Record For Most DNFs In A Day

tands

OK, so what are the ground rules for the daily DNF record?

Here are some of my ideas:

1. Have to go to the location and get within 25 feet according to the GPS.

2. If a puzzle cache, have to have some solution to the puzzle that's not a blind guess.

3. Have to log the DNF

4. If cache page states special equipment required must bring that equipment along and attempt to use.

5. Must spend 15 minutes per star of difficulty on site looking.

6. If group caching with other cachers can't include finds the other party made first as a DNF just because they found it first since this would be a valid find.

7. Multiple DNFs on the same day only if you go home or try for another find between attempts.

Any other good ones to include?

I think our daily record is 3 DNFs. However I'm pretty sure there's a at least a dozen local caches that we could put a true effort into and still end up with DNFs all in one day.

- T of TandS

When I first started, I had 3 or on the first day I went out...

cache 1 - was a find

cache 2 - DNF was the direct result of thinking that my yellow etrex would be accurate and it kept jumping around

I still went on to cache 3 - the owners had disabled it that morning and I'd printed out the page the day before

cache 4 - find

cache 5 - find

cache 6 - had an offset and I didn't understand the concept or even knew about the possibility of one. I spent two hours in the rain following white arrows that were spray-painted on the grass by the water company thinking they were part of the cache until they led me back to the first arrow. :blink:

The very first cache on the next day, I had mis-punched in coords. It's a wonder I didn't quit caching then, but eventuallly I got the hang of it and avenged ALL of these caches (and adopted one).

I find, though that if I DNF, I'm more likely to have a string of DNFs for the next few caches I attempt...a shot confidence thing. The most I've gotten on 1 cache is 4 in 5 days with no finds until I finally got the smiley on that one.

Good point, it seems once I DNF I had a streak of them too.

I once had a 2 DNF day in late November of 2005. But it would be hard for me to top that because the most caches I've looked for in one day is 3 (that same day, one I found). Actually, only one other time have I looked for 2 in one day, combo of lack of time and small kids who start out excited but then get tired or bored makes it hard to have multiple cache days unless they are real close and we find the first one or two right away. :blink::)

Edited by hairymon

Isn't it cool how the discussion of 'competition' for DNFs breeds good will versus the discussion of 'competition' for finds?

DNFs are the glue that bind cachers together as an inevitable universal experience.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Isn't it cool how the discussion of 'competition' for DNFs breeds good will versus the discussion of 'competition' for finds?

Probably because the site doesn't show DNF counts on the user stat pages. I kinda wish it did.

My personal DNF record is a paltry 2 for a single day. But those two were part of a real bad week in which I went out in search of caches on 5 separate days, finding 6 caches, and DNFing the heck out of 5 others. By the end of that week, I was getting ready to turn in my geocaching card.

The following week was much better.

I am pretty good about logging my DNF's (see bookmark list linked below) and for me it's a DNF any time I park the car and the GPS is set on "GO TO" the cache waypoint, but I don't sign the logbook.

Most recently, I DNF'd five caches on 12/23/05 in Erie Pennsylvania, mainly due to the snow.

On the weekend of July 3-4, 2005, I DNF'd 11 caches in Erie Pennsylvania, mainly due to the lack of snow.

On 11/27/04 I DNF'd 5 caches in Rochester New York, mainly due to the fact that I suck at finding caches.

I sure don't know about 15 minutes on site per star of difficulty. I've spent an hour dnfing a 1 and 10 minutes dnfing a 3. Sometimes it's just time to move on.

I know I was terrifically excited about the 100 DNF milestone, but once I got there, felt a bit let down. Somehow going for that second hundred just isn't as interesting. :) Looks like 5 in one day is our record. That was in the fall after the hurricanes of '04. Lots of missing caches around, er, not around.

OK, so what are the ground rules for the daily DNF record?

Here are some of my ideas:

1. Have to go to the location and get within 25 feet according to the GPS.

2. If a puzzle cache, have to have some solution to the puzzle that's not a blind guess.

3. Have to log the DNF

4. If cache page states special equipment required must bring that equipment along and attempt to use.

5. Must spend 15 minutes per star of difficulty on site looking.

6. If group caching with other cachers can't include finds the other party made first as a DNF just because they found it first since this would be a valid find.

7. Multiple DNFs on the same day only if you go home or try for another find between attempts.

Any other good ones to include?

I think our daily record is 3 DNFs. However I'm pretty sure there's a at least a dozen local caches that we could put a true effort into and still end up with DNFs all in one day.

- T of TandS

I logged a DNF today that did not meet any of those guidlines but I knew the cache was gone. All that was left was the velcro.

On 7/9/2005 I had 4 finds and 6 DNF's, I call this "The Day of Infamy" :lol:

It was raining and I got a little disinterested after my first couple of DNFs so I gave up on a couple of the later caches without looking real hard. But at least I logged them.

On 11/27/04 I DNF'd 5 caches in Rochester New York, mainly due to the fact that I suck at finding caches.

Yet somehow you managed to find nearly 1600 of them, how remarkable. I can only assume that frequently you must take a friend along who is good at finding caches. :ph34r:

[Edit: ACK! The new successive-post mangulator merged my seperate posts together, oh well.]

Edited by Tharagleb

Oh! If we're gonna measure by percentages, then I amend my prior answer to state that, on the July 4th weekend I DNF'd 11 caches, I also found 54. Not quite as impressive as the same weekend a year earlier (280 finds vs. 2 DNF's), but in 2005 I was hunting solo.

16.9%, still not bad at all. Heck, 54 finds in one day, solo, with on;y 11 DNFs? And you say you have problems finding caches? :laughing:

Three DNFs yesterday.. I don't keep that data handy, but I do log DNFs if I give it a good try. Yesterday I also logged a "note" on one instead of a DNF because I did find the cache, but couldn't log it because I couldn't quite get to it. Maybe tomorrow with better pre-trip preparation. On the other hand I did enjoy 6 others and know I can get 2 of the DNF's quickly next time.

I agree that it's not about the numbers. I get just a frustrated at one DNF as I do about three or four! And, it's easier to write up worthy documentation for one DNF than it is to do justice to several from one day. It's really all about the DNF log. That's where Geocaching truly can become an art form, be it poetry, prose, documentary or the most baldface lying one can come up with (my specialty).

- T of TandS

In March of 2005 we had 7 out of 12 that were DNFs. It was kinda depressing and at the time we were at a loss of the why of things until later... It seems someone got upset with a certain cacher and stole all his caches... We had the misfortune of trying to find 7 caches that day that were gone. :laughing:

The norm is one or two DNFs on a bad day and more times than not the cache is there and the problem is us. :)

I know someone that has over 912 DNFS so far he always takes a picture of the DNF geocoins we had made up. Since when we came up with the coin we thought of him while designing it.

Okay, I guess I'll weigh in here.

I had 17 DNFs on 4/29/07 (Ft. Worth, TX).

I had 16 DNFs on 1/28/06 (Fresno, CA) and 12/25/05 (Ojai, CA).

But, apparently I didn't accomplish the 20-20 that I referred to in this log.