Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
bnolan

Element 1 Exam

I will be takin the Element 1 exam ( 5 wpm morse code) in 2 weeks. I have been practicing using this website and can usually copy well enough to answer 8 or nine of the questions.

Does anybody have any tips for taking the exam? Should I be doing something else to prepare?

Also, about the Prosigns. Should I copy BT as BT or as = ? Perhaps it doesn't matter, but somewhere I read that you pass if you get 25 characacters correct in a row, so I wanted to make sure I am writing the Prosigns correctly.

Thanks,

BNolan

KE7DGM

I used this site with good results. http://www.omnicron.com/~ford/java/NMorse.html

We wrote prosigns as BT with a line over the top of them. Prosigns and puncation marks count a two characters in the 25 word count. Yes there is two ways to pass. Answer 7 out of 10 questions correctly or have 25 letters in a row copied correctly. I passed with 9 out of 10 and 34 letters.

All I can say is study study study. I paticed for 1 hour min every night. It is a commitment but, it is nessisary to pass.

Big thing is to pratice samle QSO's Learn the abreviations and also tipicle parts of a QSO. callsign de callsign FB...Name is... RST...Rig is... WX is... BTU Callsign DE Callsign ETC ETC.

Biggest thing is to have fun doing it. It is amazing what information you can get from dity dumb dumb dities LMAO!!

Dan

KC9HHG

Listen to the code at at least 7wpm. DO NOT COUNT DOTS and DITS.

Rather try your best to recognize the pattern as a letter.

Write characters in cursive without (undo) thinking

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN

Note that when tested on the site, BT is used much less often during test QSOs than in the practice test I took at the site. Also, there were no periods or question marks used at the site. Typically the call signs aren't repeated consecutively in the test.

I'd consentrate on learning letters, numbers and punctuation randomly first. Just choose all the above option. Letters, numbers, punctuation are given randomly. Go back and choose puntuation or number only to practice what you are having trouble with. Practice QSOs as you get closer.

Remember 25 characters in a row (5 words) will pass the test. Numbers, puntuation and prosigns count as two! e.g copying "rig is yaesu ft 857 running" correctly, will pass you.

Good Luck!!

EMike, KC8YLD

I will be takin the Element 1 exam ( 5 wpm morse code) in 2 weeks. I have been practicing using this website and can usually copy well enough to answer 8 or nine of the questions.

Does anybody have any tips for taking the exam? Should I be doing something else to prepare?

Also, about the Prosigns. Should I copy BT as BT or as = ? Perhaps it doesn't matter, but somewhere I read that you pass if you get 25 characacters correct in a row, so I wanted to make sure I am writing the Prosigns correctly.

Thanks,

BNolan

KE7DGM

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN

Note that when tested on the site, BT is used much less often during test QSOs than in the practice test I took at the site. Also, there were no periods or question marks used at the site. Typically the call signs aren't repeated consecutively in the test.

I'd consentrate on learning letters, numbers and punctuation randomly first. Just choose all the above option. Letters, numbers, punctuation are given randomly. Go back and choose puntuation or number only to practice what you are having trouble with. Practice QSOs as you get closer.

Remember 25 characters in a row (5 words) will pass the test. Numbers, puntuation and prosigns count as two! e.g copying "rig is yaesu ft 857 running" correctly, will pass you.

Good Luck!!

EMike, KC8YLD

Thanks,

BNolan

KE7DGM

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN

Good Luck!!

EMike, KC8YLD

Thanks,

BNolan

KE7DGM

Hey, looks like you've been using the same website to study as i did. I used this website to copy the groups of letters in the order that they have it starting with the letters that sound closest to one another. I started to study about a week and a half before the test date that i knew was comming up. For the first few days i would copy the groups of 4 or 5 letters over and over until i could remember the alphabet in my head. Then i copied the practice qsos over and over until i was halfway alright at it. I made the mistake at listening at 5 wpm true timing ( missed the part about the test being 5 wpm with a character speed of 15 wpm with spaces in between to bring it down to 5wpm). In a way i felt like it hurt me but in another way it seemed to help me remember and distinguish between letters better having heard them at a slower more drawn out speed. I passed getting 7 questions right and also had about 32 characters in a row right. I seemed to have got lost at the begining of the qso and at the end but copied pretty well in the middle. I remember alot of = 'S in the practice qso s on the website but dont rember hearing any during the real test, did hear a comma and a period though. anyway good luck hope everything goes well for you... drew82 KI4KRG

Thanks for the tips.

I passed the 5 wpm today. Answered 8 of the then questions correctly, and they stopped counting at 38 correct characters.