Logging Tb While On Vacation

horses11

When I write in the log book I will tell which TB I took and when I expect to log it online.

That's exactly what I do. Also, if I drop any bugs I ask them to please wait until I get a chance to officially drop it before anyone else grabs it.

When I'm caching out-of-town I also leave my hometown/state so people will understand better why I can't log it right away.

Am I the only one who thinks it's egotistical to expect the finder of the TB to wait for the vacationer who dropped the TB to find a computer? The fact that someone else finds the TB and logs it is sufficent proof that you've played fairly with the TB, a seperate "placed" log doesn't add anything.

If making the "placed" log is important to the placer, carry a wireless device and log it right away. But finders are free to grab the TB right away when they find it. There are more than a few cachers who have trouble logging TBs at all, why make it more difficult by asking for a delay in the process?

I've got a three week vacation coming up and I've got over a dozen TBs that I'm moving. I might find a library computer along the way or I might not. I certainly hope that no one waits (or worse, delays the next move) for me to log the TB. They might be waiting awhile.

Am I the only one who thinks it's egotistical to expect the finder of the TB to wait for the vacationer who dropped the TB to find a computer?

Uh, yeah, I think so. At least your the first person I've ever seen take the position you're taking. The issue I see with not waiting is your only option is to grab the TB from the current holder and not retrieve it from the cache so that TB doesn't get credit and mileage for being in that cache. Unless you grab it and then dip it in the cache before moving it along. I see no problem at all with logging a note on the TB page stating that you've taken possession of the TB and are waiting for the previous holder to log the drop off.

(QOCMike @ Feb 6 2006, 07:33 PM)

Am I the only one who thinks it's egotistical to expect the finder of the TB to wait for the vacationer who dropped the TB to find a computer?

You might be. Try as one may, it just doesn't work out that you can get to a spot quickly enough. I'll be dropping a couple of bugs off at a TB Hotel in Munich in April, and I'll tag them with a temporary note for the finder not to log them until you see that they have been correctly placed in the drop spot, by a set date. Granted, this entails someone possibly waiting from Friday morning to Tuesday morning when I get back to the States, if it is even picked up. The finder can take the bug, just delay logging it in so as not to screw up the transit record of the bug.

I have dropped off bugs overseas on longer trips, and found a place (public library) where I could log the bug. Even then, the hours of the library and signing up to get a computer weren't always convenient. Dragging along a wireless laptop and searching down a hotspot... not going to happen.

Requiring immediate action upon bug release can be unrealistic on a vacation. Given a short wait period for the finder won't cause inordinate inconvenience, but trying to immediately log a placement might. What's the hurry?

Edited by Metaphor

Uh, yeah, I think so. At least your the first person I've ever seen take the position you're taking. The issue I see with not waiting is your only option is to grab the TB from the current holder and not retrieve it from the cache so that TB doesn't get credit and mileage for being in that cache. Unless you grab it and then dip it in the cache before moving it along. I see no problem at all with logging a note on the TB page stating that you've taken possession of the TB and are waiting for the previous holder to log the drop off.

Unfortunately, he's not the only one. I had a travel bug grabbed from me two hours after I left it.

I call it 'a lack of consideration for other geocachers'. Half the fun of travel bugs is being able to log it into the cache that *I* put it in. Don't take the fun out of the game with rudeness like that. I log all my travel bug drops. Give me the opportunity to do so. When I'm on vacation, I do not have the opportunity to look for a local library; I'm busy geocaching! Give me a break!

Unfortunately, he's not the only one. I had a travel bug grabbed from me two hours after I left it.

I've had one taken from me less than an hour after I left it. According to this thread, I'm supposed to be gravely offended by this. But I wasn't offended and I'm still not offended. I didn't have any unusual things to write about for that TB drop, but if I had, it would have been easy enough to tell a story in a seperate note or edit my retrieved log with the information. I played fairly and moved that TB towards goal and so did the next finder. What am I missing that creates all this angst that everyone else seems to have on this subject?

...so that TB doesn't get credit and mileage for being in that cache. Unless you grab it and then dip it in the cache before moving it along...

I would expect that dropping the unlisted TB into the cache you took it from and grabbing it again would be standard in this situation, specifically for credit and mileage. I've done it a few times, it's not that difficult.

I just dropped a TB and had to wait about 33 hours to log it. I got an email from the next finder that was borderline impolite asking me to hurry up and log it. I'm quite sure that the extra drop-n-grab to get the map fixed and the TB into his inventory immediately would have been less effort than going through my profile to email me about the delay. It certainly would have been more pleasant all around.