What I Miss About The Forums

New England n00b

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread. If you post a reply in a thread, and then manage to post another reply without anyone else's post in between, your new reply is just appended to the first one and it looks like a single post.

Is it possible to have it back the old way -- where each reply is a separate post?

This is a weird new "feature" that was enabled by default. It took me some time to track down the setting, but it is now disabled.

:) Elias

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread. If you post a reply in a thread, and then manage to post another reply without anyone else's post in between, your new reply is just appended to the first one and it looks like a single post.

Is it possible to have it back the old way -- where each reply is a separate post?

This is a weird new "feature" that was enabled by default. It took me some time to track down the setting, but it is now disabled.

:) Elias

Thank you! ;):):(

Put me down as another not liking the new auto-concatenated reply system.

Me too. It should be optional.

It seems a shame to disable a feature just because some people get their panties in a knot over changing how they've done things. I like that the append feature will kill those mega posters that need to post every 30 seconds to build up their post counts in silly games in off-topic.

Put me down as a strong supporter of the Append feature. Viva la difference...or something like that. Be like Gumby, be flexible, manage change.

Which might be true, but posts in OT do not add to your post count, so that can't be it.

As a member of many different forums, I have never seen this behaviour before. It's not normal, and while you could make a case for its advantages, I'm not sure what the point of the ten minute delay is.

Personally I'd either like to see it go, or set Flood Control at zero seconds and set this to 30 seconds.

:( Elias

Wow... fixed it while I was typing! Thanks!

(Let's see if this makes a new post... :) )

I know it has been said but I miss the email button :)

But I also like lots of things like the ON and OFF indicator, we may of had this before but I did not notice but I like the REPLY button too.

Thanks for the new and improved forums. ;):(;)

EDIT: Now if we could only have a spelling button! :)

Edited by ParentsofSAM

The biggest thing it took me a long time to get used to was the fact that the p_quote.gif button is at the BOTTOM of the post. I keep looking in the upper right hand corner, and quoting the wrong post. But it's not something that's going to send me away crying.

Edited by Markwell

I miss the prominent dot in the envelope indicating I've posted to that thread. The new icon is far too subtle for a quick scan.

Ditto.

Same here, the little "L" shape in the corner of the folder isn't very easy to see. Besides, I liked the letters we used to have.

But I can live with that, I like the new forums!

Another Prime Suspect Greasemonkey Script to the rescue. This replaces an old script, and adds a number of new features.

First off, it changes the Posted Topic icon. Instead of the little white strip in the corner, it has a yellow square in the middle, like this:

gcforums02.png

The little new post icon newpost.gif is now also a bit bigger.

It also adds a new Favorites List to the pages, to let you change forums without having to go back to the main page, or use the big list at the bottom of the page. The Favorites List just has the forums you're interested in.

gcforums03.png

To add forums to the Favorites List, just click the Fav link next to the forum name on the main page. Different accounts on the same computer can have their own list.

gcforums04.png

This list will be sequenced in the order that you add forums to it. To clear the list, use the Clear favorites link at the bottom right of the main page.

gcforums05.png

And this script also includes the functions of an earlier script, which adds links next to a user's name. The links give you quick access to their Caches Hidden and Caches Found lists. If you're already using that script, you should disable or uninstall it before installing this one.

gcforums01.png

Enjoy!

Edited by Prime Suspect

Also...

When I do "View New Posts" I don't get the custom icons.. in fact, I don't get the icons showing which topics I've posted in at all. They're all the plain briefcase (or whatever that is). The orange box icons are the small variety on the "View New Posts" page, too.

I like the Favorites dropdown. :)

Jamie

Another Prime Suspect Greasemonkey Script to the rescue.

Downloaded it. Nice.

One odd behavior.. maybe it's a Firefox thing. When I click on a topic, it opens a new tab, which I really don't want. How can I get it to stay in the same tab? It didn't do this before.

I do have Tab Mix Plus installed, but I've had that for months.

Jamie

That's the default behavior. I'll make it optional in the next version. You can change it in the script, if you want. Just scan for the 5 lines that contain target = '_blank'; and comment them out by putting // at the beginning of the line.

Also...

When I do "View New Posts" I don't get the custom icons.. in fact, I don't get the icons showing which topics I've posted in at all. They're all the plain briefcase (or whatever that is). The orange box icons are the small variety on the "View New Posts" page, too.

I like the Favorites dropdown. :mad:

Jamie

I'll add the icon replacement to that page too. Look for v1.1 soon :mad:

OK I can not figure out how to install this. When I right-click there is no option for "Install User Script" So then I click on it and got to tools and still no option for "Install This User Script" I have FireFox but I don't know what version or even how to find out.....I want to use this too!!

Do you have the Greasemonkey extension installed? You have to have that in order to run the scripts.

OK I can not figure out how to install this. When I right-click there is no option for "Install User Script" So then I click on it and got to tools and still no option for "Install This User Script" I have FireFox but I don't know what version or even how to find out.....I want to use this too!!

Do you have the Greasemonkey extension installed? You have to have that in order to run the scripts.

THANKS! I now got it! This is very cool.

This is a cool script.

I've been meaning to install GM and see if I could cobble together a "linkify" script to make GCXXXX sequences a link to the cache page. I've looked at the programming language and I know next to nothing about javascript beyond alert(). I'd have to learn, but I've already got my hands full with other things.

I'm kind of surprised this hadn't been added to the forums as a custom BBcode like [cachepage]GCGRDF[/cachepage]. (...or [profile name=Sissy-n-CR]us[/profile], [tb]TBxxxx[/tb], [cachelog], and more.)

Anyway, a couple of other ideas where "go straight to All Logs page" link, "Go straight to Print Friendly page" link, and "Log This Cache" link from the nearest list. I always thought these would be trivial to implement on-site and would save a good deal of bandwidth, but I guess not important enough. Now, with FF and GM it could be done.

This is a cool script.

I've been meaning to install GM and see if I could cobble together a "linkify" script to make GCXXXX sequences a link to the cache page. I've looked at the programming language and I know next to nothing about javascript beyond alert(). I'd have to learn, but I've already got my hands full with other things.

I've written the code to do that in Perl, but haven't translated it into javascript. The two are very similar, so I'll post the Perl code for anyone who wants it. Creating the RegEx was the hard part. The rest is pretty trivial. $xText is the text string to be changed.

#  Convert any waypoints into links.
$Url1 = '<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx';
$NewText = $xText;
while ($xText =~ m/(\s*?)(GC[0-9|A-H|JKMNPQRT|V-Z]{2,4})(\W+|$)/gi) {
$CacheURL = qq|$1$Url1?wp=\U$2"| . qq| target="_blank" title="View Cache Page"><b>\U$2</b></a>$3|;
$NewText =~ s/$1$2$3/$CacheURL/;
}
$xText = $NewText;

Also...

I like the Favorites dropdown. :D

Jamie

v1.1 of the script is now available. Icon replacement should now be happening on the View New Posts page. Opening new topics in tabs is now optional. It is turned off by default. For those that like topics in new tabs (like me), you can turn it on/off from the bottom of the main page:

gcforums05.png

No need to uninstall the old script. Just install the new version, and it should replace the old one.

I have been unable to intall this (GM). There is no "Install" in either place on my firefox Ver 1.5. What am I missing?

sorry, I'am not missing anything except that it installed so fast and automatically that I did not see it......

To install, right-click on the icon, and select "Install User Script". If you do not see the menu option, click on the icon to open the file in a new tab (or window), and select "Install This User Script" from the Tools menu.

Edited by Ramblin Ramsey's

Elias/Jeremy: Can we remove the quote graphic at the top of each quote? It's making for some HUGE nested quotes. I think there might be a few planted "carriage returns" in there too. What used to be fairly compact quote nesting now spans quite a bit of vertical space... :blink:

I agree - it would be easier on the eye

I have been unable to intall this (GM). There is no "Install" in either place on my firefox Ver 1.5. What am I missing?

sorry, I'am not missing anything except that it installed so fast and automatically that I did not see it......

To install, right-click on the icon, and select "Install User Script". If you do not see the menu option, click on the icon to open the file in a new tab (or window), and select "Install This User Script" from the Tools menu.

Do you have the Greasemonkey extension installed? If not, you need to do that first (and reboot the browser). Edited by Prime Suspect
Elias/Jeremy: Can we remove the quote graphic at the top of each quote? It's making for some HUGE nested quotes. I think there might be a few planted "carriage returns" in there too. What used to be fairly compact quote nesting now spans quite a bit of vertical space... :blink:

If you're talking about the

css_img_quote.gif

image, it's not taking up any room. It's just a background image of the heading DIV element. As a background image, it's just "there". It doesn't actually take up space. If it were removed or resized, it wouldn't affect the layout.

when is the link going to be fixed from gc.com to the forums??
Um... it is. Even yesterday it was.
No it's not.

If you are logged into gc.com, the link is broken.

If you logout of gc.com, the link works.

Still today.

Ummm, me logged in at GC.com, click FORUM link on LH side, goto "Entering Forums Page", click "Enter the Groundspeak Forums" and viola I am in.

No idea why it doesn't work for ya. Have you tried deleting your cache?

Elias/Jeremy: Can we remove the quote graphic at the top of each quote? It's making for some HUGE nested quotes. I think there might be a few planted "carriage returns" in there too. What used to be fairly compact quote nesting now spans quite a bit of vertical space... :)

If you're talking about the

css_img_quote.gif

image, it's not taking up any room. It's just a background image of the heading DIV element. As a background image, it's just "there". It doesn't actually take up space. If it were removed or resized, it wouldn't affect the layout.

Huh... weird. I thought the quote was padded to fit it. I'd still prefer to see quotes compressed somehow...

when is the link going to be fixed from gc.com to the forums??
Um... it is. Even yesterday it was.
No it's not.

If you are logged into gc.com, the link is broken.

If you logout of gc.com, the link works.

Still today.

Ummm, me logged in at GC.com, click FORUM link on LH side, goto "Entering Forums Page", click "Enter the Groundspeak Forums" and viola I am in.

No idea why it doesn't work for ya. Have you tried deleting your cache?

Yup, and the problem remains. Edited by blackjack65

Another request for the "new posts" icon to come back. There's no way to tell on the main Forums page which sub-forums have new posts and which don't.

Thanks!

Is there a way to tell in the sub forums when there is a new post? I know that the darker blue indicates a new post but when I come back after an hour or two the ones that have not had new posts in it are still dark blue.

Edited by benjamin921

Is there a way to tell in the sub forums when there is a new post? I know that the darker blue indicates a new post but when I come back after an hour or two the ones that have not had new posts in it are still dark blue.

Apparently, the new forum code now tracks each topic individually. So the dark blue (or dark red) folders indicate new posts since the last time you opened that particular topic.

Apparently, the new forum code now tracks each topic individually. So the dark blue (or dark red) folders indicate new posts since the last time you opened that particular topic.

Even when I come back and there has not been any new posts, the dark blue/red is still there. When I come back threads with no new posts should be shaded out.

Just noticed that on the PM screen the checkbox for "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder " isn't pre-checked anymore...

I can't find "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" anywhere period. I really would like a copy of pm's I send to people to be retained.

Is there any way we can get this back?

Just noticed that on the PM screen the checkbox for "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder " isn't pre-checked anymore...

I can't find "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" anywhere period. I really would like a copy of pm's I send to people to be retained.

Is there any way we can get this back?

The option is available directly underneath the box where you compose a new message. It's not a board setting, you have to check it for each message you send.