Forum Etiquette

sept1c_tank

et·i·quette n, rules of acceptable behavior: the rules and conventions governing correct or polite behavior in society in general or in a particular social or professional group or situation.

The Forum Guidelines map out what is acceptable, or not, according to the administration of this website.

According to you, what is considered good form and proper etiquette within the stated guidelines in these forums? Is it OK to post photos (already published on this site) of other people without their knowledge or consent? What about quoting other people (from a different topic) purely to display inconsistencies in their logic? Is making a joke about other registered forum users kosher?

Is it considered proper etiquette to:

• Link to someone’s profile when you mention them?
  • Make off topic comments?
  • Post on every new topic?
  • Stir the pot (devil’s advocate)?
  • Bump very old topics just for fun?
  • Comment on poor spelling or grammar of other forum users?
  • Call someone on poor etiquette?
  • Use all caps?
  • Use all lower case?
  • Use multiple emoticons?
  • Use nothing but emoticons?
  • Use sarcasm without any emoticons?
  • Use innuendos (political, sexual, etc.)?

Feel free to add to and comment on the above list. :lol::wacko:

* Link to someone’s profile when you mention them? - Sure, if you want

* Make off topic comments? - Yeah, bacon is my favorite food

* Post on every new topic? - If you're that bored, go for it

* Stir the pot (devil’s advocate)? - Of course

* Bump very old topics just for fun? - Yup

* Comment on poor spelling or grammar of other forum users? - I wouldn't do this ... some of us can't spell worth a darn, and some are too lazy to check for typos

* Call someone on poor etiquette? - If you want

* Use all caps? - HATE THIS

* Use all lower case? - don't mind this as much

* Use multiple emoticons? - fine

* Use nothing but emoticons? - kinda silly, but whatever

* Use sarcasm without any emoticons? - Yes

* Use innuendos (political, sexual, etc.)? - Yes

IMHO: Any post that is intended to insult or hurt the feelings of someone else is poor form. Anything else that is at least marginally related to the topic is appropriate. SHOUTING adds nothing to the information being conveyed. Emoticons are useful to insure that the spirit of your post is understood. :wacko:

When someone else behaves badly, it is more effective to ignore them than to argue. Sometimes a PM is the best way to handle the situation.

The tone of your posts should match the seriousness of the topic. If you're discussing politics or religion, it might be best to pull your punches, and keep emotional content to a minimum. If you're counting cheese, then maybe a more lighthearted, or even naughty mood will be acceptable.

It always comes down to common sense. Every community--on-line or otherwise--has it's own standards. Be sensitive to what seems acceptable, and make an effort to insure that your own thoughts (and mood) are communicated effectively.

* Link to someone’s profile when you mention them? If you want to, yeah. It helps out some users. But most users wouldn't take the extra time to do so.

* Make off topic comments? This is one of the questions that is up in the air for me. I think it depends on how far off topic, and why it is being said. A tasteful joke, for example, would be welcome to me. :wacko:

* Post on every new topic? If you have something meaningful to say, sure!

* Stir the pot (devil’s advocate)? If that's your thing, but be prepared to make enemies rather quickly LOL

* Bump very old topics just for fun? In very extreme circumstances, maybe. It's a very tough call, and I would say that if it pertains to what you want to talk about - I would rather see an old thread come up, than see a new thread come up. But not just for fun, no. For a purpose.

* Comment on poor spelling or grammar of other forum users? Sure, but send them a PM. Don't come out in public with your comments on spelling or grammar. Chances are that you have your own spelling or grammatical errors :lol: And be nice about it! The person might not be able to help it or know any better.

* Call someone on poor etiquette? Sure, but do it privately. Send them a PM. Leave your thoughts about it out of the public eye.

* Use all caps? Definitely not. Using all caps is very rude to everyone else who reads. At the very very very very most, you should use all caps for a single sentence, but only if you have a lengthy post. I use caps for single words, for emphasis, but only because i'm too lazy to type the BBCode to bold them :lol:

* Use all lower case? Definitely cool. I do a lot of typing online, and in forums, I do my best to be 100% perfect, but

* Use multiple emoticons? In a row? I don't recommend it. In a post, sure! My rule of thumb is a MAX of one emoticon per sentence (Though I never have that many lol).

* Use nothing but emoticons? To me, emoticons CAN say a lot, but a post with nothing BUT emoticons is a waste of breath, IMHO.

* Use sarcasm without any emoticons? Yes. If the other person doesn't understand that it was sarcasm (I'm a very sarcastic person, though I TRY to leave it out of my forum conversations), then you may have to go back and explain to them, though.

* Use innuendos (political, sexual, etc.)? If they are not directed TO another forum member, then you might use them sparingly. You could possibly be labelled for it, but I don't think it hurts anyone if it's not aimed at them. Personally, I would not use them at all!

Link to someone’s profile when you mention them?

Sure, if you like, it's helpful.

Make off topic comments?

I like to make jokes, but I try to keep it with the topic.

Post on every new topic?

Only if you have something useful to say, I'll usually jump on a newbie thread if I see it pop up.

Stir the pot (devil’s advocate)?

Oh it's so much fun!!! ;)

Bump very old topics just for fun?

I'm not too fond of when people do that, it clutters up the current topics, but sometimes it turns out well.

Comment on poor spelling or grammar of other forum users?

Taht just kritical, but if it aful bad do by PM.

Call someone on poor etiquette?

Yes, if someone is insulting others, or just being rude, it puts them in their place to be called on it.

Use all caps?

WHATS THAT! I CAN'T HEAR, YOUR YELLING!!!

Use all lower case?

i'd probably never notice.

Use multiple emoticons?

Use nothing but emoticons?

Depends on the situation.

Use sarcasm without any emoticons?

Sure, if people didn't get the point its not your fault, but they help if you want to get the point across.

Use innuendos (political, sexual, etc.)?

Depends on how it's done.

anyone for the fun of it started to spell different words using the letters of etiquette? I have one but I think it is against the proper etiquette to say :)

What's the breast best site that will take a word and show you all the possible combinations of the letters? :blink:

et·i·quette n, rules of acceptable behavior: the rules and conventions governing correct or polite behavior in society in general or in a particular social or professional group or situation.

The Forum Guidelines map out what is acceptable, or not, according to the administration of this website.

According to you, what is considered good form and proper etiquette within the stated guidelines in these forums? Is it OK to post photos (already published on this site) of other people without their knowledge or consent? What about quoting other people (from a different topic) purely to display inconsistencies in their logic? Is making a joke about other registered forum users kosher?

Is it considered proper etiquette to:

• Link to someone’s profile when you mention them?
  • Make off topic comments?
  • Post on every new topic?
  • Stir the pot (devil’s advocate)?

• Bump very old topics just for fun?

• Comment on poor spelling or grammar of other forum users?
  • Call someone on poor etiquette?
  • Use all caps?
  • Use all lower case?
  • Use multiple emoticons?
  • Use nothing but emoticons?
  • Use sarcasm without any emoticons?
  • Use innuendos (political, sexual, etc.)?

Feel free to add to and comment on the above list. :D:ph34r:

Sure it is! :D:ph34r: