A Bit Of Confusion.

Mr Lost

Awhile back, I downloaded a PQ of all the benchmarks in my area. Today, I happened to be in the area of one, and I dropped by to log it. A quick and easy find, I might add - right in the middle of a sidewalk. So, when I went to log it tonight, the database on GC.com does not indicate it's existence.

It is : AJ2621

It is stamped : GPS Control Point / NO 101 / Memphis Light Gase and Water DIV

Hmmm... It's listed on the NGS site. The database here is somewhat old, so it may not be included. You can still log it- hopefully someone will chime in who knows how to do that!

(the last recovery was 2003, so you could file an NGS recovery if you wanted- it also has adjusted coordinates, perfect for seeing how accurate your GPSr is under various conditions)

Edited by Photobuff

Hmmm... It's listed on the NGS site. The database here is somewhat old, so it may not be included. You can still log it- hopefully someone will chime in who knows how to do that!

(the last recovery was 2003, so you could file an NGS recovery if you wanted- it also has adjusted coordinates, perfect for seeing how accurate your GPSr is under various conditions)

That mark was monumented in 1993 by Memphis Light, Gas and Water. They may not have submitted it to NGS for a few years after that, and since the Geocaching database is no longer in sync with NGS', is the likely reason there's no reference to it in Geocaching's system.

That mark was monumented in 1993 by Memphis Light, Gas and Water. They may not have submitted it to NGS for a few years after that, and since the Geocaching database is no longer in sync with NGS', is the likely reason there's no reference to it in Geocaching's system.

Great! How do I go about getting GC.com to allow a log on it?

Mr Lost -

You may log your find on the Waymarking US Benchmark site if you have a closeup picture and have measured the coordinates with your GPS receiver. This site is for those benchmarks in the US that are not included in the regular benchmark database. The Waymarking site is run by the same people (Groundspeak) as the regular benchmark site.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

Mr Lost -

You may log your find on the Waymarking US Benchmark site if you have a closeup picture and have measured the coordinates with your GPS receiver. This site is for those benchmarks in the US that are not included in the regular benchmark database. The Waymarking site is run by the same people (Groundspeak) as the regular benchmark site.

I wonder if the Waymarking benchmark database would be of any use to surveyors or historians at some point? Might be interesting to see if in a few months or years, if surveyors use it as an augment to the more "official" sources of data.

Cyclometh -

The only thing I can think of along that line is that, at least in the past, survey projects apparently have made use of monumentations by other agencies. I guess it's an effort-saving thing to just use an existing mark without having to mix the cement, etc.

Until a lot more survey databases come online and waymarks are created from them, a non-NGSed mark a surveyor is looking for will have a low probability of being waymarked for quite some time.

For now, the idea, as with most of Waymarking and geocaching, and even aspects of benchmark hunting is - fun and challenge; finding marks and documenting your results and photos. Non-NGSed marks present a significantly higher challenge in some ways - there is often no database - hence, true finding.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

Awhile back, I downloaded a PQ of all the benchmarks in my area.

Hey, I wanna know who's offering pocket queries for benchmarks! Has there been an upgrade to the NGS site that I missed?

Patty

No one. What I did, as I recall now, was to download the info as per the FAQ. I just called it a PQ when I posted as I couldn't remember at that time how I did it. I got all those listings about six months ago.