Etrex Legend Newbie Question

nandyca

Hello, Im new to GPS and Geocaching, and have been searching for the answer to this question without results, so here it is.

Im currently Geocaching with a laptop hooked up with a rx(wich is not very good)

and want to upgrade to a E-trex Legend. The question is can I can it route, for example from address 1 to address 2 or from address 1 to the cache inside the car? giving me exits roads etc.

Thanks in advance!

You can create a route in MapSource if you have purchased maps that are detailed enough to contain the roads you need. You can then transfer the maps and the route to the Legend (up to 8MB of map data). You just can't get the Legend to tell you "how do I get from where I am right now to where I want to be."

Thanks for the prompt reply.

But then can I manualy route in the Legend?

Thanks again.

Not sure what you mean by manually routing, but with the appropriate software (Mapsource City Select) you can autoroute on your PC and load the routes to your unit. Unfortunately City Select takes up a lot of memory and the Legend really doesn't have enough for City Select.

Not sure what you mean by manually routing, but with the appropriate software (Mapsource City Select) you can autoroute on your PC and load the routes to your unit. Unfortunately City Select takes up a lot of memory and the Legend really doesn't have enough for City Select.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to load portions of CitySelect to the Legend without loading all of it and over-loading the 8mb memory? I didn't know you could even load CitySelect onto a Legend... only MetroGuide or Topo...?

Is it possible to load portions of CitySelect to the Legend without loading all of it and over-loading the 8mb memory? I didn't know you could even load CitySelect onto a Legend... only MetroGuide or Topo...?

Yes, it's possible. But the Legend cannot make use of City Select's routing data, so you'd want to deselect the "Include Route Calculation Data" when sending maps to the GPSr, or else part the memory will be used by data that the unit cannot use. Also, the Legend would use up one of City Select's unlock codes. So, if you already have City Select software for another unit and it still has an unused unlock code available, you could use ot on the Legend. But if you have no map software and need to go out and buy it for the Legend, buy the MetroGuide maps! MetroGuide doesn't require unlocking and it's cheaper than City Select.

The Legend can't auto route on the unit. The Legend C and Legend CX can. The cheapest routing GPS (with mapping) is probably the Garmin GPS V. THe GPS itself is a bit over $200 and it comes with the mapping software, which is a $120 add on with most other units.

wait. Am I to understand that if I buy a Legend C , then I can autoroute if the maps are loaded?

If this is true then I will finally dump my b/w Legend which has served me well.

wait. Am I to understand that if I buy a Legend C , then I can autoroute if the maps are loaded?

If this is true then I will finally dump my b/w Legend which has served me well.

If by the term "the maps" you mean City Select (or City Navigator), then the answer is yes. If you mean MetroGuide maps, then the answer is "sort of". By "sort of", I mean you have to use a program called img2gps, and then if you do, you will lose the ability to search for POIs.