Good News...

StarBrand

I got a call today from the local Parks and Recreation director. He wants to work with our local Geocaching group to get MORE geocaches placed in the local parks. He even invited me to place 2 in the local Zoo - I expressed concern about the admission charge and he agreed to let anybody with a handheld GPS and mentioning geocaching in for free!!

I have a meeting next week with him and local law enforcement to go over geocaching guidelines and local placements so we can avoid any "public alarm" problems with caches. He wants every local park to have an area that would be good for hiding geocaches. He would like to develop unique containers for hides as well.

All this because he sees the value of bringing in even a small number of out-of-towners to spend time here.

Wow - I like this......

(just sharing)

It's not the first time one has approached geocachers. It has been happening more and more. Many land managers, park staffers and local officials see the value geocaching brings. Its a low impact, low cost way to provide recreational opportunities and introduce people to what their park, town, etc... have to offer.

That's cool! We took a trip to Scottsbluff last summer for two specific reasons: To visit the zoo and geocache! We even found your cache located just outside the zoo after they kicked us out of the zoo (stayed all the way until closing time) We might have to do a similar trip next summer now.

I got a call today from the local Parks and Recreation director. He wants to work with our local Geocaching group to get MORE geocaches placed in the local parks. He even invited me to place 2 in the local Zoo

<snip>

I can see the page for one of the zoo caches now <wavy imagination lines> "Terrain:1 Difficulty:5 ... Located in the rear corner of the Bengal Tiger exhibit and surrounded by shredded clothing and various bits of gnawed swag, this 5-gallon metal can is painted day-glo orange and has the Groundspeak logo imprinted on it for easy identification. The key to getting to this cache is speed ..." </wavy imagination lines>

:laughing:

Edited by ranger-rob

I can see the page for one of the zoo caches now <wavy imagination lines> "Terrain:1 Difficulty:5 ... Located in the rear corner of the Bengal Tiger exhibit and surrounded by shredded clothing and various bits of gnawed swag, this 5-gallon metal can is painted day-glo orange and has the Groundspeak logo imprinted on it for easy identification. The key to getting to this cache is speed ..." </wavy imagination lines>

B)

They have an ultra large model of this variety - also nearby lion brothers. I however was thinking more along the line of including it in the outdoor section of the chimp exhibit.

;)B)

I accompanied a cacher on a scouting hike for the placement of 6 caches in a property where the land manager wanted the caches to attract hikers and to point out the habitat restoration work being done. Haven't heard back yet on when those caches will actually be placed, but it was neat to be contacted at all.

I think the trick is to ensure that 'invited' caches are good ones. Land managers may want to caches to attract people to their locations - but cachers don't want a .1 mile grid of just-another-cache-cuz-I-can.

They have an ultra large model of this variety - also nearby lion brothers. I however was thinking more along the line of including it in the outdoor section of the chimp exhibit.

:(:)

Having seen chimps (in a zoo) and what they throw when they're agitated, that could be very entertaining for everyone but the designated "retriever". Might want to include some Handi-Wipes and Fabreeze as part of the swag. ;)

I think the trick is to ensure that 'invited' caches are good ones. Land managers may want to caches to attract people to their locations - but cachers don't want a .1 mile grid of just-another-cache-cuz-I-can.

It was remarkably easy to find attractive cache placements that corresponded with their flyer - sinkholes, mature longleaf pines (they flat top at around 100 years, we found a beaut), wetlands restoration and so on.

I think it's going to be a really nice hike loop. Though I suspect that the bureacracy will move so slowly on it that it won't get published til it's too hot for most folks to want to walk in that kind of open mature pine woods.

I was out caching in a local park this weekend when I struck up a conversation with a guy walking his dog. This is a remote park around a city reservoir with lots of trails and quite a few caches. He was interested in what I was doing, so I eventually explained the game and let him find a cache with me. Imagine my surprise when he mentioned that he was the country tax assessor. Fortunately, he loved the idea. He went on to show me a fairly well hidden path that led to an island (only accessible by land in the winter when water is low). Then he showed me a hidden stand of pine trees. He thought the idea was cool - saying "it is a great way to get taxpayers to see their beautiful parks."

I got a call today from the local Parks and Recreation director. He wants to work with our local Geocaching group to get MORE geocaches placed in the local parks. He even invited me to place 2 in the local Zoo - I expressed concern about the admission charge and he agreed to let anybody with a handheld GPS and mentioning geocaching in for free!!

I have a meeting next week with him and local law enforcement to go over geocaching guidelines and local placements so we can avoid any "public alarm" problems with caches. He wants every local park to have an area that would be good for hiding geocaches. He would like to develop unique containers for hides as well.

All this because he sees the value of bringing in even a small number of out-of-towners to spend time here.

Wow - I like this......

(just sharing)

I enjoyed my last trip to Nebraska (not including the car trouble before I got there). Having more caches would encourage me to visit again (besides, Sidney has the closest Cabela's to here) :D

This is great news! :D Maybe it will spread.

It is spreading. I've been contacted by a board member of a very large county park (2700 acres), asking me if I'd be interested in teaching a geocaching class there. There are currently 2 caches hidden within the park, but lots of room for more. I'm considering holding an event there, because there's a beautiful lake, a swimming beach, picnic grounds, and miles upon miles of hiking trails.

I've also been contacted by a local tourism promotion agency. They are encouraging us to place caches in some remote areas where they would like to see more activity. They are offering to provide swag for the caches, and are even considering subsidizing the minting of a local geocoin. I'm debating on whether to start it out with several normal caches or one epic multi...