A Top Cacher

Geo Froggy

We recently had a contest to vote for the top state cacher, which started a discussion of what to base your vote on.

The qualities below were mentioned as a possible criteria, the number of hides and finds weren't a big consideration.

1. quality of hides,

2. the entertaining logs from their finds

3. how they promoted geocaching in the area

I think this is a good list, what do the rest of you think?

Jackie

We recently had a contest to vote for the top state cacher, which started a discussion of what to base your vote on.

The qualities below were mentioned as a possible criteria, the number of hides and finds weren't a big consideration.

1. quality of hides,

Jackie

Why does anyone have to be the 'Top Cacher'? Not being critical, just wondering.

It always makes me laugh when someone posts something like 'I went caching with the #2 geocacher in the world.'

I think I didn’t word that very well. :ph34r: It was more the cacher of the year award. I think it is a nice gesture to recognize outstanding efforts by a geocacher to promote our game to others as well as helping the caching community.

Jackie

In that case, I vote that you use weight as a rating system. Not their weight, of course, but the weight of the junk that they CITOd.

EDIT: Another unfortunately merged post. Bah!

Edited by sbell111
1. quality of hides

Too subjective. Some people would see a 10 mile hike in the snow for one cache to be a good thing; others won’t bother if there aren’t six caches within 100 yards of the parking area. Each type of cache has its own value, but that value is indefinable.

Again, too subjective. Some people get a kick out of NudeCacher’s logs, some find them obscene.

Promoting the game has been a mixed blessing at best, more so for those of us who started playing early on.

Geocaching's not exactly a sport you can assign objective criteria to, because everyone does it for their own reasons and in their own way. I like hunting benchmarks as well as caches, for example- in fact, that can be more fun for me.

It's not like chess or soccer where there's a completely objective standard. Since we all do it for different reasons and have different criteria for having fun, I'm not sure there is a "top cacher" criteria.

Hides are measurable. (Other numbers are indicative of nothing but the fun we have and the miles on our vehicles.)

Travelling to events to meet fellow cachers in other areas, since it is a state award.

Willingness to help others in the caching community.

Organizing events for cachers to get acquainted with one another.

A fair pool of candidates (not just 2) to select from / as cachers of the year.

Unbiased "judge(s)" to select the "winner" based on their merits.

Yes, I was the person that called out what I saw as a shoe in win in your local group and the war of e-mails has started because of my comments. But with only 2 candidates being nominated in the entire state, I feel something was obviously wrong. I will be the first to say I'm not worthy or expect any type of award in the state or any level. I'm involved in caching for the interesting sights and people that I encounter. I've made some very dear friends I'd never had if not for caching. Just as I've met some others that help me understand why abortion is legal. There were some very worthy people who didn't get their name in the hat for consideration. Part of the error was mine as I was a member of the group the announcement was made on 1/1 for nominations. Whether I checked the mail after too much festivity or simply overlooked it is beyond me. It's not just numbers...it is much more as you state. With the regional divisions of the hobby, is it possible to know of one's merits in another area? I don't feel it is. There could be many worthy of the award and only 2 were nominated by their peers?

We have the Southern California Geocachers Trophy. The SCG Trophy is an award that was generously donated by FishPOET a few years ago. It is presented to those geocachers who have made a significant and positive contribution to the Southern California Geocaching community. It rotates from person to person, given away at our major events throughout the year. I'm not sure how they decide who gets it. It's a committee or something. The trophy has a travel bug tracking number and it is a tradition that the winners log the trophy in and out of caches during the period that they hold the trophy. These are not virtual logs either:

5ab52c97-3203-475b-a0a3-e4113e8b6be6.jpg

397523_200.jpg

I'm a member of various groups. (No longer the Roanoke, VA group as my own decision.) I recall the MD geocaching group accepts nominations on various categories. It is much easier because it is on a state site and not a regional site. MD is also much smaller than VA and from what I've seen in the many posts there, many of them seem to know one another as well as the caches in the state.

I loved the TB idea where it travels with the recipient from cache to cache on their travels. It's a great idea that I'd like to use for an upcoming milestone event for some local cachers.

1. quality of hides,

Jackie

I think it will work very well in some regions, the SCG Trophy mentioned by tozainamboku, for example.

If I were to judge "regional behavior" by examining forum posts, I can see where this would not work at all. :ph34r:

One of the reasons I was really interested in this topic was because of reading, in one of the regional forms, about the death of a cacher. It was so very obvious that this man was much beloved by the cachers in his state. It was just a coincidence that the award issue came up at this time, and the two seemed to fit together.

CC I didn’t vote because being new and not having many finds I didn’t feel I knew the cachers, in this area, well enough to vote. I do know you from an event. You circulated among the attendees, made me feel welcomed, explained evil micros to me, and even carried my cooler. I appreciated that very much, and if I had felt better able vote, you would have been one of the possibilities I would have considered voting for (well before you said you shot a snake). :ph34r:

Jackie

To actually answer the OP's question.

The following are important criteria for me [and only me] in deciding who is or is not a good cacher. (not really any such thing as "best").

1. Have they found caches

2. Have they found caches regularly since starting

3. Have they traded fairly

4. Do they log more than TNLN

5. Do they log DNF's

6. Do they hide caches

7. Do they maintain Caches (thier own or other's)

8. Do they obey the law while caching

9. How many year's have they cached

10. Are they nice folks ('play well with others' sort of thing)

All that wrapped up in some fashion.

Just me 'tho

I never realized there was voting going on or nominations for the matter. I don't feel worthy of what should be a highly regarded award. I have strong feelings one of our local cachers is worthy of it. When I travel to various states, it's usually said "you are from where ___ lives." But in a state the size and shape of VA, it's difficult for word to get out and cachers to know one another. I'm in an area where it's easier to travel to 2 other states than travel to the closest group in our own state.

I appreciate the thought of the vote for carrying the cooler and mingling with the crowd. But I would rather have a vote based on number of hides, recruiting new cachers, talking to groups about caching, and taking less fortunate cachers out on my $2+ / gallon to enjoy a hobby / obsession that I have. That is giving back to geocaching, in my book.

After going out sick in the nasty weather over the weekend, I ended up feeling worse as the weekend went on. I'd sleep a few hours and then have to get out of bed and found a couple of "can you believe this" e-mails. I shouldn't have been as sarcastic with my post to your group and I apologize for that. But what merits should a person have, how should the selection(s) be made, and how should nominations be solicited? My opinion of the matter is that it's nothing more than a joke. Maybe the next years "award" will be handled in a different manner.

I know this may sound a bit unfriendly (not intending it to be), but I really don't have any interest in how many finds/placed the most caches/hiked the longest trail/ etc etc etc....another cacher has. I am doing it for the fun I can have from it, the places I get to see, the stories I get to hear and tell , the caches I place and so on....

Things always get less interesting to me when it has to be made into a recognition or any kind of a competition. It's just a fun hobby to me so I really don't see the need to get worked up over the numbers.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, "Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and they all stink" :laughing:

Well I have only been caching since Thanksgiving Day 2005 and I can tell you that I enjoy this more than I ever expected to. Who do I think should an accecptable canidate for an award? A cacher who has devoted a lot of time to both FINDING AND HIDING. Someone who is so devoted to the sport that they are known not only in their home area but in many other areas as well. A cacher that you can call at anytime for help and they will drop what they are doing just to help you get the find. A cacher who will give up an entire day to drive you around or ride around with you helping you with the gadgets and the maps of sport jsut so that you can get the find. A cacher who gets as excited about you having 100 finds as he if you had 10,000 finds.

All about the numbers? Well isnt it? Isnt it all about how many caches you can find? And if it wasnt for cachers hiding then what would be looking for. So I think it more important to give an award to someone who puts the caches out there for us to find. I think it is important to notice someone who has done a lot for the sport and how can you do that with only a few hundred finds...FYI....I only have 544 so I would not qualify.

Sbell111 has an interesting idea of having categories. At least then there might be some chance of objectivity. But as has been pointed out by others in this topic trying to say top cacher is too subjective. It concievable that there are almost as many ways to cache (play the game) as there are cachers.

JDandDD

Well one thing that certainly isn't a deciding factor is the number of finds. Some of the biggest jerks I've met in my local area are some of the biggest finders. They hide very few themselves and are ultra critical of everyone elses efforts to create new caches.

I know who'd I'd nominate in my areas. An older couple that spend unbelievable #s of hours creating intricate caches. They epitomize, in my mind, the best in caching. They make me crazy cause I'd stupid as a post and have to ask for hints all the time, but when I complete one of their caches I really have a sense of satisfaction.

I'm a member of various groups. (No longer the Roanoke, VA group as my own decision.) I recall the MD geocaching group accepts nominations on various categories. It is much easier because it is on a state site and not a regional site. MD is also much smaller than VA and from what I've seen in the many posts there, many of them seem to know one another as well as the caches in the state.

We're a pretty good group, thanks for noticing us! :( We do our voting once per year, and one per award (unless there's a tie). Last year we got some feedback on some of the awards to regionalize them a bit better (ie best cache of the year). While we're not a large state, we do cover a lot of territory from one end to the next. The state is also very different at one end than it is on the other, and even in between, so "most scenic", like "best" could be divided up as well.

The Categories are:

1. Geocacher of The Year - Which geocacher(s) from June of last year until now has been the most dynamic in the state of Maryland.

2. Geocacher Rookie of The Year - Which geocacher(s) have really jumped on the scene this year and served up notice to all of us that they embody all facets of caching and do it well. This must be a member who has joined since May of last year (ie. June – present).

3. Geocache Hider of the Year - Which geocacher has consistently put out great hides all year and maintained them well. You can consider many things when selecting a nominee for this category.

4. Best Cache Hide of the Year - Think about the one geocache in the borders of Maryland that either put a big smile on your face or earned your respect. Again, many aspects of a geocache can be considered for the nominees in this category.

5. Most Scenic Hide of the Year - What new Maryland hide put you in the spot that made you want to stay there for a long time and enjoy the view.

That's how we've done it for a few years and it's worked well. Like I said, it needs some tweaks these days but that may help you see what others have done. We do it before our big summer picnic (over 130 people last year!) and present certificates and lots of applause.

:)

I personally think that I'm The Best Cacher...

Well, that how we'll do it. If you think your the best, than I guess you are. :D

Thank you for your great support. :D:D:D

The best cacher is the one that thinks of themselfs as the best cacher a. k. a. selfconfidence.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Top cachers get praised in my online logs...quality, well-maintined caches get top honors and praises.

Cruddy caches from cruddy cachers get TNLN logs.

Also, cacher to contribute to caching (throw events, write articles, inspire others) normally do so for the love of the game...not to recieve a trophy or to be named "top cacher" (although I imagine some would relish it and whine for ages until they got it).