76csx Won't Regain Lock After Tunnels

nobodyhere

The 76CSx seems to have a serious conniption with tunnels. 4 out of the 5 times I've gone through various tunnels in Boston (93, Pike both directions, Tobin), I've come out the other end and the unit shows -zero- satellites even after several minutes of clear sky.

Going back to the satellite page and turning off+on GPS fixes the problem instantly (and in one case, I was on the Tobin bridge, which is covered- it still got a lock very quickly via the open sides), but this is an unacceptable defect, especially given all the talk with SiRFstarIII having sub-1-second hot reacquisition times...and the number of tunnels.

Oh, and CN's data is -horrible- with regards to the stuff that changed with the Big Dig...fairly annoying, since some of the inaccuracies are on stuff that had been finished before CN was 'published'...

Can anyone else verify on the re-acq problem? Keep in mind that the problem could be related to the unit changing position, not just the obscuration...and it may need to be a VERY thorough obscuration, not very easy with the new SiRF units since they're so sensitive.

When my 60Cx is up next to my PC lying down, it will eventually loose LOCK also, and it will not regain lock.

As a test, when it says WEAK Signal, do a quick POWER OFF, then back on when your out of the tunnel, or move the GPS away from your PC, like in my case.

As soon as it says WEAK Signal, you can select "GPS OFF", then "GPS ON", then this may work too.

There needs to be a setting, that turns off tracklogging when your positioning error is above a certain setting, then starts up Tracklogging again, when you regain a Better LOCK, like positioning the GPS more virtical. For instant, if you were able to set the GPS to stop Tracklogging above a positioning error of 80 feet, then it will stop Tracklogging above that EPE(Estimated Positioning Error), then start back up tracklogging below that.

-

Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?

When my 60Cx is up next to my PC lying down, it will eventually loose LOCK also, and it will not regain lock.

As a test, when it says WEAK Signal, do a quick POWER OFF, then back on when your out of the tunnel, or move the GPS away from your PC, like in my case.

As soon as it says WEAK Signal, you can select "GPS OFF", then "GPS ON", then this may work too.

1)This is not leaving the unit next to a PC indoors. This is going from full coverage, to a minute later full coverage again, in conditions the unit would be expected to experience in normal usage.

2)I already said that selecting "GPS OFF" then "GPS ON" immediately re-establishes lock. That does not make it a viable "fix". If I'm navigating- some of the turns come up immediately after exiting the tunnels. The time to: a)switch off+on the unit b)Choose Recent Find and select the destination c)wait for the route to be calculated means that you could get hopelessly off-course.

We'll see what Garmin support says...

Hi,

This problem is on my 60CSx to. I have sent email to Garmin Support and they answered:

"Are software term no about the problem and looking into fixing it the upgrade should be out soon."

So I hope that Garmin soon will publish a new update. B)

Kind regards

stimas