Category Proposal: Rails To Trails

Yes, Trailhead for the coordinates. Could also have coordinates for other access points. Could have things like Length, fees if any, tunnels, trestles, history, web site URLs, etc. These trails are anywhere from 1-2 miles up to well over a 100 mile long. I think the longest one in the United States is something like 175 miles long.

More Thoughts:

Needed Information ---

Trailhead Coordinates (could have more than one trailhead, one would be all that was needed)

Trail Location: where to where

Trail Length:

Trail Surface: gravel, asphalt etc.

Activities Allowed: walking, biking, cross country skiing, camping, etc

Photo at trailhead with GPSr

Nice to Have Information ---

Coordinates of other access points

Website URL(s) if any

Trail description

Trail review

Photos of the trail

There is a achieved Locationless Cache - Trails from Rails (GCC155)

I have sent an e-mail to the cache owner.

There are also several Vitual Cashes that have to do with Rails to Trails.

Sure would be nice to get all these great caches into one basket.

Edited by geo-duo

Thanks chstress53,

I checked the posts inside outside and upside down looking for any posts on this. I would have bumped it. My main hope that this can become a category for all to enjoy. Any thing else like managing would be a fun plus. I am a big railfan and history buff and I think this would be a very popular category. GCC155 had 774 posted visited, not bad. Look out MickyD :)

cheers, geo-duo

Thanks for the bump Maplady,

I thought about it for a while before I proposed it because of the Mountain Bike Trail Category. I decided that you can do more then just ride a bike on the rail trails. Plus rail trail each has a special history that can be enjoy and they are being developed in many different countries.

All Aboard,

Rod