New Board

Neo_Geo

And yes, search does work here.

Still ain't workin' for me...

I get the following message when I click on "Search":

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I did F5 - I did Refresh - I went into "Tools > Internet Options" and cleared my cache. It STILL ain't working for me!

CLICK HERE

Wotks for me still.

You may have to go to here...C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc on your computer. Find a file called HOSTS and open it using NOTEPAD. Delete any and all entries you have regarding Groundspeak. Now save it as HOSTS.txt in the same 'etc' folder. You will now have to trash the original HOSTS file and then remove the .txt extension off the new HOSTS file. After all this reopen your browser. Should work then.

Edited by mrking

I might be wrong, but it looks like the search works for members. small sample set, so not sure if it is true though.

Oh, you have a valid point there. Could be just members can search for now.

My info shows that I'm a member:

Geocacher

Group: Members

Member No.: 130,819

My hosts file has no entries for any sites.

Still no workie ;)

I see you are not a paid premium member? That is most likely it.

Thats actually what I meant. I noticed that a couple gold/premium members mentioned that they could search, which I'm assuming is a paid membership. The error message was something like "no permission" which made me think along the lines of a failed authorization versus just not working.

Well I think that's pretty absurd! Since the search function was disabled, how many "Where's the best place to buy..." and "Tell me what GPS I should buy..." questions do we see around here each day? And who are the ones who are asking them...? Right! Newcomers to the forum. Are we to expect newcomers to pony up $30 so they can see if a question has been asked in the forum or not? Yeah - that's just absurd. So they're just gonna not search and ask the same question 10 times a day! And the powers-that-be want me to pay $30 to be able to speedily find the information they're looking for...?

So go ahead and let the newbs fill up the servers with the same ol' questions so they can invest more money in more hardware and software so later they can raise the premium membership fees... :D

Not sure where you're coming from but the search works fine for me. Make sure you're logged in. Clean up your web cookies too. You can get there from "Tools" at the top of your screen and then click "Internet Options".

I do apologize if you already know how to do this.

IR

Ahh I misread.

And ow I get to pad my post count =P

Well I think that's pretty absurd! Since the search function was disabled, how many "Where's the best place to buy..." and "Tell me what GPS I should buy..." questions do we see around here each day? And who are the ones who are asking them...? Right! Newcomers to the forum. Are we to expect newcomers to pony up $30 so they can see if a question has been asked in the forum or not? Yeah - that's just absurd. So they're just gonna not search and ask the same question 10 times a day! And the powers-that-be want me to pay $30 to be able to speedily find the information

Oh, my. This is bad. Very bad. I just verified that search doesn't work if you're not logged in as a premium member. (I am, my son is not - and I find that changing his email delivery to a random address just becuase it happened to match mine is equally bad.)

Like Neo_Geo, I answer a LOT of question in the tech forums. I pretty much blew a fuse recently. Between the onslaught of "what should I buy" in December and the "I bought it, but it obviously didn't come iwth a manual and google.com is blocked from my browser" questions in January, the inability to tell folks to use the search was just too much. Helping people just required more patience than I had, so I moved on.

Now we're finding that search is available only to the folks least likely to answer newbie questions?

Please reconsider this setting.

I sent a message to contact@geoNO~SPAMcaching.com earlier today expressing my concern over the situation (a little more tactfully than I expressed them above), and here is the reply I received:

Hello [Neo_Geo]

The search feature works for everyone. If you can not access it today give it a few days while they iron out the bugs. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Well, it still isn't workin' for me... guess I'll wait a couple days and see what happens.

Edited by Neo_Geo

You can't possible think that TPTB would knowingly restrict the search function to premium members only, do you?

Clearly this is just a bug, or oversight, or whatever. Don't worry about it, and I don't think there is any need to send nastigrams to Jeremy. I'm sure this thread (among other things) will alert the proper folks that they need to flip a switch or turn a knob.

The sky is not falling.

Jamie

Appears to be working for this lowly cacher. NeoGeo, did you post something bad about Jamie or Hemlock again? :D:D

Yeah, but I guess they've since forgiven me - because now it's working for me! :D

Yea! Woooo-HOOOooooo! Awesome! I've really missed that feature!!!

Edited by Neo_Geo

Interesting since this was a SOFTWARE Issue that this thread is over here under GPS Units and Software

It will take some time to get used to this new Forum software.

Yesterday there was a very heavy load in the Evening:

Most users ever online was 227 on Yesterday, 06:18 PM

The loading of the OLD forums was too high I believe, since alot of people may link to it from outside, plus GOOGLE really loaded it down with tons of external linking.

There had to be a limit to the amount of loading in this new software I would believe, so they started slowely and throttled up the forums to allow heavier use.

They would almost have to have a deeper clustered network of servers to handle the huge load, of people browsing while logged in, and all the GUESTS, and all the external linking to the forums, and I'd imagine that the bandwidth of this Forum SITE, was bogged down, because of all this.

An example of the old Forum Software that went belly-up is here at a different place on the internet called FAIR BOARDS:

http://www.fairboards.org/

I was able to perform an easy search of the FAIRBOARDS, without being logged in.

What I wished this forum was like with the formatting of each post would be like this example:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=52869

The above topic is an Off-topic thread, that I used as an example.

In that thread above, each POST has a post number in the upper right corner.

NOW I SEE it in our POSTS here in the Geocaching forums, and I like the idea of each POST having a post number in the upper right corner

Also in the Forum, when you create or edit a post you see instant formatting, like when you highlight and click BOLD, you see it imediately while editing your POST, so you don't have to keep comming back to re-edit the post to get the formatting just right.

One thing I like about the forum example just above, is that when you go back to edit a POST, it asks you why you are editing it, and it then shows in the post why the person edited his/her POST.

I just happen to have the user name of Geocacher in the above examples.

Edited by GOT GPS?