Weird Problem With City Select And 60csx

jfrush

I have a GPSmap 60CSx with City Select v7

Two days ago I decide to find On The Border . As soon as I got about a half mile from it my gps turns off. Thinking it's the batteries (even though the indicator showed full) I pulled over and put in a fresh set. When I turned it on the screen blinked for about a half second and then went off. I changed the batteries again with the same results. I plugged it in to the cigarette lighter and it stayed on for about a 30 seconds and then shut off. I drove about a mile away, found a good place to park and removed and reinstalled the Transflash card. The unit powered up and seemed to work fine so I drove back towards the cache. When I got about 200 feet away from it the GPS locked up and would not respond to any buttons, I couldn't even turn it off. Really frustrated now, I drove back to the parking place about a mile down the road and removed and reinstalled the batteries. The unit powered up fine. I decided to go to the next cache and for the rest of the day the unit worked flawlessly.

Yesterday the unit worked flawlessly all day.

So today I decide to give On The Border another try and you guessed it, a half mile from the cache the unit shuts off again! I went ahead and left it off and found the cache using the hint and clues from the log entries and went on to the next cache. As soon as I got more than a half mile from the cache I turned my GPS back on and it worked perfectly.

So I'm thinking is there some kind of weird electrical interference or something causing this? Then it hits me, maybe there's a bug in the City Select map. So I pull out the Transflash card and drive back to the cache, this time the GPS works perfectly.

Anyone have any similar experience?

I had a similar problem with my 6cs. It was at the airport. Once the plane landed I turned my GPS on(while still on the plane) and it would search for sattlite for a while then would shut off by itself. Once I got away from the plane and in the terminal it happend a couple more times, but once i left the airport it was fine. Sounds like garmin may have designed them to shut off where they can cause interferance to aircraft gps systems.

I have a GPSmap 60CSx with City Select v7

Two days ago I decide to find On The Border . As soon as I got about a half mile from it my gps turns off. Thinking it's the batteries (even though the indicator showed full) I pulled over and put in a fresh set. When I turned it on the screen blinked for about a half second and then went off. I changed the batteries again with the same results. I plugged it in to the cigarette lighter and it stayed on for about a 30 seconds and then shut off. I drove about a mile away, found a good place to park and removed and reinstalled the Transflash card. The unit powered up and seemed to work fine so I drove back towards the cache. When I got about 200 feet away from it the GPS locked up and would not respond to any buttons, I couldn't even turn it off. Really frustrated now, I drove back to the parking place about a mile down the road and removed and reinstalled the batteries. The unit powered up fine. I decided to go to the next cache and for the rest of the day the unit worked flawlessly.

Yesterday the unit worked flawlessly all day.

So today I decide to give On The Border another try and you guessed it, a half mile from the cache the unit shuts off again! I went ahead and left it off and found the cache using the hint and clues from the log entries and went on to the next cache. As soon as I got more than a half mile from the cache I turned my GPS back on and it worked perfectly.

So I'm thinking is there some kind of weird electrical interference or something causing this? Then it hits me, maybe there's a bug in the City Select map. So I pull out the Transflash card and drive back to the cache, this time the GPS works perfectly.

Anyone have any similar experience?

There gave been a few reports of this happening at specific locations. As I recall, Garmin changed something in version 3.7 of the firmware that was supposed to solved the problem, but it has shown up a few times since then. I would make sure that you have the latest firmware installed, and if it is still acting wonky, report it to Garmin tech support.

There gave been a few reports of this happening at specific locations. As I recall, Garmin changed something in version 3.7 of the firmware that was supposed to solved the problem, but it has shown up a few times since then. I would make sure that you have the latest firmware installed, and if it is still acting wonky, report it to Garmin tech support.

I do have the latest firmware installed. It's been several days and the problem has not resurfaced, of course I haven't been back to that particular spot either :)

Edited by jfrush