Problem Getting To Forum Via Main Page

Mystery Ink

I am unable to get to the forum via front page by way of the link. I can get there fine when I go via a subscription notice by way of my email.

This is the message I keep getting:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI.ForumUpdateControl.UpdateForumUser() +1060

Geocaching.UI.forums_register.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +268

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1082

Geocaching.UI.forums_register.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +131

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +744

Any ideas, I get this using both Firefox and I.E.

Edited by Mystery Ink

Me too, also using IE:

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

Geocaching.UI.ForumUpdateControl.UpdateForumUser() +1060

Geocaching.UI.forums_register.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +268

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1082

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Well first off to tell you how I got here I happened to remember the forums site address, now for the topic on hand. When I try to access the forums through geocaching.com I get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error with the heading below that follows

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

Geocaching.UI.ForumUpdateControl.UpdateForumUser() +1062

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1081

From the way its acting from the error above I think that particular page has been removed.

I noticed this last night about the time the forums went down for the upgrade. I expect it has something to do with the integration work they're doing. I sent an email advising them to turn off remote errors, as showing exception stack traces in your ASP.NET app to the world's not a generally great idea.

Aside from that issue, though- things look great. New software is very nice.

From the way its acting from the error above I think that particular page has been removed.

No, the page is still there, it's just having a problem executing when invoked. If there was no page by that name, you'd get a different error.

Actually, it's having a problem doing something with the user record when trying to update the forum side of things, which makes sense given that they've made major changes to the forum software. They also have to update the geocaching side to work with the new system properly.

Same.

I think this has already been said someplace else, but to repeat.

When trying to go to the forums by clicking the link on the main gc.com page, the follow error comes back:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Source Error:

If you log out of gc.com and then hit the link it works fine. Forum seems to navigate correctly once your in.

Also occurring for me using Safari.

Finally was able to enter through a link on the Wisconsin Geocaching site.

Bec

I'm having NO LUCK with Safari, it keeps shutting down (never did that before ever, but continues to do it after the update). Firefox and Netscape work fine.

Also occurring for me using Safari.

Finally was able to enter through a link on the Wisconsin Geocaching site.

Bec

I'm having NO LUCK with Safari, it keeps shutting down (never did that before ever, but continues to do it after the update). Firefox and Netscape work fine.

After I posted -- I got shut out too. The new forums look nice, but they are troublesome so far. I know it will improve though.

Bec

Yea! I was able to find a way to get to the forum. I thoght it was closed down way to long. I was finnaly able to get on, by tripping over different link. Not even my bookmark for the forum worked. But now it does. I still don't think the Link on the main geocaching page works yet. :D

I wasn't around during the upgrade and apparently there still needed to be some work done in the forum integration side of things. I spent this evening re-coding the integration and it should work ok now.

<- I also added location while I was at it.

Let me know if there is something out of the ordinary. They did some pretty major changes with how they stored passwords so I did my best to make sure they were saved properly.

I wasn't around during the upgrade and apparently there still needed to be some work done in the forum integration side of things. I spent this evening re-coding the integration and it should work ok now.

<- I also added location while I was at it.

Let me know if there is something out of the ordinary. They did some pretty major changes with how they stored passwords so I did my best to make sure they were saved properly.

Thanks for workin' on it