A Coins Relevance To Geocaching

SCP-173

What is everyones opinion on how relevant a coin should be to geocaching? Just recently I got 2 coins that, aside from the phrase "trackable on geocaching.com", really have nothing to do with caching. There's not even a vague refrence to the hobby they're supposed to have spawned from. It's quite dissapointing, because they're both great looking coins, but I can't really bring myself to call them geocoins.

What is everyones opinion on how relevant a coin should be to geocaching?

Wow that's a really good point. I think the original intention would have been to create a special cache trade item, that soon became a very popular and sought after collectable. I like the fact that we can sit down at events and coin swaps etc. and share something that is somewhat still connected to the sport, plus it makes a pretty cool side hobby in our opinion.

What are the coins in question about/inspired by/to commemerate? I mean, TBs aren't always OT, but they move from cache to cache. Are they your coins or are you just moving them?

As for the non-trackables? That's constantly baffling to me.

The coins I'm talking about are both representing countries. Countries that I know have caches. ;) They're ones that I own.

I can get excited about a coin representing a country...especially if it's a country that isn't as active in caching. I'm more motivated to go to a cache to move a country coin more so than to move a coin commemerating some random dude's ability to...I dn't know...pick the most boogers while caching nude...

Although, if that really were the coin I might have to OWN one on general principle, but you know what I mean. I LIKE the country coins as opposeed to personal coins or the area caching assosciation coins.

But I'm a newbie...

I can get excited about a coin representing a country...especially if it's a country that isn't as active in caching. I'm more motivated to go to a cache to move a country coin more so than to move a coin commemerating some random dude's ability to...I dn't know...pick the most boogers while caching nude...

LMAO! That's funny, but after that geocaching workshop at Edith Macy I can appreciate your humor even more. ;)

I like for a coin to have something to do with caching, with the exception being a personal coin... which actually does have something to do with caching after all... ugh... the cacher. But, hey... if a coin is designed attractivly, I really don't care. If someone comes out with a really great design of a "Hampsters for the Reformation of the Whig Party" coin, I might be tempted to buy it.

Edited by Blodlizrd

What are the coins in question about/inspired by/to commemerate? I mean, TBs aren't always OT, but they move from cache to cache. Are they your coins or are you just moving them?

As for the non-trackables? That's constantly baffling to me.

I thought the original geocoins were a signature item left by a cacher. I don't believe the first coins were trackable. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. GS has taken the coin, turned it into a trackable item, and now competes with the TB's. I have some great coins that I got by personal trades that have nothing to do with geocaching, (they do mention it somewhere on the coin) but reflect the cacher's name or personality. That's what I love about the personal coins, they are just that.....

In regards to your non-trackable comment, I'd like to see how many of a trackable coin actually leaves the hands of the geocacher, I bet the percentage is quite low...... as a collector, I don't even register them, so there was a few $1.50 wasted.....

I made my coins up as signature item and quite a few of them have made it into caches. I also have a couple of trackable coins that I bought that have been set out in the wild. I figure if your going to term it a geocoin then there should be some put out in caches somewhere. Personal coins you make yourself are probably easier to do that with than coins you buy.

I figure if your going to term it a geocoin then there should be some put out in caches somewhere.

Couldn't agree more.

And yes, some coins IMO are REALLY stretching things. Coins about places where there are no caches, or caching in not allowed, etc. Looking back, I'm not sure how relevant the Canine Cachers Coin is now....

With caches to be found in 220 countries, for a cacher from that country wanting to show pride in the fact that he/she both caches and lives there justifies a country coin to me.

Keala I wouldn't leave the house without my caching buddy, so the canine cacher coin also means something. It commemorates good caching buddies....BTW when is the next one coming out?????

I assume one of the coins in question is the Finland coin. While I think the design is pretty slick, aside from the "trackable at..." it does lack any reference to geocaching. Maybe they forgot?

I always try to work in something geocaching related on the coins I've been involved with. They are *geocoins* after all - trackable or not. :D

I own one coin (that isn't trackable), but I got it through the cache-u-nuts coinquest caching scavenger hunt. I planned on releasing it into the wild, but when I found out it wasn't trackable, I put it in a stocked ammo box as an FTF prize. Man, never thought I'd have at least 20 e-mails from all over the country from somone offering to trade me trackable personal coins or money for it. That's nuts! I'd rather throw it in a cache and watch the sick scramble for FTF unfold in the logs. Anyway, that's the only time I could REALLY get excited about a coin because it represented 20 caches that I had to figure out how they applied and drive forever to get in the bitter cold. Now that's a coin relevant to caching.

Looking back, I'm not sure how relevant the Canine Cachers Coin is now....

Let's see... both so far have ammo cans on them, the GX logo, and two different breeds of one of the best Cachin' Buddies a cacher can have!

VERY RELEVANT!! :blink:

Can't wait until we can get back into a house out of this blasted appartment :) , so I can get me a "real" cachin buddy. I already know what it's gonna be and his name! -A Yellow Lab named "Duncan" (As in Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix! :P )

I'm really hoping you guys make one with a Lab on it!! (Hint - Hint!! :D

:D

With caches to be found in 220 countries, for a cacher from that country wanting to show pride in the fact that he/she both caches and lives there justifies a country coin to me.

But pride doesn't mean it has anything at all to do with geocaching. Unless you put something on there caching related it seems ridiculous to call it a geocoin. The canine coins are a good example of something not really caching related that was spruced up to BE geocaching related. All it takes is adding some text and an ammo box.

Couldn't agree more.

And yes, some coins IMO are REALLY stretching things. Coins about places where there are no caches, or caching in not allowed, etc. Looking back, I'm not sure how relevant the Canine Cachers Coin is now....

We are on the same page on this issue.

I will say that the canine cachers coin does mean something to to me because they are my primary geocaching partners.

Couldn't agree more.

We are on the same page on this issue.

I will say that the canine cachers coin does mean something to to me because they are my primary geocaching partners.

Most of the non-relevant to caching coins are out there for one reason - $$$$$

Edited by HuckleBuckle

The definition of a geocoin in a nutshell:

If it has anything "geo" on it, it is a geocoin.

If it is not trackable anywhere, it is a signature geocoin.

If it is trackable anywhere, it is a TB geocoin.

So the sig geocoin found in a cache could be kept or moved on to another cache.

It is not trackable and hence "floating about".

The TB geocoin found in a cache, should be moved on to another cache, unless permission was given by the owner of the coin for the finder to keep or whatever. But the main goal is to track the coin.

Some people are making coins to try to make some money off the people who want any coin.

The value is perceived by the owner or the person who desires it.

If (and a mighty big "if") no one bought a coin (sold anywhere) not related to geocaching, maybe the situation would change.

It is getting very strange out there.

Yes, I collect geocoins.

I used to try and get every coin coming out on these forums.

But it is getting way too expensive to try and get all of them anymore.

I buy what I want after consideration.

Yes, I have my own trackable (but not GC.com) geocoin.

It says on the top line "Thanks For The Cache".

The first one hundred cost me $3.75 each.

The second batch (different color) cost me $2.15 each. No die making cost.

I do not plan on changing my coin design.

The year of the coin is in the tracking number. This can be cheaply changed.

I use a free tracking site. Well, okay. I gave him two coins.

I have traded for coins I wanted and the postage is getting expensive.

I place my geocoins in caches, in hopes they will travel.

I placed one as a FTF prize with the wording "do with as you please". Keep, or move it along.

I agree that geocoins should be in caches. That is what the sig geocoins were for in the first place.

Maybe geocoins have moved into a new phase.

We need to control it.

Someone comes out with a new idea, question the need.

If it is questionable on its "geo-ness", kindly tell the person.

If the coin comes out only on an "auction site" (no names), avoid it.

Unless it is a "dutch" auction with a fixed reasonable price.

My personal opinion (and I do seem to have several right now, huh?) is that a person should not have to pay three or more times the value of a coin to get the coin they want.

That is where the coin trading sites work the best.

Trade five (or more) coins for that special coin you want.

End of rant.

I feel much better now, thank you.

This is certainly cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Not that I need one.

Yet. :blink:

Edited by nscaler

"We need to control it."

:blink:

I didn't know there was a geocoin police force. Who has the right to determine what a coin looks like or whether it specfically says "geocoin" on it? NO ONE. If I want to create a personal geocoin I can put anything on it I want and the only thing I have to worry about is whether it meets the approval of gc.com (only for trackable coins). It appears that there is a lot of people that think they should determine what a coin looks like and whether it is "acceptable"

Personal coins reflect the individual, what did the first geocoin have to do with geocaching? I happen to like the first trackable coin but you certainly could not say what it should have on it. Why do you think you have the power to question the coins that come out?

Now as far as state coins are concerned, most represent a state organization and therefore represents the cachers of that state. Why does it have to be anything other than a state flag or a picture that represents the state and the organization?

I assume one of the coins in question is the Finland coin. While I think the design is pretty slick, aside from the "trackable at..." it does lack any reference to geocaching. Maybe they forgot?

I always try to work in something geocaching related on the coins I've been involved with. They are *geocoins* after all - trackable or not. :blink:

I'm pretty sure that Finland is one of the coins in question. The coin was designed by Finnish geocachers (with a little input from me) for Finnish geocachers.

The design isn't relevant to geocaching, maybe so but I have an idea that over time there will be more Finland geocoins in the wild than any other coin. They don't put their coins in albums over there. They put them in caches.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

We need to control it means the supply and demand of the coins.

Or more " We need to control ourselves".

Who ever wants to make a coin, go for it.

But as a group, "we" are the ones buying the coins.

You can only control yourself. And your needs.

As a former first lady once put it "Just say "No"".

There will always be those who will be out to make money. That is what our "goal" in life is.

There will be the people who will spend four to fives times the value of a coin, because they want it.

I am a member of a coin buying group. I have watched as the members wants have changed (as have mine).

There is a glut on the market of coins. There is a limit. Don't know if we are there yet. I'm watching these forums to find out.

But my needs have changed. I see others needs have changed on these forums too.

I see some $12.00 coins come out with $4.00 shipping.

I can mail one coin for 63 cents.

International for $1.70.

Control yourselves.