How Do I Know If Its Been Taken?

You are darn lucky that I am not making use of the new "Ignore" feature in the upgraded forum software. :D

When you go to the review screen for a new waymark submission, if there is another waymark already listed in your category and within a mile or so of the coordinates for the new waymark, a very visible warning pops up, complete with a reference to the other nearby waymark. This allows you to do further investigation.

This happens to me a lot in my Pennsylvania Historic Markers category. It is fairly common for there to be multiple markers at the same location, commemorating different events.

When you go to the review screen for a new waymark submission, if there is another waymark already listed in your category and within a mile or so of the coordinates for the new waymark, a very visible warning pops up, complete with a reference to the other nearby waymark. This allows you to do further investigation.

I haven't run into this yet, but I wonder if the same is true when posting waymark submissions, or just when reviewing? I know I can just use the location filter on the right, but for now it only works with zipcode, which is not always known (yes, I know I can look them up using the link to the USPS website, but that takes extra time. And, I'm being picky, but shouldn't it link to http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown.jsp instead of http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.jsp ?)

Edited by DavidMac

I wish that the distance to another waymark warning, in the case of less-than-a-mile, would go to feet and even inches or tenths of feet in the case of Recovered US Benchmarks. Sometimes benchmarks are really close to each other, especially if people log reference marks.

I'm not sure how much you would want to reduce it. I wouldn't want to reduce it lower than 50-100 feet to account for coordinate slop.

You are darn lucky that I am not making use of the new "Ignore" feature in the upgraded forum software. :D

This happens to me a lot in my Pennsylvania Historic Markers category. It is fairly common for there to be multiple markers at the same location, commemorating different events.

Oh, goody. I'd been wondering this. I knew that someone submitting a waymark saw a warning, but I didn't know if the owner did. I knew that it made sense, but I wasn't for sure. Thanks. :D

Edited by Ambrosia