"I Do What I Want, When I Want"

5¢

Anyone want to tell me why when a legitimate topic gets brought up in these forums, the thread starter feels like they want to go home and cry to their mother? Someone brings up the subject of a cache hidden on private property and that it would be nice if the hider expressed the fact that they got permission from the land owner, the response they get is "Don't bring it up, just let it go. Quite harrassing people, just don't find the cache if you don't feel comfortable." Multi logging caches, especially event caches, which in my opinion, logging event caches, which aren't approved GC.com caches is like logging a Navicache or Terraching cache on a GC cache that has nothing to do with the other cache. The response is, people play the game differently than you do. To each there own.

Am I lost here or what? I have always thought it was pretty well spelled out. If the cache is listed on GC.com and you find it, you post a found it log and you get a +1 to your stats.

If you hide a cache, you get permission if it is on private property. If you hide a cache on private property, it would be a good idea to say that you have permission so more people will try to find it. There is no downfall to putting on the page that I have permission from the business or farmer who owns this property to hide it here.

But yet it seems that there is a lot of " I do what I want, when I want" attitude here anymore. Maybe I care about the longevity of this thing we call geocaching. I want to do everything I can to help it. Telling other cachers it is ok to hide caches on private property or abusing the system by multilogging caches, or go ahead and break the law by sneaking into that cemetery or park after dark to get a FTF, by never telling them it is wrong is going to only hurt this hobby, sport. These acts escalate, and do you know why? Because no one had the screws to say it wasn't right.

I would like to say hi, call me the cache police. And a dang proud member. Running for sheriff in 2007!

If you hide a cache, you get permission if it is on private property. If you hide a cache on private property, it would be a good idea to say that you have permission so more people will try to find it. There is no downfall to putting on the page that I have permission from the business or farmer who owns this property to hide it here.

Wait a minute, you're playing a little loose here. EVERY cache requires permission from a land owner/manager, not just those on private property. So, when a cache is posted, it is ASSUMED to have permission for it's location(s).

This topic is kinda all over the place, but I'll start off by defending those that have been on the nay side of the private property icon.

I challenge to look through BOTH of the other threads and find where anyone was against people explaining their permission details on their cache page. Many of us are against an unneeded icon for something that is already required in the guidelines.

Don't feel bad, though. Our viewpoints have been misconstrued in those threads as well.

Anyone want to tell me why when a legitimate topic gets brought up in these forums, the thread starter feels like they want to go home and cry to their mother?

One problem that I see is that many people who begin topics are not looking for thought-provoking debate, but for someone to give legitimacy and agreement to their ideas.

Other than a few cache maggots out there, I just don't think there's that many malevolent cachers out there. At least not around my area.

Wait a minute, you're playing a little loose here. EVERY cache requires permission from a land owner/manager, not just those on private property. So, when a cache is posted, it is ASSUMED to have permission for it's location(s).

So like the 2 caches I attempted to find this weekend by a guy who's coords were off by .25 miles and one guy I know almost got speared by a bull, people should just assume that this cache hidden on public property has a private landowners permission? This is my point thanks to your arguement. Things don't always work out perfectly. How does that old assume thing go. Oh yeah, when you assume, you make an...................

This topic is kinda all over the place, but I'll start off by defending those that have been on the nay side of the private property icon.

I challenge to look through BOTH of the other threads and find where anyone was against people explaining their permission details on their cache page. Many of us are against an unneeded icon for something that is already required in the guidelines.

Don't feel bad, though. Our viewpoints have been misconstrued in those threads as well.

Anyone want to tell me why when a legitimate topic gets brought up in these forums, the thread starter feels like they want to go home and cry to their mother?

One problem that I see is that many people who begin topics are not looking for thought-provoking debate, but for someone to give legitimacy and agreement to their ideas.

Other than a few cache maggots out there, I just don't think there's that many malevolent cachers out there. At least not around my area.

This thread has very little to do with the previous threads you are speaking of. To some extent those threads brought up very good points, but no the reason for this thread.

I could show you quite a few malevolent cachers, but then I would be personally flaming someone for something I know GC.com does not condone, but does not enforce fully either. I don't know about your area, but I know of quite a few people (read 20 off the top of my head) within my local 200 miles that have no problem multilogging caches etc.

don't forget the now-popular, "i can steal other people's TB's if i don't like the cut of their jib," too. very fashionable this season.

Another good point, just goes with the "I do what I want when I want attitude"

My question is when is the community going to stand up and say something rather than try to be accepted by everyone?

[so like the 2 caches I attempted to find this weekend by a guy who's coords were off by .25 miles and one guy I know almost got speared by a bull, people should just assume that this cache hidden on public property has a private landowners permission? This is my point thanks to your arguement. Things don't always work out perfectly. How does that old assume thing go. Oh yeah, when you assume, you make an...................

I find this comment incomprehensible. More information is necessary for consideration.

Yes, I was spouting the official line. I've contacted a number of land managers, public and private, where there are existing caches and none had ever been contacted by the cache hiders. I, on the other hand, have received permission of some sort (sometimes unofficial) for every placement. C'est la vie.

[so like the 2 caches I attempted to find this weekend by a guy who's coords were off by .25 miles and one guy I know almost got speared by a bull, people should just assume that this cache hidden on public property has a private landowners permission? This is my point thanks to your arguement. Things don't always work out perfectly. How does that old assume thing go. Oh yeah, when you assume, you make an...................

I find this comment incomprehensible. More information is necessary for consideration.

Yes, I was spouting the official line. I've contacted a number of land managers, public and private, where there are existing caches and none had ever been contacted by the cache hiders. I, on the other hand, have received permission of some sort (sometimes unofficial) for every placement. C'est la vie.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...e9-8a4a8a68e895 Here ya go, by the way, the cache was hidden on some trees 5 feet off a gravel road, no cattle anywher near.

Edited by 5¢
So like the 2 caches I attempted to find this weekend by a guy who's coords were off by .25 miles and one guy I know almost got speared by a bull, people should just assume that this cache hidden on public property has a private landowners permission?

So this person was to secure permission for a location that was actually a mistake, and not the presumed cache area at all?

Really, I'm not meaning to be offensive, but this thread's not starting off very logically.

This thread has very little to do with the previous threads you are speaking of.

If that's so, why state this:

Someone brings up the subject of a cache hidden on private property and that it would be nice if the hider expressed the fact that they got permission from the land owner, the response they get is "Don't bring it up, just let it go. Quite harrassing people, just don't find the cache if you don't feel comfortable."

You're the one who drug the other threads into the conversation. Much like these threads, I think you're mis-stating the positions of many in the forums. For instance, you say

go ahead and break the law by sneaking into that cemetery or park after dark to get a FTF

I remember that thread, and don't think anyone espoused people breaking the law. Lots of points were brought up, like hours not being posted in some parks, or some areas being night friendly.

Just because we may not agree with your point of view, does not mean we have a "I do what I want, when I want" attitude. In all the threads you've mentioned there are well-constructed arguments against your viewpoints. Rarely are these issues so black & white.

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs
So this person was to secure permission for a location that was actually a mistake, and not the presumed cache area at all?

Really, I'm not meaning to be offensive, but this thread's not starting off very logically.

I think you missunderstood the point, if people hid caches and did say they had permission on the cache page, then the reverse would happen, when a cacher started to go onto private property and saw that this permission was not expressed on the cache page, they would know they are somewhere they shouldn't be.

You're the one who drug the other threads into the conversation. Much like these threads, I think you're mis-stating the positions of many in the forums.

This stance is one that comes up all the time, not just in the previous thread.

go ahead and break the law by sneaking into that cemetery or park after dark to get a FTF

I remember that thread, and don't think anyone espoused people breaking the law. Lots of points were brought up, like hours not being posted in some parks, or some areas being night friendly.

Just because we may not agree with your point of view, does not mean we have a "I do what I want, when I want" attitude. In all the threads you've mentioned there are well-constructed arguments against your viewpoints. Rarely are these issues so black & white.

Ahh, thanks for spinning a bit and cutting off the last part of where you quoted me. The point of that statement was when you don't say anything at all to people, you are basically condoning what they are doing.

I think you may have it wrong when you speak for the group and say that they don't agree with the point of view. I think if anything they choose to be quite rather than be ostracized by the community for speaking up. You can pull all the well-constructed conspiracy theory type thoughts you want, but when you read those threads as a whole, the point of them is that a certain practice as a whole is not done in good forum. As for the rarely are the issues so black and white part, they are, if you choose to read the whole thought as a whole and not try to spin it to suite your ideas.

I think you missunderstood the point, if people hid caches and did say they had permission on the cache page, then the reverse would happen, when a cacher started to go onto private property and saw that this permission was not expressed on the cache page, they would know they are somewhere they shouldn't be.

Actually, you are making a faulty logical leap. The hider has already attested to the fact that appropriate permission had been attained. The absense of the permission being detailed on the cache page does not mean that proper permission was not attained. Your assumption that it wasn't is one of the primary reasons for not implementing the 'permission icon' discussed in the other thread.

If we were discussing caching pups and several people posted that they owned a GSD, and I merely stated that I own a dog, does that automatically mean that Darby the Wonder Pup is not a GSD?

So basically, you went on a cache hunt where the coords were off by 1/4 mile. B)

Because the coords were off, you wound up somewhere that you shouldn't have been (private property), when in actuality, you should have been looking right next to the road?

How does this relate to the idea of a "placed with permission" icon?

If the icon had been present, you wouldn't have thought twice about jumping that fence and pickling the bull.

Apparently, that's what you did without the icon either, so what's the difference?

Oh, are you saying that if the icon had been available to the hider, but he chose not to use it, that would've alerted you to the fact that it was on public property? Maybe we should just have some "this cache is on public property" or "this cache is on private property" icons.

Of course now we run into the problem of you going onto the wrong private property, an still finding the bull.

We need a way to differentiate between which private property we mean.

Hey! I got an idea! Why don't we use those GPS things I've been hearing about and mark the location with the coordinates!

We never would have hopped a fence much less 3 fences and one of them being electric. B)

Our common sense would have told us something was wrong and we should not hunt this cache today. That is part of the risk taken when looking for a FTF. The owner could have made a mistake when typing the coords on the page.

If there had been an icon meaning the cache was placed by permission, then we may have thought the cache was on private property and gone over 2 of the fences if they were split rail or something easy, cuz we don't bend like we used to. We would never have gone over the electric fence, they are there for a reason! When the land owner wants to know why we are on his property and we say we have permission, well he certainly didn't give permission. The absence of an icon tells us the cache is on public property where no permission is needed.

As for the rarely are the issues so black and white part, they are, if you choose to read the whole thought as a whole and not try to spin it to suite your ideas.

B)

Rather than read each post in a thread and analyze each one for it's valid points, I should "read the whole thought as a whole"?

Sounds like we've got this forum thing wrong. The OP should just state the WHOLE truth in the first post, and everyone should say, "Yep, what he said."

As for the rarely are the issues so black and white part, they are, if you choose to read the whole thought as a whole and not try to spin it to suite your ideas.

B)

Rather than read each post in a thread and analyze each one for it's valid points, I should "read the whole thought as a whole"?

Sounds like we've got this forum thing wrong. The OP should just state the WHOLE truth in the first post, and everyone should say, "Yep, what he said."

I agree with GHH. What exactly are you saying? I read ALL of the threads you mentioned. I don't believe anybody was being shouted down or brow-beaten. There were varying opinions on every topic. Apparently, many of the posts didn't agree with your stance. This doesn't mean your position wasn't represented. It only means that you were in the minority on some of the issues.

Edit: Re-read and fixed post as it sounded like I was taking a poke at GHH, which I was not.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

So basically, you went on a cache hunt where the coords were off by 1/4 mile. :)

Because the coords were off, you wound up somewhere that you shouldn't have been (private property), when in actuality, you should have been looking right next to the road?

How does this relate to the idea of a "placed with permission" icon?

If the icon had been present, you wouldn't have thought twice about jumping that fence and pickling the bull.

Apparently, that's what you did without the icon either, so what's the difference?

Oh, are you saying that if the icon had been available to the hider, but he chose not to use it, that would've alerted you to the fact that it was on public property? Maybe we should just have some "this cache is on public property" or "this cache is on private property" icons.

Of course now we run into the problem of you going onto the wrong private property, an still finding the bull.

Hey! I got an idea! Why don't we use those GPS things I've been hearing about and mark the location with the coordinates!

Actually no, I did not go on the cache hunt and end up on private property, before you reply to a post just to be arguementative, why don't you reread everything and make sure you have your facts right so people don't have to go back and show you how you misread something or made it up so you could argue for the point of argueing. The next part of your post makes no sense to tell to me because I was not the one there and cannot defend them for what they did. I simply came up with a way that this might have not happened. For your last quip, maybe, just maybe if people learned to work the gps before they hid more caches than they have found, this wouldn't happen, but for now that is not what this thread is about.

:)

I love how you cut and paste my replies to suite you and don't show them in their full context. You pull out one small part and run with it instead of answering the whole statement. Here is my whole paragraph and I will play your game here just for fun...................

I think you may have it wrong when you speak for the group and say that they don't agree with the point of view. I think if anything they choose to be quite rather than be ostracized by the community for speaking up. You can pull all the well-constructed conspiracy theory type thoughts you want, but when you read those threads as a whole, the point of them is that a certain practice as a whole is not done in good forum. As for the rarely are the issues so black and white part, they are, if you choose to read the whole thought as a whole and not try to spin it to suite your ideas.

What I meant was that when a person posts something and the thread gets to be about a page long, 9 times out of 10, a reader can take that thread as a whole and see if the subject is right or wrong. Most cachers don't want to argue with you guys who aruge everything or pull one line out of context and run with it till the guy has no way to defend themselves because you have completey taken it out of context. I have gotten emails from folks on this thread already. Their main point has been I agree with you, but so and so (not naming names) is the biggest one of the bunch and I know what you mean. They don't want to speak up because you guys have bullied them into shutting up. They don't want the crap of not being accepted because they brought up something that is wrong, but a lot of people have no problem doing.

I agree with GHH. What exactly are you saying? I read ALL of the threads you mentioned. I don't believe anybody was being shouted down or brow-beaten. There were varying opinions on every topic. Apparently, many of the posts didn't agree with your stance. This doesn't mean your position wasn't represented. It only means that you were in the minority on some of the issues.

You didn't respond to me yet. Maybe you have me on ignore. Maybe you view me as someone unworthy of a response. If so, don't worry about it. My wife feels the same way. :) If not, am I off-base?

You seem to be upset or frustrated. I am just trying to understand your motivation and your message.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Trinity's Crew

I'm sure all the Wal-Mart caches have permission. :)

El Diablo

Coordinates can be wrong. Access can be had by different routes. "Which private property" is my biggest objection to caches on private property in general. No matter how good the permission, even signed, sealed and notarized, it is meaningless if the seeker is in the wrong place.

Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it is not. I have specific written permission for one in my area that I aborted once because I was not sure I was in the right place. I am still not sure and I don't think it is worth it even though it sounds like a VERY interesting cache.

I usually abort and ignore caches that are in cachers' own yards or porches for precisely the reason that coordinate error could put me in a neighbor's yard by mistake.

In general IMHO caches on private property that is not regularly open to public use are a bad idea, with permission or not.

1. If there had been an icon meaning the cache was placed by permission, then we may have thought the cache was on private property and gone over 2 of the fences if they were split rail or something easy, cuz we don't bend like we used to.

2. The absence of an icon tells us the cache is on public property where no permission is needed.

1. This is the only really good argument against the icon I have seen yet. It just might be compelling. I am contemplating going to the other side of my own debate.

2. The absence of an icon means NOTHING. It is bad logic to assume that absence of information = information to the contrary as has been the predominant argument in the "prmission" thread.

Well I was the one that had the encounter with an upset bull. I'll expound on the details a tad. First of all I traveled down an otherwise empty gravel road. The only thing within a quater mile was a farm house. The coords put the cache just on the other side of the house near the pasture. Uncomfortable with parking in the driveway I continue down the road about 600 feet past the pastures. I walked down a field lane to where the well kept pasture was. I then turned back towards the house and supposed cache. The area had enough sapplings that it was difficult to walk through. Inside was a poorly maintained fence. I crossed this fence and another fence that was also in bad shape. I though at the time it was an abandoned pasture. The area opened up and a third fence was near. The cache was supposed to be less than 100 feet away. I examined the fence and noticed an electric wire on top. Near where this energized fence met the newer and apparent current pasture the electric fence was down on the ground and I felt it was no longer in use. So I continued. This is where I met the unfriendly fella who was not at all comfortable with me presence! Quickly abandon the cache search and swear off returning for any reason.

In hindsight I should've followed that little voice in my head that said continue on and read the logs of other finders to confirm location. I didn't and I will blame my inner FTF tendencies on this. That being said I also wonder if the entry of the coords was incorrect or if the reading was incorrect. This is probably an entire thread by itself, but the same cacher had another cache published the same day and its coords were about .25 miles off as well. Even in the description he stated he had a serious drift problem and accuracy to only 46 feet. I just wonder what the hurry is to get a cache placed that a few extra readings, possibly on a different day could hurt? The cache placement suggest even state something similar I believe.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't know whether or not there should be an icon or icons stating whether or not it is on public or private property. I do know that if the description said it was not on private property I would have never done the stupid thing I did!

Long story short a newbie learned a valuable lesson that day!

see above

Actually no, I did not go on the cache hunt and end up on private property, before you reply to a post just to be arguementative, why don't you reread everything and make sure you have your facts right so people don't have to go back and show you how you misread something or made it up so you could argue for the point of argueing.

Sorry if I misread your post. That seems to be a common thing though. Why don't you try writing coherently?

Was what the OP really trying to say:

"When are we, as the Geocaching community, going to take seriously the rampant lack of adherence to the rules, which in the end may negatively affect the very sport we enjoy?"

That is a better question. That question can be addressed easier thant what was asked.

I don't feel I need to certify, verify, and gurantee that I have permission for placing a ultra micro on the back of a stop sign. If someone doesn't think I do, they can post a note saying they were uncomfortable. They can also bring it up to the community. If they are that strong against it, an SBA log will bring it to the attention of the reviewers.

"When are we, as the Geocaching community, going to take seriously the rampant lack of adherence to the rules, which in the end may negatively affect the very sport we enjoy?"

Your question assumes there is a "rampant lack of adherence to the rules." What many are trying to say is we don't see this happening. Just like when I was told to "take the whole as a whole" :mad: you're asking us to skip logic and reasoning and go straight to the place where we believe there's people flying through cemetaries at night knocking over gravestones and jumping over fences to place micros on private property sans permission.

That ain't happening around here, and I seriously doubt it's happening much in your neck of the woods.

So to answer you question of WHEN"- we will WHEN we actually see the RAMPANT problems you're talking about.

I think what this topic boils down to everytime it comes up is responsibility. Yes, you are suppossed to get permission before you place a cache and yes you should know not to go into that park/cemetary after dark, and yes you should trade evenly or up, but a select few people ignore these issues so that they can log a cache or be a FTF.

It has been my experience as a Law enforcement officer that just about everyone will try to justify their actions. "I didn't know I was speeding", " I'm late for work", "I didn't see any signs that said I COULDN"T be here". Most people are generally good but can be a little selfish and self centered and that is why they Speed, trespass, or steal TB's. they think in their minds that they are either, not hurting anyone and I'll only be in here for a moment, or That guy is a jerk and He doesn't deserve this TB.

So, it is my opinion, based off of many years of dealing with people who break the law, that they are defending the habits that they practice themselves. So take some responsibility for what you do and get permission for your caches, list it on the page if its on private property and that you have permission, and post those park hours. Ok. If you play the game in a honorable manner, there isn't much else you can do except to lead by that example.

for spelin..sealli..speelin..for words not done right

Edited by Davispak

Stripped out yes, that was the point, although I think rampant is a bit much, but it's not mild either at times. Also, the stretching of boundaries of what rules we loosely have.

Edited by 5¢

Well, I'm a bit confused about this topic but if its about people saying its Ok to do whatever you want I don't think that's at all accurate. Your statement about illegally going into a cemetary, well I don't think I've ever seen anybody advocate doing illegal things during geocaching. At the same time, people are responsible for themselves. If they decide to do something illegal then they had better be prepared for the consequences.

Another statement was about event caches and multiple 'finds' for the event. Well, I think you saw a lot of opinions and many, myself included don't like it. However, to say flat out that its wrong, I'm not going to do that because there is no specific rule against it anywhere. The debate is should there be and my leanings were made clear.

At the same time, geocaching is a great sport because you can play it your way (within accepted standards and the law of course). If you want to chase FTF's you can, if you want to chase high numbers you can, you can choose simply to use it as an excuse to take a walk in the woods and ignore the FTFs and numbers if you want. That's one of its positive strengths, you can find what it means to you and what is important in it for you. There are probably as many reasons for caching as cachers and that's a very good thing that we shouldn't stifle with unnecessary rules/guidelines.

So as a matter of principle, I do not want a lot of rules or police or definitive statements saying this or that is wrong if whats objected to is not really harming anyone, a landowner/manager or the enivironment.

JDandDD

Stripped out yes, that was the point, although I think rampant is a bit much, but it's not mild either at times. Also, the stretching of boundaries of what rules we loosely have.

If this problem is sufficiently severe and widespread to "take seriously," what action should we take? Establish a Geo-constabulary and court of Geo-justice to investigate, apprehend, and punish? These questions aren't entirely rhetorical--a lot of the feedback that advises "just ignore it" to some scenario of rulebreaking or rudeness is based on the fact that there's nothing we can do about misbehavior. The only sanction we have--shaming offenders in the forums--will be unnoticed by most miscreants, will roll off others, and will incite some to more misbehavior.

The below listed is straight from the guidelines for listing a cache:

"There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain in notes to the reviewer section of the cache page. For example, if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the notes for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache."

So you are suppossed to list if you got permission for placing on private property in the notes on the cache page.So, no emblem, or seal of approval, or a certified copy of the Declaration of Independence is needed.Nuff said.

Edited for my lame non-spelling skills.

Edited by Davispak

So like the 2 caches I attempted to find this weekend by a guy who's coords were off by .25 miles and one guy I know almost got speared by a bull, people should just assume that this cache hidden on public property has a private landowners permission? This is my point thanks to your arguement. Things don't always work out perfectly. How does that old assume thing go. Oh yeah, when you assume, you make an...................

It doesn't matter if you're looking for a cache, wild game, your car keys, or an ice cream shop. YOU, the seeker, must determine for yourself the correct route to get there and abide by all laws.

"It would be nice if..." the cache owner posted the information for you, but you still have to determine if it is legitmate or not. Just because someone says they have permission doesn't mean it is always the case. Guess what? You can't do anything about them! All you can do is look out for yourself and make sure you are in an area you are allowed to be in...

...even if there's a cache page that points you there.

...even if there's a million dollars in the ammo box.

...even if...

Take responsibility for your own actions.

I go North and walk around some fencing. The coords are now telling me I need to be inside the fencing, so I go, across three fences including an (live) electric fence
Sorry but no icons nor mention of permission nor "friendly bull- just do not wear red" :( , would make me feel that I am doing the correct thing by going here. My experience tells me that something is either wrong with the listing, my information, my equipment, or something else. I have gone a lot of places to find a lot of caches. I'd just walk away and look for another. :o

How does adding a placed with permission icon or seal of approval prevent data from being incorrectly entered? If the incorrect data places the 'cache' in a location that complies with the guidelines how does that prevent it from getting published?

So what exactly were you ranting about again? Because I re-read the OP and the thread again before hitting add reply and it seems the only thing the responders agree on is we cannot understand the OP's point. :D