Do People Want Gc.com Trackable Coins?

res2100

We had a lot of fun making our 2005 Ontario Geocoin and it sold easily. We really wanted to make it trackable on geocaching.com, but in the end it just seemed too costly and made it trackable elsewhere instead.

Now since we enjoyed it so much, but didn't keep enough of the 2005 Ontario Geocoin for trading for other coins we like, we thought of making another geocoin. We've come up with a design for a city coin from where 3 of us are from and also a personal coin based on our favourite series of puzzle caches that we've put out.

Once again we are struggling with the thought of making them trackable on geocaching.com or not. Not sure if it's worth charging people $1.65 US ($1.50 per coin + $150/1000 for icon) more per coin. And hard justifying the cost to make 1000 coins especially with the higher cost of making coins in Canada. We paid up front for the 2005 Ontario geocoins as opposed to doing pre-orders and plan to do the same again if we decide to make other coins. We're looking at making 500 coins again, or maybe as much as 700 for the city coin.

So the question is, would people pay the extra $1.65 per coin if the coin is trackable on geocaching.com, or does it really not matter to most people.

If I like the coin, I'll buy or trade. Trackable makes no difference. Sometimes it can actually take away from the overall design because they have to be approved, and some (Like the Compass Rose 2005) have just a really plain-jane back design. I've only got 2 coins activated, one of which stays with me at all times and it's just a matter of time before the other vanishes. If they stay in a collection (As many if not most do) then I don't see how that can make much difference.

I am the same as AG I really don't care either way. I have several, probably less than a third, of my coins that are trackable and have yet to activate any of them. I think I would be more likely to put one of the less expensive non trackable coins into a cache than a loggerhead or a heart of Texas coin, that are more than likely going to disappear before they are ever logged anyway. :)

We had a lot of fun making our 2005 Ontario Geocoin and it sold easily. We really wanted to make it trackable on geocaching.com, but in the end it just seemed too costly and made it trackable elsewhere instead.

Now since we enjoyed it so much, but didn't keep enough of the 2005 Ontario Geocoin for trading for other coins we like, we thought of making another geocoin. We've come up with a design for a city coin from where 3 of us are from and also a personal coin based on our favourite series of puzzle caches that we've put out.

Once again we are struggling with the thought of making them trackable on geocaching.com or not. Not sure if it's worth charging people $1.65 US ($1.50 per coin + $150/1000 for icon) more per coin. And hard justifying the cost to make 1000 coins especially with the higher cost of making coins in Canada. We paid up front for the 2005 Ontario geocoins as opposed to doing pre-orders and plan to do the same again if we decide to make other coins. We're looking at making 500 coins again, or maybe as much as 700 for the city coin.

So the question is, would people pay the extra $1.65 per coin if the coin is trackable on geocaching.com, or does it really not matter to most people.

No on the tracking :)

Well, one thing to remember -- According to the new rules, if it's not trackable and there's even the sightless, remote possibility, that you might sell them --- you're not suppose to be talking about them. In fact I'm surprised the mods haven't shutdown this thread, considering that the last time someone asked "should I make them trackable?" the thread was locked and they were told they could post again, if they decided to make them trackable.

Windrose

IF it's related to geocaching and available at a reasonalble price (< $7), I might pick up one for my collection as long as it isn't being produced in large numbers. If it's trackable, I'll usually buy at least two - one to collect and the other to release. If the price is reasonalbe, maybe one or two more for traders.

Keep in mind that the folk responding to this thread are "serious" collectors, not the average cacher/collector. For the less hard core types if it's not trackable, they aren't interested. I wish I had a coin for every email that I recieved a response to that included the questions, "Is it trackable?" or, "Which of those are trackable?"

One need only look at the relative prices brought on Ebay for trackable vs non-trackable. Trackable/icon coins tend to sell for 2 to 3 times what non-trackable do. The longer the coin has been out, the more pronounced the difference becomes. Compare North Dakota and Indiana to New Mexico and Colorado for example. I believe those coins were made in relativley similar numbers, but the former sell at $8 - $12, while the later sell at $30 - $45. The numbers speak clearer than opinion.

Also, according to the new rules, you can get an Icon with only 500 coins if it's a personal coin. As pointed out earlier, you cannot promote a non-trackable coin here for anything other than trading. So if you're looking to sell them...

Finally, there isn't a non-trackable coin in my collection I wouldn't gladdly pony up an extra $1.65 to make it trackable with an Icon.

IMHO tracking is a huge wast of money. If you really want to send that money put it back into the coin in the form of better dies, serial numbering, epoxy coatings etc. Even if you do make the coin trackable, most will never be activated let alone actually tracked.

I believe it is only attractive to the icon collectors out there.

That's it in a nutshell. You have two segments in collecting - Those that like coins and those that like icons.

I don't agree, I like coins and icons, if I get two, I activate one, if I don't get two, maybe I do, maybe I don't.

I don't think you can put it in a "nutshell" like that, it's not all black and white.

I have been collecting coins for a few months now. I collect the ones that I like the design of--the ones that catch my eye. I don't care if they are trackable or not. Although the ones I trade for or buy on ebay if trackable, I want to be sure they have not been activated. IMHO personal coins don't need to be trackable as they quite often aren't meant to travel. The only coin I have activated in my collection is the one I got for my first FTF. That I use to track my mileage.

That's it in a nutshell. You have two segments in collecting - Those that like coins and those that like icons.

I'd have to agree with the posters that dispute this. I like watching travelbugs move around, so I prefer trackable geocoins. When I purhcase geocoins, it is usually with the intent to release them to geocaches. Those that I've released so far seem to be moving pretty well - though they don't spend much time in a cache before being picked up. From the logs on the coins, many of the finders do enjoy adding another icon to their profile.

edited for double post

Edited by tokencollector

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the solution for those who want to track their coins that was given when I asked way back about making the SC coin trackable...

Why make everyone pay for something that few will use? If someone wants to track a coin they can attach a TB tag/number to it.

This really made sense. How many coins do you see in the wild that is just the coin? I've not seen any, but I'm sure there are some. I'd say most are in baggies or other container and has something attached to it. Additionally, the owner of the coin has the choice of where to track the coin be it here, a competitor, or a personal site.

Again, why make everyone foot the bill for the few who will release them to the wild?

Just a thought.

BTW, the Sissy-n-CR coin will be trackable, just not here. :ph34r:

Why would I add a travel bug tag which is $4.25 to a coin that is $7.00? That doesn't make sense and it would certainly be expensive.

So you don't force those who will never use the tracking to subsidize your tracking.

In this case, the break-even is if ~38% of the coin buyers are going to use the tracking mechanism at all, much less release it to the wild. Would a collector activate the coin or leave it unactivated for higher value later?

This question could be easily answered by looking at a series and seeing if the coins are actually activated and then if they are released to the wild. That should tell you if it is worth it or not from this angle.

Kcart and prntr1 ask yourself this questions: Have you passed on a coin simply because it didn't offer an icon?

There are 2 groups. While you both can say you like both (I could say that about myself also), you each lean a certain way more than the other. Therefore it IS that black and white :ph34r:

Granted, I may lean a certain way. Who doesn't? Alright. I'm an icon ho. There. I said it. Can someone please provide coordinates of the nearest 12 step program? :lol:

Regardless, while I own and try to obtain coins with unique icons, I have also passed on some. That doesn't mean I don't still want them. :o I also own and try to obtain other cool coins for different reasons. There is no hard, fast rule ... but varying shades of gray ... for me anyway.

©¿©¬

Kcart and prntr1 ask yourself this questions: Have you passed on a coin simply because it didn't offer an icon?

There are 2 groups. While you both can say you like both (I could say that about myself also), you each lean a certain way more than the other. Therefore it IS that black and white :ph34r:

I have passed on icon coins, I have passed on non icon coins, I have passed on cheap coins, I have passed on expensive coins.

I like what I like, that's it in a nutshell.

Fair enough kcart, but thank you for admitting you "lean" a certain way and thus would prefer a trackable coin over a non-trackable coin. That's all I was trying to say. There are 2 groups. Sure a handful of people can fall outside of either (look at prntr1), BUT, if you could do an accurate stats count, that percentage would be low.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Fair enough kcart, but thank you for admitting you "lean" a certain way and thus would prefer a trackable coin over a non-trackable coin. That's all I was trying to say. There are 2 groups. Sure a handful of people can fall outside of either (look at prntr1), BUT, if you could do an accurate stats count, that percentage would be low.

I guess I sway in the wind, I drove to WV via Atlanta to try and get one of your coins :ph34r: non trackable Didn't work out :lol: 250 Miles out of my way :P Recently made a cache trip to Chicago for a PROJECT APE icon, 1640 miles :o

I guess the only thing in a nutshell about geocoins are we must all be nuts :P

ps, i like smiley icons too!!!

I kinda like prntr1 when he said "I like what I like". Each of us has our own tastes and collect the coins for our own reasons. I get a coin if it attracts my attention with it's design. I have had some people decline a trade because my personal coin isn't trackable. I've had other people who will trade a trackable coin for my non trackable personal.

Obviously if you make the coin trackable then there a large number of people who will buy it for the icon. There are also quite a few people who won't go out of their way to buy it because it's trackable. This is one discussion that will never be settled conclusivly because as AG pointed out there are really 2 schools of thought with a few in the middle.

When you make up your coins you should be the one who decides what you want to accomplish with the coin and what you want it to be.

I don't think I can comment on this topic honestly and candidly without saying something that would get me banned from these forums for life, so I'll just stuff a sock in it. :laughing: (RD quietly turns his back to the forum and shoves a dirty gym sock in his mouth....). Besides, that horse has already been beaten to a bloody pulp anyway. That should give you some idea of which way I would vote. Although if you decide to make it trackable (oops, I spilled the beans), you might as well donate another $150 to help feed SIGNAL. He's looking a little peaked lately, just look at him, and you'll see what I mean " :o ". Besides, if I'm going to go to the trouble of activating a coin, it's nice to at least have a cute little icon to show for it. I don't generally "Track" coins in the traditional sense, mainly because my personal experiences with coin tracking have proven less fruitful than an evening of Snipe hunting.