloaded their .GPX files individually? Probably around the last time I did too...

The option to download multiple .LOC files is provided on the search results page....why isn't .GPX offered? (At least to premium members if there's concern over the amount of data being delivered through thousands of requests)

There is also a daily limit on the number of PQs that you can run....Planning a long distance road trip with a little side-caching along the way requires numerous PQs te be generated for a decent selection to choose from. If doing this all by PQ, then one must start their planning a week prior to leaving. In the case of last minute plans or changes, PQs can fail you and you end up having to run "manual" searches online...but then you can only get individual .GPX files. Time gets tight.

-=-=-=-

Regarding the use of GSAK for my thoughts on a directional PQ feature...I already use a third-party program to give me what I want. I just figured that it would be a natural enhancement of PQs over their evolution and am surprised that it's not yet. Currently I use several PQs which happen to overlap in order to get the selection of caches I want to hunt, but the extra work they provide in weeding out the duplicate info is tedious at best. A single PQ that has directional parameters would solve this while at the same time cutting down the number of searches I perform to get what I'm looking for.

Edited by Deneye

Goldfinger took my thoughts right out of my head...I too would love to see the GPX option on the search pages. Say if you want to fininsh off a pag you can just select all and badda boom a GPX file lands on your desktop.

This would be hugely valuable to me as I feel no requirement to run a PQ for a mere 6-12 caches

hey Nightstalker....how's your feet taste on the premium comment??? :mad:

Whenever Jeremy has responded to this request in the past, he has explained that the processing power needed to produce GPX files is much greater than for the limited data in LOC files. So, GPX files "on the fly" will not happen anytime soon. You will need to order a pocket query.

An efficient way to do this is to bookmark the caches you're interested in, and then run a Pocket Query for just the bookmark list. This still requires opening each cache page, however. Based on past discussions, a feature enhancement that would have a greater chance of success would be to provide a way to "batch bookmark" several caches at once, by checking a box on the search results page and then specifying the bookmark list to which they are to be added.