76 "x" Series Observations - Looking For Feedback

ickster

I'm on the cusp of upgrading from my year 2000 Yellow Etrex :ph34r: and have been lurking and watching the 60 CX ans 60 CSX observations forums. It seems that there are some significant issues surrounding these units and I am wondering if these problems are also inherent in the 76 CX and 76 CSX.

The lack of comments on the 76x series looks promising, but it may be that there are just fewer users. Can anyone provide some feedback on 76CS/CSX issues?

I have only had my 76Cx for a few days but my initial impression is very favorable. I also have a 76C so I have been making some side by side comparisons between the two. I have been extremely happy with my 76C. When Garmin announced the 76Cx, the big attraction for me was the high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF. I was hoping that it would provide better reception in heavily wooded areas, for both Geocaching and hunting.

I have been thoroughly impressed with the reception of the 76Cx. I always get a lock while in my house. Right now it has a lock on 9 satellites, and if I were to put my 76C beside it, it would indicate “Lost Satellite Reception”.

There are a couple of things that I am hoping Garmin will fix with a firmware up:

1. Reinstate the Alarm Clock.

2. Increase the time for the alerts, or make it user adjustable.

3. Increase the volume of the alerts, or include a volume setting.

4. Allow waypoints to be stored on the Micro SD (without having to use POI Loader

But overall extremely happy with the unit.

The new chip is what is attracting me. I've been waiting for the "next generation" and it appears to be here. In BC, I am always in moisture laden air under dense tree cover :laughing:

From what your saying PhntmArcher, there are a few issues similiar to both new 60 and 76 "x" series: alarm clock, low tonal for alerts, alert time, and storing WP's on the memory card.

Are any of the more serious issues apparent? Namely:

a. Power downs with lithium batteries;

b. Unexplained power downs; and

c. Significant "wandering" even when at rest.

As you can imagine, moving up from ol'yeller will be a step in the right direction, but I would like to have the least amount of problems when I take the plunge.