Pda/cachemate Questions

I thought I would start a new thread, rather than hijack the current thread on this. I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, but I have never used a PDA and it is one technology with which I'm unfamiliar. I don't know the different manufacturers/OS/etc.

Since I have heretofore managed to function professionally without one, I don't need the newest fanciest PDA, but I want one that I can run cachemate on and go paperless. I browsed ebay for some cheap used PDAs, but it's a little overwhelming not knowing which ones I need... I know cachemate needs Palm OS 3+, but most of these auctions don't list the OS.

So I guess I just need a little help finding a nice cheap setup that I can get my feet wet with.

Also, I know that Target, etc. carry some reasonably cheap PDAs by Panasonic etc... Does anybody know if these el cheapo PDAs will run cachemate?

thanks for your help.

:ph34r:

For cachemate, you want a Palm-based PDA. Anything above a Palm III has OS 3. For cheap ebay deals, look for any of the roman numeral Palm models, III, IIIc, IIIe, IIIx, IIIex, V, Vx, VII, VIIx. After that came the m series. m100, m105, etc.

Basically, OS 3.0 (or better) comes on most palm models except for the very first few. Cachemate is highly backward-compatable, and you would be hard-pressed to find a model that it doesn't run on.

Even though PDA's seem new to you, that's only because you haven't used one.

Just make sure a unit runs the Palm OS, which cachemate needs. The other system - Pocket PC - also runs some good caching programs, but not cachemate.

Almost any but the very earliest units can be upgraded with downloadable OS updates. I bought a Palm 500 on eBay and it works perfectly with cachemate (and some other software that I also downloaded, such as FuelLog and some games) My unit is a factory reconditioned model, so it runs like new.

The hardest thing for some people to learn with a PDA is the "graffitti" writing system. Everything else is a snap. Go for it and you won't look back.

I started using Cachemate on an original Palm III with Palm OS 3.0 and worked just fine. Only moved to a Palm T|X when I wanted to use a Bluetooth GPS. You can only upgrade as far as Palm OS 3.3 on a Palm III now so if you think you'll need a newer OS you would have to start with at least a m125 or newer to get Palm OS 4.0.

JDandDD

Thanks for the input so far. Is the size of the memory an issue with pocket queries? How much do I need?

Also, I assume that I don't need wireless connectivity and that I can just interface thru my pc...

2M will hold a 500-cache database quite handily. Yeah you just interface through the PC. Bluetooth wireless on a palm comes in handy when you want to use your palm with a bluetooth gpsr. Since you already have a handheld gpsr, you won't need it.

we just bought a Palm z22, will cachemate work with this and also where do I find the download for cachemate?

Cachemate Download

But the question isn't about a GPS.

:lol:

But it is about software - Cachemate. :ph34r: Not sure how experienced of an eBayer you are (I've only bought 2 things there), but I wouldn't have my heart set on getting that VIIx NIB for $20. I made a bid on like 5 IIIxe units before finally winning one for $10.50. Pure luck that I got it that cheap, as most of the IIIxes eventually went for $25-40, when the most I wanted to spend was $20. I was about to give up on the eBay route when I won the auction. BTW, I went out paperless for the first time this weekend, and the Cachemate/GSAK combo is great. It was unexpectedly easy. Bring the GPX file into GSAK, export to Cachemate PDB, hit the hotsync button on the PDA's cradle, and I was good to go.

You might find, as I have, that a Palm organizer has LOTS of uses other than for CacheMate. I've been using a Palm Tungsten T for over 3 years. It is a wonderful device that I've come to be very dependent on. I keep phone numbers, to-do's, appointments, etc. on it. Also, there's a great set of programs available that let you use the Palm as an electonic TV Guide. It's great for searching for a movie or ball game I'm interested in. Also, there are versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, as well as Adobe Acrobat that run on the versions of Palms that use the 5.0 version of the operating system. Also, I can sync my Palm with Outlook Express and read, as well as, compose email. If you're into games, there are lots of great games available. The versatility of these devices is just amazing.

The Tungsten T series has 16 M of internal memory and also uses an SD card. It runs CacheMate great and lets you color-code caches that you want to bookmark (those you want to find this weekend).

While you're looking on Ebay for Palm devices, you might want to invest a few more $$$ and get a device that will do lots more than run the CacheMate program.

Edited by Guitar4Him

I've had a couple of Palm powered devices (Handspring Deluxe, Palm IIIc and Tungsten T3). The color screens are nice, especially the newer units with OS v5. The greyscale screens, in my experience, are much better in sunlight. The color screens wash out and are difficult to see unless you are in a shady area. Shadows help but can still be too bright.

But the question isn't about a GPS.

B)

But it is about software - Cachemate. B) Not sure how experienced of an eBayer you are (I've only bought 2 things there), but I wouldn't have my heart set on getting that VIIx NIB for $20. I made a bid on like 5 IIIxe units before finally winning one for $10.50. Pure luck that I got it that cheap, as most of the IIIxes eventually went for $25-40, when the most I wanted to spend was $20. I was about to give up on the eBay route when I won the auction. BTW, I went out paperless for the first time this weekend, and the Cachemate/GSAK combo is great. It was unexpectedly easy. Bring the GPX file into GSAK, export to Cachemate PDB, hit the hotsync button on the PDA's cradle, and I was good to go.

I Have also used Gsak to to export all those caches into a garmin file which can then be opened in Mapsource or city select and dump all cords at one time into my gps. Really cool program, saves alot of time. ;)

You might find, as I have, that a Palm organizer has LOTS of uses other than for CacheMate. I've been using a Palm Tungsten T for over 3 years. It is a wonderful device that I've come to be very dependent on. I keep phone numbers, to-do's, appointments, etc. on it. Also, there's a great set of programs available that let you use the Palm as an electonic TV Guide. It's great for searching for a movie or ball game I'm interested in. Also, there are versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, as well as Adobe Acrobat that run on the versions of Palms that use the 5.0 version of the operating system. Also, I can sync my Palm with Outlook Express and read, as well as, compose email. If you're into games, there are lots of great games available. The versatility of these devices is just amazing.

You forgot to mention games. I've got ChessTiger and Lemmings as wel as Cachemate on my PalmIIIx.

Thanks for the input so far. Is the size of the memory an issue with pocket queries? How much do I need?

I had a Palm IIIxe with 8 megs, I now have a Palm M125 with 8 megs and an SD card. In just the memory I've had over 1200 caches loaded. Now I have a file on the SD card of my finds (with just my logs) as a reference file. With about 550-600 caches, and the lower memory overhead for the SD file, for a total of 2050 caches, CacheMate uses about 4.6 megs on my PDA. So 2 megs seems barely enough (with other things on the PDA), while 8 megs is plenty. Good luck - with the right timing you can get a PDA off eBay for one dollar. B)

Got a Palm VIIX (factory refurb) plus all the goodies (docking station, leather wallet, etc) for $25.

Will update when I get 'er up and running, or come back crying for help when it doesn't work... LOL.

Thanks again for your help. I wouldn't have thought I could do it this cheaply... that's why I hadn't even bothered looking yet.

As far as how much memory you need, it really depends on how you are _willing_ to use it?

A older 2 MB model means you are probably limited to a couple hundred caches. This means the immdiatre are you cache in. Anything outside of that you will have to erase and reupload caches to the PDA based on that area.

In the Chicago suburb that I currently live in, there are slightly under 150 available caches in about a 5 mile radius.

If you use the PDA for anything else like a calendar or address book (handy in caching as well) you need to consider that. I would probably look at a minimum of 8 MB if I were looking again.

I used to use a Sony Clie that had a 128 MB stick and a 512MB CCF card, however I use it for work as well. I kept my whole DB of about 4500 caches in it (125 mile radius of my house). I now use a Treo 650 with a 1 GB SD card. I chose this because I have a camera available for virtuals, logs, etc and more memory than I could possibly use for GC plus my phone built in so I can keep my pants up now since I do not have the weight of the phone, pda, pager as well as the camera around my neck or in my pocket.

A sony can probably be had for under $150 now a days and the Treo set up I have invested about $310 including a desk charger, leather carrying case and the extra 1GB memory card. Depneds on what you want to spend and how you want to use it.

Just wanted to say thank you to everybody for their input and advice. I got my PDA this afternoon and downloaded cachemate, and imported my 60-mile geocache database.

Looks like I'm off and running. I will play with it and explore the various utilities such as logging aids/etc.

Looks like a powerful little program.

$8 well spent.

Thanks again, everyone!

:)

A couple months back, I won a bid on Ebay for a Palm IIIxe for $21 plus $4.80 shipping. It is in like new condition, has a hard cover and came with the HotSync base. I added CacheMate for $8 and we are now paperless caching! I have at least 500 caches stored on it and there's room for plenty more. We should have done this a long time ago.