Japan Garmin Maps

NomadVW

Phewee.. Using a program called Mapview25000, I was able to then use cGPSmapper to convert files into a compatible Garmin format.

My GPSMAP60CS has all of Japan, minus Hokkaido loaded into it. My Vista has everything from Tokyo south. The maps are street level capable, include railways and waterways, but no terrain. But for those of us who frequent/live here, you just guess that if it's in between streets, it's occupied by a building or a mountain.

Anywho... here's some pictures of the resolution:

japantotal.gif

eastyamaguchi.gif

hiroshima.gif

osaka.gif

The img files can be found here:

http://www.nomadvw.org/japanmaps.zip

Use any program like sendmap to send them to the GPSr.

I'll soon be uploading the entire file and its components in the raw format with some instructions to a web page for other folks who come this way to work anything GPS related. I'll additionally add a few index pages to the indexed names of the files.

Edited by NomadVW

NomadVW,

Very impressive! I had heard of this method from another geocacher in Japan (matz) and was intending to try it myself. Is it true that some Japanese place names have to be entered manually or that is all automatic now? In any case I will definitely check it out on my 60C and let you know how it goes!

ATC

NomadVW,

Very impressive! I had heard of this method from another geocacher in Japan (matz) and was intending to try it myself. Is it true that some Japanese place names have to be entered manually or that is all automatic now? In any case I will definitely check it out on my 60C and let you know how it goes!

ATC

The img files I have are no place names at all. The only thing listed at all are highway numbers of major national highways. This is more than sufficient for me in my travels in the area. The software to use to download the map information is, of course, in Japanese. There are a lot of options I haven't really fiddled with yet for the POI databasing. I will do more fiddling as I get the time over the next week or so.

VW

Thank you so very much! I live in Okinawa and the complete lack of maps (in English) makes geocaching extremely difficult. As anyone who lives in Japan knows, just because you are turning left doesn't mean the road will go that way. I had to use cGPSMapper to create a preview map and registry file to open in MapSource, but not too much of a hassle considering the benefits far outweigh the work. Cheers!

Wow, those look awesome! Your link didn't work for me though...

The img files can be found here:

http://www.nomadvw.org/japanmaps.zip

Use any program like sendmap to send them to the GPSr.

I'll soon be uploading the entire file and its components in the raw format with some instructions to a web page for other folks who come this way to work anything GPS related. I'll additionally add a few index pages to the indexed names of the files.

Apparently my distribution of these maps violates Article 29 of Japan Survey Law. I have removed all the links and photos to make this topic comply with their law. Apologies to those who are without the info. Contact me if you'd like to know how to acquire the maps using their authorized software.

NomadVW

There are three of us canadian caches who are planning a caching trip to japan to hike mount fuji. I would be interested in getting a copy of the maps for my 60cx .

I downloaded on other set of maps from another site I found but this one sounds better.

you can contact me trought my account e-mail.

Logged in today for the first time in months to see two PMs waiting for me from months ago with requests for info on these maps.

If you'd like the info on the maps, please contact me using email through GC.com and I'll get back to you within a day or so. I'll add that there is a great place to get the maps I have through a vendor. They've done a HUGE task of making them to include POIs and English placenames. If you're not computer savvy or confident of your ability to use the maps through programs other than mapsource, that's the best route to take.

More info on them found at:

http://uud.info/en/