Gpsmap 60csx Forgets Map Scale

finlayson

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. When I'm navigating (with auto-zoom mode turned on), the map page correctly shows the map at an appropriate scale. (E.g., if the target is 10 miles away, the map is shown with the 8 mile scale.)

However, if I switch to another page (by pressing "page"), and then switch back to the map page (by pressing "quit"), the map is no longer drawn at the correct scale. To fix this, I need to "reevaluate" the route.

Is this a known issue? If so, how can I stop this from happening? I.e., how can I ensure that the map gets drawn at the correct scale (for navigating), each time I'm at the map page?

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. When I'm navigating (with auto-zoom mode turned on), the map page correctly shows the map at an appropriate scale. (E.g., if the target is 10 miles away, the map is shown with the 8 mile scale.)

However, if I switch to another page (by pressing "page"), and then switch back to the map page (by pressing "quit"), the map is no longer drawn at the correct scale. To fix this, I need to "reevaluate" the route.

Is this a known issue? If so, how can I stop this from happening? I.e., how can I ensure that the map gets drawn at the correct scale (for navigating), each time I'm at the map page?

Have you tried it without auto-zoom on? I ask because I think the issue is more one of the unit's idea of the correct scale for navigating is different than your idea, rather than the unit is having a defect per se. At least with my VistaC, using primarily Follow Road navigation with CS6/7, the zoom level is usually enough to show the whole route right after a recalculate, but it generally zooms in a lot for turns, and then zooms back out a fair distance (but not all the way). If it stayed at the display the whole route scale most of the time, I'd never see any of the roads that I'm actually on. If the maps/navigation you're using are very different, though, then whatever it's using to calculate an appropriate scale may be off.

Keith

Have you tried it without auto-zoom on?

No, because I *want* auto-zoom. I think you may have misunderstood my question. If I stay on the map page (with auto-zoom turned on), then the map correctly adjusts its scale as I get closer to my target. However, if I go to a different page, then return to the map page, I find that the scale is wrong.