Some Advanced Search Types Are Not Working?

Some of the advanced search types are not working for me. If I try to search by keyword, or username (found) or username (owner), all I ever get back is "There are no records within 10 miles of the location you selected." This doesn't make sense because it didn't ask me to select a location. I know the username searches were working for me a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas?

Thanks, you are right.

In general, I'm having a really tough time figuring out how to navigate through the Waymarking site. My latest difficulty is trying to understand the "location filter" on a category page. What's the difference between "location filter" and "waymark search"? The location filter doesn't seem to do anything, but the waymark search seems to work like I expect, showing me waymarks near the location I specify.

The waymark search behaves kind of like the 'Seek a cache' option on GC.com: you type in a postal code, and you see all the waymarks that are near that postal code. When doing a search this way, the variety of different types (categories) of waymarks which are retrieved is filtered according to where you are in the category tree at the time you do the search. For example, if you do a postal code waymark search while looking at Directory Home > Places > Buildings, you see a list of all the buildings near your postal code. If you do the same postal code search while looking at Directory Home > Places > Buildings > Religious Buildings your search results are limited to Religious Buildings.

The location filter applies to categories, not waymarks. If you set a location filter and then begin pushing down through the directories into the lower level categories, you will only see categories (or subcategories) which contain waymarks within 10 miles of your specified location.

I haven't been able to really figure out the value of the location filter yet. The confusing thing is that even though the categories are filtered, when you finally get down to the bottom (where the waymarks are), ALL the waymarks are listed, not just those confined by the location filter.

It would make more sense to me if once you set the location filter, you only those waymarks which were within 10 miles of your current location filter setting were shown.