Am I Missing Something?

budule

looking to buy my first gps (will be used mostly on atv) checking prices at tiger gps....

lowrance expedition color plus (comes with topo maps) 323.00 ....but a garmin with same

features is well over 500.00 ??? are the garmin that much better? i dont want something that will give me

trouble or cant find a lock or whatever...just seams like a big price differnce

an endless quest my friend...

Don't know anything about Lawrence, they are not very popular.

Looks like Garmin 60Cx/Csx have excellent reception with the new antena even under cover but yes they go for $499 w/o software. About equal, some say better, some say not as good, come the Explorits serie from Magellan. The reception is the same in that serie ranging from $80 (Explorist 100) to about $350 (Explorist 600 and XL). Some will prefer the Garmin etrex, Legend series but it seems the Explorists have better reception for now. Magellan topo 3D costs about $60 and runs on Explorist 210, 400, 500, 600 and XL. The 210 costs around $150 but is b&w, so is the 400. I have not done too much research lately on the Garmins but Magellan has a $50 rebate on Explorists 400, 500 and 600 until 02/18. I just bought the 600 + topo 3D for $337 (after rebate) + shipping at compuplus to replace my Meridian Gold.

One difference is the battery life. Somehow Garmin has managed to squeeze 30 or so hours out of theirs and Lowrence is in the 12 hour range per their own specs. Perhaps the Lowrence screen is bigger and therefore uses more power. This may not matter to you if you can tap into 12 volt power from your ATV