General Question

TNTurkey

If I have a know way point, is there any way to find out where N 32 Degrees 245 feet is??? I guess I am really asking if there is a program that will convert this over to a GPS corr for me? any help would be appreiciate. We are trying to map out some property lines and know where a ew cornors are, and hope we can conver the calls on the deeds to GPS location.

Thanks,

Sam

I think what you are asking to do is to "project" a waypoint. Most GPSrs will allow you to project a waypoint from your current location or from a known waypoint. What model of GPS unit do you have?

That is exactly what I want to do. I just ordered a Garmin Legend. I hope this will allow me to do it. I ordered the instructional DVD too. can anyone give me some hints on how to do this (project waypoints) ;)

I don't believe the Garmin Legend will let you project waypoints in FEET, the best I could ever get it do to is to project .01 of a mile which is about 50 feet. Not very helpful for geocaching or the OP's intended use.

ExpertGPS will project a waypoint in feet, maybe EasyGPS will to, I dunno.

Edited by Tharagleb

I helped someone on these Forums pinpoint 50 year old wooden property markers.

They did let me know they were able to find them using their GPS and my numbers.

But I did not use a GPS to calculate the marker locations.

I wouldn't even try. There are better tools for the job.

First I told them they needed to locate at least 1 marker and provide GPS Coordinates for it.

They had that information.

Then they sent me a PDF of their lot complete with the property line "calls".

The information you provided in your post is not a complete property line call.

Some information is missing.

Also old property line call directional information is based on a Compass heading.

I had to determine what the Magnetic Declination was in that area 50 years ago.

Finally I sent him a PDF with the calculated GPS coords so he could search for them.

Perhaps I just got lucky the first time.

But if you would like me to try and help you send me an e-mail.

I don't believe the Garmin Legend will let you project waypoints in FEET, the best I could ever get it do to is to project .01 of a mile which is about 50 feet. Not very helpful for geocaching or the OP's intended use.

ExpertGPS will project a waypoint in feet, maybe EasyGPS will to, I dunno.

If you also go into Setup, Units, and change your Distance/Speed units to Yards then you can do your projections in "Yds"...at least that's the steps on my Map76CS

On the 60cs/76cs/legend c, etc., when projecting a waypoint (MARK->MENU->Project Waypoint), cursor over to the little 'mi' in the lower right corner and hit ENTR. A hidden menu pops up right there and lets you change the projection units to mi, ft, yd, km, m, nm. From there, you can select miles, feet, yards, kilometers, meters or nautical miles. This post talks more about it, and offers a screen shot (thanks jotne).

Not sure if the regular Legend will let you do this.