Nmea Data From Usb

rmm200

I have a Magellan Explorist 600, which connects to the computer through a USB port.

The Magellan can be set to NMEA data transfer, V2.1 GSA, and is supposed to look like

a serial port.

Magellan installs their driver as a modem, on the first free com port.

In my case it is com18. NMEA data shows up OK on Hyperterminal.

MapSend does not seem to check com ports above com9, and does not detect my unit.

Anyone know how to determine what is using all the com ports, or how to free them?

My best idea so far is to disable the one com port user I know, the internal modem on port 3,

and force the explorist to use that.

Thanks!

Robert

Edited by rmm200

I have a Magellan Explorist 600, which connects to the computer through a USB port.

The Magellan can be set to NMEA data transfer, V2.1 GSA, and is supposed to look like

a serial port.

How do I define this USB port as a "soft" com port to Windows XP?

This is supposedly possible, and allows real time tracking from a laptop using Map Send.

So far the only com ports Map Send sees are not my GPS.

Thanks!

Robert

How exactly are you looking for the COM port? If you're going to "Options" and then selecting "GPS Settings," Autodetect should find it.

What version of MapSend are you using, DirectRoute or Topo3D?

Thanks NDA! I modified my original question out from under you...

This is MapSend 1.0, using options as you surmised.

MapSend only lists 4 of these 18 com ports: 1 (mouse), 3 (was internal modem),

8 (bluetooth) and 9 (bluetooth). It gives you no way to select a specific port not listed.

Autodetect did not find the GPS.

I am guessing Map Send was not written to expect two digit com port numbers.

Robert

I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but you could try to edit 'mapsend.ini' located in the Mapsend installation directory!

It's obviously placed.....

But you will be looking for the section called

[DEVICE_ DEFAULTS]

Com_Port=x

...etc

...etc

you can change x to equal whatever port you like.

I tend to do this to save Mapsend(in my case DiscoverAus!!), the 5 minutes it takes to search for the GPS, after a comport/virtualport change!!

But I've never tried any higher than Com_Port6!!!

Hmmm... I'm not sure if this would work (there are certainly more knowledgable folks on the boards about this) but have you tried plugging the USB cord into a different USB slot, to see if it shows up as a different COM port? Not sure if that would work, but if it did it might allow you to find a COM part in the 1-9 range.

The reason I suggest trying different USB slots is that each one might find itself identified as a different COM port. Again, this is just speculation. If the bluetooth connections are via USB, it might be an idea to unplug those while you're using your 600 (plugging the bluetooths in after the 600 might change the COM order such that the 600 was still available, and the bluetooth connections take the higher ports).

Problem is I don't know if an item has to be "plugged in" for it to register on a COM port or not. If it doesn't then switching to a USB mouse might free up COM 3, but again I don't know.

That's all I can think of right now -- sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

-Nathan