What I Miss About The Forums

New England n00b

Cool! Now why isn't the location showing on my own posts?

Jamie

Found the same thing for mine, and replied with the instructions in another thread. Go back to the geocaching.com main page and click the forums button on the left. It will say the changes have been made. As long as you have a location in your profile it will update.

:blink:

edit: you don't need to log out or back in or whatever, just open a new window or tab and git'r done.

Edited by robert

Cool! Now why isn't the location showing on my own posts?

Jamie

Found the same thing for mine, and replied with the instructions in another thread. Go back to the geocaching.com main page and click the forums button on the left. It will say the changes have been made. As long as you have a location in your profile it will update.

:)

edit: you don't need to log out or back in or whatever, just open a new window or tab and git'r done.

Gross. It says I'm 'from' TN. :blink:

Is there a way to find a all of person's post without using the search function?

Click the persons name, then in Profile Options (top right) there's a drop down which includes posts by that person.

When I click on a person's name, it brings me to her Geocaching.com profile and not the forum profile????

When I click on a person's name, it brings me to her Geocaching.com profile and not the forum profile????

That was changed yesterday. Many believe that it is better to do it that way because it makes it simple to see someone's stats.

Edited by sbell111
  • I have to actually enter a part of the forum to check if there are new posts
  • The color; It's just too blue!!! (Well, too much of one color really.)

Yup, I agree with those two.

I agree with the first one. I miss the top level feature PDOP mentions and the one that didn't leave unread topics permanently flagged as new until I get around to manually marking all unread topics as read.

Edited by ikim & noj

Elias will be putting it back soon.

The forums usually show this via the icon for each forum section; the icon would be faded when there are no new posts. When we made the modification to use custom icons for each forum, we assigned the same icon for both states and instead, added the little "new" image to the right of the text. It was just an oversight that we forgot to add the "new" image back in this new version. We'll put that back in there soon.

:blink: Elias

Edited by PDOP's
Go back to the geocaching.com main page and click the forums button on the left. It will say the changes have been made. As long as you have a location in your profile it will update.

That did it, thanks.

I like that feature a lot. Thanks Jeremy.

Jamie

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread. If you post a reply in a thread, and then manage to post another reply without anyone else's post in between, your new reply is just appended to the first one and it looks like a single post.

I've heard a number of people say they don't like it (nor do I), and I've yet to encounter a single person who says they do like it.

Is it possible to have it back the old way -- where each reply is a separate post?

By the way, this also leads to the strange situation where you can appear to have edited your post before you posted it. When the second post gets combined with the first one, the time displayed at the top of the post is updated with the time the second one is made. So this post should show that it was posted at 10:33 or so, but that it was edited at 10:31. :)

Edited by WascoZooKeeper

Add another vote against the auto-append function.

If you're reading a thread, and wish to respond to more than one post, your replies to any number of posts get glued together into one huge block, unless someone else interrupts your responses.

Is there ANY way to defeat/disable this feature, other than waiting "x" amount of time between postings?

What is "x" time, anyway?

Can it be adjusted and/or removed?

If there's a way to make it a voluntary thing, I can see how it could be a useful feature for occasional use, but to be forced to append your own post, rather than being able to separate your own responses into individual messages is irritating at best, with a great deal of potential for confusion.

I've already had several instances where I simply wasn't able to reply to a post because I had no way of doing it without having my response appended to the end of a previous posting, where it neither belonged, nor would it have made any sense.

I see this "feature" as fundamentally changing the way that posting/replying is done in the forums, not necessarily in a good way.

Well, this is refreshing - in a weird way.

Another forum I frequent recently upgraded to this same version of software. Except, not nearly as many of the "bells and whistles" were installed.

They also did it with no warning, and in the middle of a Thurs afternoon.

The botched the migration, and nearly 40% of the oldest users registered were unable to log back in under their old username. Many had to start over, loosing all history related to their old username. IT was done Very Poorly.

This upgrade however had been a refreshing look at how it should go.

I’m not all that impressed with all the bells and whistles, but it is nice to have the options, if you feel like using them. I really like the interface above this text area- with the buttons, etc- Very cool!

In all, I think it’s great! But as I said, I suffered thru a 3 month transition with these boards already, so I’m kind of softened up :ph34r:

Edited by Pto

If you're reading a thread, and wish to respond to more than one post, your replies to any number of posts get glued together into one huge block, unless someone else interrupts your responses.

One of the new features of the forum software is that you can easily quote multiple people in one post (of course, you could do this manually in the old forums, but it was more time-consuming.). So now you can respond to more than one post, and your replies won't get mixed up.

I agree with Seamus. This morning, I replied to two posts in the same thread. The replies were unrelated in content and tone. When they were merged, I fear that one reply may have picked up the tone of the other.

I'm not necessarily in favor of post-merging, but with the quoting feature, you can respond to any number of posts in a thread that you like. Hopefully, even if they are on unrelated topics (in the same thread?) you can keep the tone as separate as if it were two posts.

Jamie

One of the new features of the forum software is that you can easily quote multiple people in one post (of course, you could do this manually in the old forums, but it was more time-consuming.). So now you can respond to more than one post, and your replies won't get mixed up.

I agree with Seamus. This morning, I replied to two posts in the same thread. The replies were unrelated in content and tone. When they were merged, I fear that one reply may have picked up the tone of the other.

I'm not necessarily in favor of post-merging, but with the quoting feature, you can respond to any number of posts in a thread that you like. Hopefully, even if they are on unrelated topics (in the same thread?) you can keep the tone as separate as if it were two posts.

Jamie

Except that you may not be quoting anybody at all. Then what?

Merging posts is a bad idea. Period. If I wanted it all in one post, I'd put it all in one post, even if I had to edit a previous post to do it.

Jamie

Jamie, your example works well because you purposefully selected the two posts that you wished to quote, and they made perfect sense all strung together with your comments. I like that new feature, though I haven't had a need to use it yet. The point being, it's optional, and it's controllable. Automatic multi-post concantenation is not optional and can lead to undesireable results.

The following is typical forum thread behavior for me: I will read a post on page one of the thread and reply to it. I continue reading and stumble upon something totally different that I'd also like to respond to. Prior to last weekend, these would have been two posts. Now, they're mooshed together, like this:

Incredibly deep insight by JamieZ on a burning issue about geocaching.

Reply from Leprechaun, expanding upon and agreeing with Jamie's brilliance.

Funny remark from Criminal, involving a frisbee and panties in the woods.

Off-color retort from Leprechaun.

Now, with the posts mooshed together, anyone wishing to carry on the serious part of the discussion has to surgicially reply to just the first part of my post and remove the second part. Either that or we need to read the same joke about panties, over and over again. I would rather that the two unrelated posts be kept separate.

I really like the new "ignore user" feature.

I wonder what sbell111 thinks of the recent changes. Actually, no I don't.

and where does one find this feature?

1. Click on "My Controls" at the top right of the forums page.

2. Towards the bottom of the left-hand column, look for the "Options" menu.

3. Select "Manage Ignored Users" from that menu.

4. In one of the blank boxes, type "sbell111."

but I don't even know this person.... :laughing:

but thank you for the tutorial...:o

okay...the auto post concantenation thigy...when your posts get glued together...you don't get "credit" for the second post"!

the humanity! :P

I miss the prominent dot in the envelope indicating I've posted to that thread. The new icon is far too subtle for a quick scan.

Ditto.

Same here, the little "L" shape in the corner of the folder isn't very easy to see. Besides, I liked the letters we used to have.

But I can live with that, I like the new forums!

B)

(Heh. I'll just change my name to sbell1111. He'll be ignoring sbell111. Suddenly he'll be plagued with all me, all the time.)

I miss the prominent dot in the envelope indicating I've posted to that thread. The new icon is far too subtle for a quick scan.

Ditto.

Same here, the little "L" shape in the corner of the folder isn't very easy to see. Besides, I liked the letters we used to have.

But I can live with that, I like the new forums!

Those icons were just part of the skin. Hopefully the fine folks at Groundspeak still have the old skin lying around and can modify the current skin to include things like this.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread. If you post a reply in a thread, and then manage to post another reply without anyone else's post in between, your new reply is just appended to the first one and it looks like a single post.

I've heard a number of people say they don't like it (nor do I), and I've yet to encounter a single person who says they do like it.

Is it possible to have it back the old way -- where each reply is a separate post?

By the way, this also leads to the strange situation where you can appear to have edited your post before you posted it. When the second post gets combined with the first one, the time displayed at the top of the post is updated with the time the second one is made. So this post should show that it was posted at 10:33 or so, but that it was edited at 10:31. B)

I agree. The forums are now decidedly more troublesome to use if you want to address two separate topics. Is that a "feature" of IPB 2.1? The inability to be able to make two posts in a row in the same topic?

;):DB)

I've responded to three different posts and am now adding a fourth point. Hopefully nothing gets lost...

;)

(Heh. I'll just change my name to sbell1111. He'll be ignoring sbell111. Suddenly he'll be plagued with all me, all the time.)

I'm a "she". At least last time I checked, I was. B)B)

;)

I'm a "she". At least last time I checked, I was. B)B)

Lep's not. I think.

By the way, this also leads to the strange situation where you can appear to have edited your post before you posted it. When the second post gets combined with the first one, the time displayed at the top of the post is updated with the time the second one is made. So this post should show that it was posted at 10:33 or so, but that it was edited at 10:31. B)

I LIKE the append feature I LIKE it a lot.

Put me down as another not liking the new auto-concatenated reply system.

Me too. It should be optional.

It seems a shame to disable a feature just because some people get their panties in a knot over changing how they've done things. I like that the append feature will kill those mega posters that need to post every 30 seconds to build up their post counts in silly games in off-topic.

Put me down as a strong supporter of the Append feature. Viva la difference...or something like that. Be like Gumby, be flexible, manage change.

What Seamus and sbell said. This new "feature" is a HUGE pain in the sit-me-down. I for one, would much prefer the old, slow, unsearchable forum to this new one. :)

i have to agree with my friends the tractor, the snail, and seamus. the auto-append feature is becoming a real pain in the tuchus. :(

sheesh!

Edited by uperdooper

Personlly, I like the new feature that combines responses. While reading a topic, if there's one I want to respond to, I just click the p_mq_add.gif button to mark it. When I'm done, I just hit t_reply.gif and all the messages I marked are there to the replied to.

Yes, I like that too. That's not the issue that our recent posts have been about, though.

The issue we are whining about :P is that if you add a reply to a thread, and then within 10 minutes add another reply to the same thread, the new forum software combines them into a single post.

If I want to quote several messages in the same post, I'll do exactly as you described. But if I want to quote them each in a separate reply, or if I want to add several non-related replies without quoting anything, I either have to wait some period of time (it appears to be 10 minutes) or wait for someone else to post an intervening reply.

:):):):(;):);)

This is what I'm talking about. Everything from the line of sad faces down was posted as a separate reply. But the forum software is combining it with my previous post, since it's less than 10 minutes later and no one else has posted an intervening reply.