Team Retriever At The Superbowl!

It all started here on this forum. "Mikefromtheburg" contacted me via e-mail and asked if I would be willing to trade sig items. I said sure and sent him a TEAM RETRIEVER card. Through our e-mail discussions, I learned he lives in Pittsburg and is a big Steelers fan. I told him that my 11 year old stepdaughter, "Wolf", is a HUGE Steelers fan! Mike was kind enough to not only send two of his team's sig cards, but also some sig keychain/bottle openers that said "Go Steelers" on them and some pics of the Steelers in the locker room praying. My girls (and I) loved this stuff!

Well, a few days after receiving this stuff, my wife won two tickets to the Super Bowl on a radio station!!!!! "Wolf" was SO excited!!! Although a pair of tickets were selling on Ebay for $8,000+, we didn't have the heart to sell them. My wife said I could take "Wolf" to the game and the day was planned.

We drove up to Detroit early Sunday morning (four hour drive for us from home) and had an AWESOME day!!! Our seats were really good and I even wore my Green Bay Packers shirt (hey, I'm a diehard fan). "Wolf" was full of excitement and neither of us will ever forget the experience. The fact that the Steelers won was just icing on the cake. I made sure and took a few pics of "Mikefromtheburg's" sig item while at the game. Mike, if you're reading this....GO STEELERS!!!! Yeah, I'm a Packer fan. But I could cheer for another team just one day. LOL!

After the game, we drove about an hour south to Cabela's in Dundee, Michigan. We slept in the back of our mini-van, while parked in their parking lot. In the morning we woke up and went shopping! LOL! I called my wife after we shopped and ate lunch, so she could do an area cache search for me. Low and behold there was a cache very close to Cabela's parking lot!!! "Wolf" and I found it, snapped some pictures and headed for home.

This was a truly blessed day and I just wanted to share it with all of you!!!! :)

beca8596-e5c0-4f23-8dc8-94760a783c3d.jpg

b8f1535e-b5bf-433a-9544-37916ef910cc.jpg

Edited by TEAM RETRIEVER

Excellent story, along the lines of the recent activity in the "Six Degrees of Separation" threads. It's a small world, really, and you run into geocachers everywhere.

I attended the Steelers victory parade today. It was the most people I've ever seen packed into downtown at one time! I was proud to be a part of a defining moment in our city's history. I wonder if Mikefromtheburg or any other geocachers were there?

From my vantage point at the Hilton Hotel, I was within easy walking distance of at least ten waymarks and two geocaches. And I could see a third cache way up high on Mount Washington. All but one of those placements were made by me.

I live here, and for me it's defined by coordinates, caches and waymarks just as others define it by scores in other sporting events. :)

Thanks for sharing the picture and for being a great dad by taking Wolf to the special game.

I'm not a huge fan of football, but this is a cool story. I did see the final moments of the super bowl on TV though. I've sent a sig item to Mike to, another plug for the "degrees of seperation." But what really got me drooling is the trip to Cabella's! I've been eyeing that place for years, someday I'll get there!

I invite fans of the Steelers and of Cabela's to get the best of both worlds, and plan a roadtrip for some geocaching in Pittsburgh, built around a Steelers game. You can pick up this cache on your way into town along I-70 in West Virginia. It's placed at Cabela's with permission.

Once you get to da Burgh, plan your stadium-area geocaching around this bookmark list of caches within walking distance of Heinz Field.

I attended the Steelers victory parade today. It was the most people I've ever seen packed into downtown at one time! I was proud to be a part of a defining moment in our city's history. I wonder if Mikefromtheburg or any other geocachers were there?

Hey - I just found this thread!!

Unfortunately I had to work the day of the parade - and I couldnt call off after calling off for the AFC championship game and using a personal day for the Super Bowl. I didnt make the parade because I didnt want to make any MORE enemies at work (LOL) but I could not miss those games. I did attend the pre Super Bowl pep rally at Heinz Field - That was pretty crazy.

Congrats again to Team Retriever for winning the tix and providing Wolf for a memory that will last her entire lifetime.

Im still jealous.

GO STEELERS.