Magellan Roadmate 700 North America

njload

I have one and like it. Not suitable for geocaching tho. It has the same quirks that any other autorouting unit has (at least the ones I've seen in action). The only slightly negative thing to me is that it sometimes takes a while to get a lock. Not too bad, but longer than my hand helds. It could of course just be my individual unit. Nothing that would cause me to get rid of it at any rate. There are more up to date units (they can play MP3's, show photos and are portable) but if you can get it at a good price and only want it for the car, give it a try.

Well, I can pick one up at a local wholesale club for 499.00 with a 50.00 dollar rebate. They don't have one on display, so making a decision by looking at the box is difficult. It comes will all the maps loaded on the units hard drive as it's called. Are the maps street level? I have a SporTrak pro and gpsmap 60c for geocaching, so this is going to be for my dad and his car.

Any other ideas or input?

Don't know if Waypoints would be an issue, as this unit would be for my dad. Is the 499.00 minus 50.00 rebate a good price though? Magellan site lists for 749.00.

Street price will always be less than the list price that Magellan states. ALthough my first impression is that $499 is better than average, I'd poke around on Froogle or someplace to see what else you can turn up. One vendor on Amazon is selling for $470, a few others are selling units less than $400 that are described as new (although you probably couldn't get a rebate purchasing from them).

Not being able to load waypoints is BIG negative. You're going to find, with time, that you're going to want to input waypoints that you get from various sources. For instance, suppose you're wanting to go geocaching at some place a good distance from where you live. You could load one of the cache waypoints in your auto GPS and use it to route you to the parking lot. Of course, you're then going to need to pull out your "geocaching" GPS and use it for hunting.

If you're looking for a GPS to go in your car, I'd recommend getting a refurbished Garmin 2610 from GetFeetWet.com. They are currently $449.00 with a TWO YEAR WARRANTY. It will do everything you could ever need from an "auto GPS". It comes with MapSource and City Navigator ver 7.0. If you're looking for a unit to do "double-duty", keep in mind that it will, at best, be a compromise situation. If it works good for geocaching, the display will probably be too small to see easily in the car. Likewise, if it's large enough for car use, it's probably too big and bulky to carry around in the woods and probably won't run on batteries. Another thing....if you're needing a GPS to work easily in your car, get one with a touch-screen. It makes using it in the car significantly easier.