Scooter Driving Geocachers?

NeoGranger

We picked up a Vino last year when the gas hit close to $4.00 a gallon. We looked at quite a few but due to the laws here in SC and my husband being on SSI the Vino is what we got. It maxes out at 40 MPH which means you don't have to have a motorcycle license (in SC). And since it doesn't require insurance we don't have to count it as a vehicle (SSI only allows us to own 1). When he caches alone he takes the scooter!

Just for some laughs: a couple weeks ago when my husband got home from work he started telling me about his trip home. He was coming down one of the main downtown roads and heard behind him a very loud, recognizable sound. A hog. He continues on his way home and finally gets to a turn, still hearing the sound behind him, he turned to look at the Hog behind him. He had been hearing this thunderous sound for a good 5 minutes, on this very busy, well traveled road. What he saw was not 1 Hog but 15!!!! He was the leader of the pack! Now imagine that picture! I really wish I had been there with a camera, I will never let him live that down!

;)

I tried to go geocaching on my motorcycle last year. I have a Suzuki Katana but there was no way to mount the gps to the bike. Regular handlebar mounts won't work because it has the low clip on hanldbars that arn't round and I tried a suction cup mount but it didn't want to stay on. :blink:

I have a RAM mount for my Quest on my SV650S (which has clipons); by shifting the right grip just slightly, I was able to fit the mounting bracket onto the clipon.

To keep this more on topic, I had thought about buying a Bergman, looks cool as well as getting good fuel milage but I just felt too ackward riding it... friend of mine has the Kymco scooter and loves it... at one point I'll probably try it out just to say I did.

Here are my two rides; SV650S and XT225 (just got this one 'cause the SVS don't like dirt roads):

twobikes2.jpg

Edited by entropysedge

I tried to go geocaching on my motorcycle last year. I have a Suzuki Katana but there was no way to mount the gps to the bike. Regular handlebar mounts won't work because it has the low clip on hanldbars that arn't round and I tried a suction cup mount but it didn't want to stay on. :blink:

I cache on my scoot, a HD VROD. Check out ram mounts. They have a mount on the end of a bolt that I mounted in place of one of the bolts that holds the clutch lever/master cylinder assembly to the handlebars. My GPS 60cs clears the tank bag, windshield, and speedo/tach.

Well, my two geocaching partners ride Harleys (not when we cache) and they are trying to get me to get a bike so that we can cache on bikes this year. I'm a long time motorcycle owner, I just don't have one right now. I've kinda got my eyes on this one:

ROCKET_Black_BlackEng.jpg

It is a Triumph Rocket 3. I like the red color scheme best.

I tried to go geocaching on my motorcycle last year. I have a Suzuki Katana but there was no way to mount the gps to the bike. Regular handlebar mounts won't work because it has the low clip on hanldbars that arn't round and I tried a suction cup mount but it didn't want to stay on. :)

I'll second the recommendation for RAM Mounts - I use one for my Garmin Quest, and I cache from my Yamaha Royal Star when weather permits. I get to go for a putt, often in some scenic areas, then I get to cache, then I get to ride some more . . . It just can't get any better than that! Even urban micros are better when you're on the bike! You don't even have to get off it for lamppost micros! :huh::huh:

I own a Honda Elite 80 and love caching with it. 109 Miles per gallon and it cost around 2200. Not a bad price considering I'll save that much in gas using it over the next few years. Top speed of around 47MPH but hey, I'm not looking to race people. It pretty much makes parking a non issue seeing as to how you only need about 1 foot of space to pull off on the side of a road. I highly enjoy using mine on warm days. It's not so great when it comes to Ice however so the winter months I keep it packed away. I would recommend getting one. They are just cool as hell to have, to hell with those hippy stereo types.:ph34r:

S

My wife and I both have Vespa ET4s. I picked mine up in the first year and my wife's is just over a year old.

I also ride motorcycles though I don't own one. This is a shot of my Dad's Harley and the Honda Shadow I had on loan.

e204d30d-6a57-4f9a-9510-131c89681644.jpg

Edited by Jeremy

With 50-60 degree weather in central Ohio, we have seen motorcyclists throughout our "winter" months this year and... I am the wife! :laughing:

Back when I rode a motorcycle, the coldest temperature that I ever rode in was 19 degrees.

During the winter I would get off the icy side street that I lived on to the clear and dry main road by riding with both feet on the ground to act as outriggers.

With 50-60 degree weather in central Ohio, we have seen motorcyclists throughout our "winter" months this year and... I am the wife! :laughing:

Back when I rode a motorcycle, the coldest temperature that I ever rode in was 19 degrees.

During the winter I would get off the icy side street that I lived on to the clear and dry main road by riding with both feet on the ground to act as outriggers.

I have ridden scooters off and on since 1960. Last yeqr I bought A Big Ruckus 250, a PS-250. Here in Kitsap County, I do most of my Geocaching with it. I am 81 and have only had it up to 68 mph but the big boys tell me it will do more than that. I also get about 55 mpg. Many say they do much better than that. BTW it is a Honda. Last year, the day after Labor Day, we towed it up to Whidbey Island, WA at Deception Pass Park and the XYL and I rode it around the island looking for caches. Not many people around and we really enjoyed it. It has the weight low and sticks to the road at high speeds. With the street tires, it is not that great for gravel roads. Has two headlights and oncoming sort of looks like a motorcycle. I get a lot of waves from the Harley group. After, I get pass them, I can see them turn and look and I am sure they are saying "What the Hell was That." Dick, W7WT Sorry, I forgot how to post a picture. If you are interest see my found log on "Hello..,Woody GCQ2H5

Edited by W7WT

Just wondering if there are any scootering geocachers out there. I'm gearing up (saving up) to get my Kymco People 150 this April and already an avid cacher. Thought I might be joining some already established territory and thought I'd introduce myself to this caching niche...

All right, folks, I would like to strongly suggest that this topic is highly inappropriate and that the thread be shut down immediately! We all know that in many parts of the USA and indeed, in parts of Europe and Asia as well, the honorable sport of geocaching has been given a very bad name in recent months because of the rapidly-rising phenomena of gangs of little old geocacher ladies on scooters -- in renegade posses which have been aptly-named the "Geocache Scooter Gangs" -- running amok in cities and villages and stealing geocache supplies from shops and from geocachers alike, often physically intimidating and terrorizing multitudes of much younger men and women -- both geocachers and non-geocachers -- in the process. This phenomenon of these little elderly female geocacher hooligans in their "Geocache Scooter Gangs" rampaging, pillaging and looting cities and villages -- and even other geocachers -- across the face of the earth is a major scourge and must be brought to a swift end if geocaching is ever going to survive as an ongoing sport. And, I propose that the only way to end this scourge of the renegade elderly geocacher scooter women in these "Geocache Scooter Gangs" is by self-policing within the geocaching world. We can start this self-policing right now by refusing to discuss such lurid topics as geocaching scooters on the Groundspeak forums, for such discussions simply encourage such bands of hooligans, and give the impression that we tolerate such aggressive and vicious behavior by wandering bands of renegade outlaw little old lady geocachers on scooters.

:ph34r::anicute:

:D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

A scooter wouldn't work for me while geocaching. I wouldn't have room for my telescoping reach pole, 4 foot ladder, bag of spare clothes, bag of special geocaching equipment (mirrors, long tweezers, gloves, etc.), hat and walking staff, ice chest full of bottled water and diet Dr. Pepper, backpack with stuff for hiking, three flashlights and headlamps. My StreetPilot won't fit on the handlebars and I can't carry the 60CX and drive too.

A scooter wouldn't work for me while geocaching. I wouldn't have room for my telescoping reach pole, 4 foot ladder, bag of spare clothes, bag of special geocaching equipment (mirrors, long tweezers, gloves, etc.), hat and walking staff, ice chest full of bottled water and diet Dr. Pepper, backpack with stuff for hiking, three flashlights and headlamps. My StreetPilot won't fit on the handlebars and I can't carry the 60CX and drive too.

Actually, with the right scooter you could carry everything except maybe the ladder.

Oh, and RAM makes a handlebar mount for your Streetpilot too. :D

I tried to go geocaching on my motorcycle last year. I have a Suzuki Katana but there was no way to mount the gps to the bike. Regular handlebar mounts won't work because it has the low clip on hanldbars that arn't round and I tried a suction cup mount but it didn't want to stay on. :drama:

I've been thinking of getting another motorcycle, and I figure if I do and can't get a mount to work, there's always the tank bag with map pocket option for the GPS.

Ahhhh. lots of two wheelers out there !!!

I used to ride, but when a Dr. told he didn't think he could save my right foot, I decided if I ever

walked out of there, I wouldn't get back on one. (he did save it, by the way) It took almost 20 years before I got back on, but just didn't feel safe.

So instead now, I plan to use and wear out all my body parts, instead of donating them early :drama:

I guess that is a little harsh, but in Houston we have had 6 fatal MC accidents in the last month or so, that I know of.

Kind of scary....Way too much traffic here for them.

Actually, with the right scooter you could carry everything except maybe the ladder.

Oh, and RAM makes a handlebar mount for your Streetpilot too. :drama:

HMMMM

Kind of scary....Way too much traffic here for them.

All the more reason to wear modern protective gear and take a MSF sponsored course.

It's hot, but new modern gear helps. A few manufacturers make summer-weight jackets, pants, and gloves. These are high tech mesh garments with armor in all the right places. Still, these are only good for most road rash and the bumps on the protruding areas that go along with it.

No protective gear will prevent plowing headlong into the goof that just turned left across your lane. That's where staying alert and practicing your avoidance maneuvers come into play. It's best to know how to not get in trouble in the first place, then be prepared for going down when it happens.

I think I heard somewhere that taking a rider course reduces your chances of getting in an accident by some 90%*. It's not simply the course doing it, but the attitude of those who take it. These folks want to be safe and the course gives them the knowledge to be able to work on that skill set.

*Here's an interesting story. Quoting the really interesting part:

Of the licensed riders who were killed between 1998 and 2003, not one had participated in the state-administered Florida Rider Training Program.

Take a look at the Honda PS 250, the Big Ruckus. I took a Garmin mount for the 76C and took the top off and mounted it near the left handlebar on a screw holding the brake lever.

Works fine for me. I have added a back rest for the XYL and a tool box on the back. Between the backrest and the tool box I put a three inch PVC pipe which is about 20 inches long. It is long enough for me to put my monopod which I use as a probe. Also room for a bottle of water. If the wife doesn't go along there is lots of room between the back seat in the upright position for the driver's back and the passenger's back rest. Room for a full size pack. You can even pack stuff in the front as well. Dick, Bremerton, WA