Central London Event Cache - Opinions Sought

team tisri

Hi all, I've done some reconnaisance work and found what looks like it could be a good venue for an event cache in central London (the outskirts of the City, to be precise)

The pub offers wheelchair access, a couple of real ales, lager and the usual assortment of snacks and bar food. The area I'm looking at booking also has views over the Thames, the Tat(e) Modern and the Millennium Bridge.

I'm looking at holding the event in mid March on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. To give people chance to attend that means the 14th, 15th or 16th, depending on when most people can come.

If anyone has a preference please let me know - unless there are significant objections I'm going to go with Wednesday 15th March. Please also let me know if you'd plan on attending so I can give the pub an early idea of numbers.

I'll list the cache ready for approval by the end of the week so get in quick!

Cheers

John (1/2 of team tisri)

I forgot to mention, we're holding the Cache Flag 2 so need at least one person to come and move the flag on to the next event... :laughing:

Assuming you're thinking of the evening, I should be able to get there.

I'd prefer the Tuesday or Wednesday, though if it was the Thursday, I'd probably get there a bit late...

Bob Aldridge

Yes, something else I forgot to mention. Looking at starting the festivities around 6pm and going on until the last person leaves.

Happy to report the pub is very well appointed with regard to their provision for wheelchair users. They have a lift, and also an adapted loo (RADAR key needed but staff have them also).

Lovely views of the river, but don't be put off by looking for a pub called The Samuel Pepys like I was. The signs outside say TSP !!

Loadsa caches nearby too. Only advice to other wheelchair users is that the lift by the Millenium Bridge has not worked whenever I have been there so exit north onto the main road to seek a way home, to avoid a 2 mile detour along the river before you can get street access.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

The food and drink button on their website does not appear to be working, they do indeed offer drinks that even I couldn;t pronounce, and lots of food too. However, I was there at lunchtime and not too sure what their evening menu is like.

James, it didn't strike me as a bad thing that it is trendy, it was nicely trendy IMHO. The staff were nice too and I didn't feel out of place in my jeans.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

The web site could certainly do with a little more substance and a little less techno wizardry. I hate having to drag pages with a mouse trying to find what's actually there.

The pub does a range of food - I've eaten there a couple of times and found the food to be good. Lunch for two including drinks and tip came in a little over £30.

Obviously they also do a range of drinks - a couple of lagers, a couple of bitters, a strawberry beer and a cider for those into that kind of thing and the usual range of wines, spirits and champagne. If anyone is feeling wealthy and generous I think I also saw bottles of Dom Perignon for sale.

In the evening there is also a range of hot and cold snacks, from the regular "peanuts and crisps" to hot snacks. I haven't tried the hot snacks but they do look good. You can get a platter of seven varieties for (I think) £20.

Attended this last night and really enjoyed it. I think there's potential for a regular event!

Anyhow I've got a question on what's the correct form for logging coins & bugs following events. I came away with "Cache Flag 2", however I realise that other attendees will want to log it too so whats the normal practice? As I see it there are the following options:

1. Give everyone a day or so to log & drop it back into the event, then I'll retrieve it and it'll stay on my profile.

2. I retrieve it now, let others grab it to log it and then I'll grab it back after a few days and it'll stay on my profile.

Does it matter?

Attended this last night and really enjoyed it. I think there's potential for a regular event!

Anyhow I've got a question on what's the correct form for logging coins & bugs following events. I came away with "Cache Flag 2", however I realise that other attendees will want to log it too so whats the normal practice? As I see it there are the following options:

1. Give everyone a day or so to log & drop it back into the event, then I'll retrieve it and it'll stay on my profile.

2. I retrieve it now, let others grab it to log it and then I'll grab it back after a few days and it'll stay on my profile.

Does it matter?

Firstly, I would say it doesn't matter. Personally, to save you grabbing it twice, I'd say leave it a few days or so until everyone logs who wants to, then grab it. If it gets taken after that, you can always grab it back of course!

Secondly, big thank you to Team Tisri for organising this top notch event. We had a great time, and it was wonderful to put some faces to names. Clearing off an old DNF was a bonus as well... :)

Looking forward to the next one!

Dave and Mary