Gsak - Keeping It Up To Date?

BTW....My googlemail seems to work just as Pharasee says. Getmail retrieves the PQ and deletes it from the inbox but I can still see it in googlemail in the deleted items folder.

Fact ...

That's what I & Pharisee have been saying all along :lol:

Fact

My accounts do not display this behavior, unless I have the leave on server flag assigned, I'm positive that having it assigned is not an issue so you have no need to dissolution the setting.

If I load a GPX file via the 'Ooen GPX/LOC' button then I have the option to exclude the extra Waypoints from the GSAK database. I can't find this when using the 'Get Mail' function. Am I missing something or is there a way to stop the extras being loaded?

If I load a GPX file via the 'Ooen GPX/LOC' button then I have the option to exclude the extra Waypoints from the GSAK database. I can't find this when using the 'Get Mail' function. Am I missing something or is there a way to stop the extras being loaded?

Set "Exclude . . ." from the "Open GPX/LOC" button setting and it will apply when you run "GETMAIL" - at least it does for me.

BTW....My googlemail seems to work just as Pharasee says. Getmail retrieves the PQ and deletes it from the inbox but I can still see it in googlemail in the deleted items folder.

Fact ...

That's what I & Pharisee have been saying all along :D

Fact

My accounts do not display this behavior, unless I have the leave on server flag assigned, I'm positive that having it assigned is not an issue so you have no need to dissolution the setting.

If I've understood you all correctly Moote says that "Delete" removes his pqs completely from GoogleMail, and Pharisee and Hi-Tek say it moves their pqs to "Trash". (I've only just skimmed through this rather long thread, so sorry if I've got that wrong).

For me, "Delete" does nothing! The files stay in my inbox after using Getmail...! I've just checked that - I ran Getmail yesterday evening with "Delete" checked as always, and the pqs it fetched and loaded are still in my inbox.

Could some other factor be involved here, to cause different behaviour with different setups?

Fact ...

That's what I & Pharisee have been saying all along :anicute:

Fact

If I've understood you all correctly Moote says that "Delete" removes his pqs completely from GoogleMail, and Pharisee and Hi-Tek say it moves their pqs to "Trash". (I've only just skimmed through this rather long thread, so sorry if I've got that wrong).

For me, "Delete" does nothing! The files stay in my inbox after using Getmail...! I've just checked that - I ran Getmail yesterday evening with "Delete" checked as always, and the pqs it fetched and loaded are still in my inbox.

Could some other factor be involved here, to cause different behaviour with different setups?

Fact ...

Hi Bill

Good to see some more factual info relevant to this fascinating subject. For my part my Gmail account is set as follows ...

Under Gmail "settings" ...

... there is a tab called "Forwarding and POP" ... here I have "When messages are accessed with POP" I have " delete Google Mail's copy" selected.

Hope you had a great weekend - I surely did.

Fact ...

That's what I & Pharisee have been saying all along :anicute:

Fact

Fact ...

Hi Bill

Good to see some more factual info relevant to this fascinating subject. For my part my Gmail account is set as follows ...

... there is a tab called "Forwarding and POP" ... here I have "When messages are accessed with POP" I have " delete Google Mail's copy" selected.

Amazed

My Googlemail account does not have that setting!

I don't suppose anyone has a good way of making sure the nearest 2000 or so caches are up to date?

I can see how the setup described above will work for the whole UK, but can I set up PQ to give me the nearest 2000 or so? If I use a date filter then the amount will just get bigger and bigger? I suppose I could manually change the start date from time to time but it rather defeats the object?

It's a pity PQ can't work out that a search is more than 500 caches then break it down into 1st 500, 2nd 500 etc.

then we would always be up to date on the 2000 or so nearest?

Am I missing something?

I don't suppose anyone has a good way of making sure the nearest 2000 or so caches are up to date?

I can see how the setup described above will work for the whole UK, but can I set up PQ to give me the nearest 2000 or so? If I use a date filter then the amount will just get bigger and bigger? I suppose I could manually change the start date from time to time but it rather defeats the object?

It's a pity PQ can't work out that a search is more than 500 caches then break it down into 1st 500, 2nd 500 etc.

then we would always be up to date on the 2000 or so nearest?

Am I missing something?

As Brian says:-

Set a parameter in the PQ for say 75M radius from your home coords or postcode.

Then play around with the "placed between" dates

You need to start at Jan-1-2000 and find a date probably in 2002/3 where the total number of caches does not exceed 500.

This result will never increase unless someone travels back in time!! :huh::huh::anicute:

Then continue with the next PQ using the day following the end date of PQ1 as the start date and using trial and error find the date that returns just under 500 caches again.

Repeat this until you have covered all dates until the present day.

The final PQ should have an end date of Dec-31-2009.

When this returns 500 caches you will need to create another, and another etc. (but that's one for the future)

When you set-up your PQ's make sure that the boxes showing the days of the week are all unchecked until you are happy that they are returning the results.

The way to check the results of your PQ's is to go to the list of PQ's and click on the preview link next to the PQ in question.

When all is set up to your satisfaction, tick the boxes to select which PQ's you want to run on which days of the week.

These PQ's need to be run at least weekly as PQ's won't update archived caches and you will only be able to identify these by creating a filter in GSAK using the "last GPX" parameter.

However you should cover your requirements within your 5 PQ daily limit, so why not set up Getmail and run them daily and your database will always be bang up to date?

Sounds far more complicated than it really is ....honest! :P

Edited by The Mars Bars

Ok, so I get the setup in the main. And if I can work out how to set up a macro the run getmail on strtup then its 99% there.

the bit I don't understand is the bit about archiving.

markandlyn explain "In addition it is necessary to find in GSAK caches that have not been updated recently (use the column Last GPX update) you then need to download these individually as they will be permanently archived caches."

Prsumably if they are archived they can't be found so why would I want to know? And when they are unarchived they appear back in the lists?

I guess as a nOOb I'm missing something?

Prsumably if they are archived they can't be found so why would I want to know? And when they are unarchived they appear back in the lists?

I guess as a nOOb I'm missing something?

Archived caches don't show up in PQs at all. So, if you imagine a cache being archived, its status in GSAK will never be updated, because there is nothing in a PQ to tell it that. Therefore it will sit in GSAK as happy as larry, being exported to cachemate/gpxsonar or whatever, and also onto your GPS and whatever other software you use. Off you toddle looking for local caches, and then wander why you can't find it! lol

So, as Markandlynn say, if you update every cache at least once a week, then at some point these archived caches won't be updated. You can filter for any caches in GSAK that haven't been updated in a week, and then either check them online to make sure they are archived (which I do, being a cynic!) or just automatically flag them as archived/move them to a different database/delete them or whatever you'd rather do. Its essential you do somehting with them though!

Hope that explains and apologies if it covered bits you already know!

Dave

Ok, so I get the setup in the main. And if I can work out how to set up a macro the run getmail on strtup then its 99% there.

You don't need to worry about Macro's.

Open GSAK

Just hit

<File>

then

<Get data via Email>

Fill in the POP settings etc for your email server and you're away!! :):D

Works real well with Googlemail, it's free and worth setting up just for your PQ's.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars

yep - i implied that!

I haven't got GSAK on this PC, but I seem to remember its in the options somewhere - possibly the tools dropdown menu.

For this bit, you do need a macro, but to start with, that could simply be one line:

GETMAIL Name=gmail

When setting up your getmail, you should have the option to save the settings (eg gmail in above example)

Call the Macro something sensible, eg Mail, or Startup, or whatever, and then specify this in the options box as above.

This will then run getmail at startup. Once thats working, you can add bits to the Startup macro, depending on what you'd like to do.

Mail me through my profile if you need more advice, and I'll check my GSAK when I get home (about 9pm). Alternatively, wait until someone posts on here to correct what I've just said! lol

Dave

yep - i implied that!

I haven't got GSAK on this PC, but I seem to remember its in the options somewhere - possibly the tools dropdown menu.

For this bit, you do need a macro, but to start with, that could simply be one line:

GETMAIL Name=gmail

When setting up your getmail, you should have the option to save the settings (eg gmail in above example)

Call the Macro something sensible, eg Mail, or Startup, or whatever, and then specify this in the options box as above.

This will then run getmail at startup. Once thats working, you can add bits to the Startup macro, depending on what you'd like to do.

Mail me through my profile if you need more advice, and I'll check my GSAK when I get home (about 9pm). Alternatively, wait until someone posts on here to correct what I've just said! lol

Dave

Just tried this but on start up I got an error message in GSAK saying that there was "Missing Mandatory Token Settings" and macro will now close.

What is the full script to get Getmail to run on start up?

Does anybody know off hand?

Cheers

Dave

OK, this is my setup for this, and works fine for me.

My GetMail settings are as per usual, and saved as blueyonder

I have a Macro called Mail, which is as follows

DATABASE Name="Default" Action=select

GETMAIL Settings="Blueyonder" OnError=Prompt ShowStats=Yes

FILTER Name="not updated"

VIEW name="Normal"

To explain, the first line selects the databse where I want the PQs imported into.

The next runs Getmail and uses the Blueyonder settings described above. (I got that bit wrong earlier)

I then reselect the databse and run a filter for caches that haven't been updated. The filter is described below, although these last two lines are optional.

IN GSAK Tools/Options Advanced Tab, there is a box to specify a macro to run - this is where I specify the Mail macro.

Thats it!

My not updated filter specifies in the date tab that the last GPX updaqte was not during the last week. The results of this filter are almost certainly archived, but I then go and manually check these on GC.com and download the GPX file manually.

Feel free to ask further or e-mail if you like.

Dave

Edited by purple_pineapple

OK, this is my setup for this, and works fine for me.

My GetMail settings are as per usual, and saved as blueyonder

I have a Macro called Mail, which is as follows

GETMAIL Settings="Blueyonder" OnError=Prompt ShowStats=Yes

FILTER Name="not updated"

VIEW name="Normal"

To explain, the first line selects the databse where I want the PQs imported into.

The next runs Getmail and uses the Blueyonder settings described above. (I got that bit wrong earlier)

I then reselect the databse and run a filter for caches that haven't been updated. The filter is described below, although these last two lines are optional.

IN GSAK Tools/Options Advanced Tab, there is a box to specify a macro to run - this is where I specify the Mail macro.

Thats it!

My not updated filter specifies in the date tab that the last GPX updaqte was not during the last week. The results of this filter are almost certainly archived, but I then go and manually check these on GC.com and download the GPX file manually.

Feel free to ask further or e-mail if you like.

Dave

Followed all of that so now GSAK opens and the macro does it's thing....

Checks Googlemail as it should....

But I already did a Getmail manually earlier so there is nothing to download.

So instead of just opening in like 2 or 3 seconds, GSAK now goes through the

rigmarole of loading all 20 dated GPX files from the folder that getmail saves them to?!?

Or have I done something wrong?

Cheers

Dave

ah, yes, forgot about that! My settings include deleting the PQ from the server when it has imported, so it can never try and do it twice. To be honest, I'm not sure at the moment how you could set it to keep the PQ somewhere but not try reimporting. Anyone else do this? I'll have a think....

You will find it has to scan your e-mails everytime, but that itself doesn't take too long.

Dave

ah, yes, forgot about that! My settings include deleting the PQ from the server when it has imported, so it can never try and do it twice. To be honest, I'm not sure at the moment how you could set it to keep the PQ somewhere but not try reimporting. Anyone else do this? I'll have a think....

You will find it has to scan your e-mails everytime, but that itself doesn't take too long.

Dave

No, I mean it scans my email but cant find anything to download.

not a problem, as this is quite quick.

(because I too have the option to delete from server after download ticked).

Then it proceeds to not just import todays PQ's but everyone in the folder where they are stored, which takes quite a while. :)

Cheers

Dave

oh ok, i gotcha.

If you aren't bothered about keeping these PQs in the folder that you currently have them, then its easy to solve.

In the Getmail settings, there is an option to specify the settings used for loading files. Mine is called Zip.

You need to go to the Load GPX/LOC dialogue, and save some settings there (eg called Zip)

Select Load folder of files, specify the location, and tick the Zip box (assuming you get them as zips). I have mine to always update (but this could technically be wrong - although it works for me) and you can decide to exclude the new additional waypoints here. You can also tell it to delete the zip file when imported - the important bit!!

This means you won't have any folders of files left, which I can live with. After all, if it goes pear shaped, you only have to wait a week and everything is up to date again!

It MIGHT be possible to use a macro to physically move the files after loading, to a backup folder, but thats another story!

oh ok, i gotcha.

If you aren't bothered about keeping these PQs in the folder that you currently have them, then its easy to solve.

In the Getmail settings, there is an option to specify the settings used for loading files. Mine is called Zip.

You need to go to the Load GPX/LOC dialogue, and save some settings there (eg called Zip)

Select Load folder of files, specify the location, and tick the Zip box (assuming you get them as zips). I have mine to always update (but this could technically be wrong - although it works for me) and you can decide to exclude the new additional waypoints here. You can also tell it to delete the zip file when imported - the important bit!!

This means you won't have any folders of files left, which I can live with. After all, if it goes pear shaped, you only have to wait a week and everything is up to date again!

It MIGHT be possible to use a macro to physically move the files after loading, to a backup folder, but thats another story!

OK, sorted that....

all seems to work fine now unless I don't have a live internet connection then I get an error message and I have to manually stop the Macro.

I'll live with it for a while and see if it's better than just manually selecting Get data via email.

Not much in it really.

Thanks for your help, I've learnt quite a bit tonight...

Time for a drink now I think.

Cheers

Dave

hi-tek wrote:

Thanks, Keith! I'd glanced through Googlemail's settings when I started using it, but left that one unchanged as at the time I was choosing to leave mail on the server in case GSAK screwed up and I lost my pqs. I later changed Getmail to delete, but forgot about the Googlemail settings! Seemingly Googlemail ignores delete requests from Getmail if it's set to leave mail on the server.

i'm on broadband, so that bit isn't a problem. if you find that a bit annoying though, and aren't online most of the time, then you could always assign the macro to a toolbar button and run it that way instead.

enjoy your drink! mines a double ;-)

Of course I'm on broadband also.......

Imagine doing this on dial-up!!! :)

So it isn't generally a problem.

Only if I fire up GSAK whilst out and about away from base.

It's not worth doing as you say, assigning a button for the macro,

I might as well just do without the Macro as it wouldn't save any clicks etc.

Enjoyed my drink....typing's suffered for it mind. :D

TTFN

Dave

Sorry...someone is going to have to really spell it out for me. This GETMAIL function - do you set it up on googlemail or in GSAK? :blink:

In GSAK. One of its features is to connect to your email service provider, check for any PQ results in your inbox and automatically load them into GSAK. Optionally, it can then delete the email to get it out of your inbox.

Which is very neat. Unfortunately however, I don't think that feature's quite caught up with the new sub-waypoint things gc.com has introduced (parking, trailhead, etc.) When importing a PQ manually the latest build of GSAK has the option to just ignore these, but that feature didn't seem to have made it onto the email dialog last time I looked. I'm sure it's on its way.

Another thing you can do (which I found out quite late, so possibly others don't know about either) is to drag a zip file directly into GSAK - i.e., just drop it on top of GSAK's window. This works really well if you use a desktop client like Outlook Express, because you can just drag it from the email right into GSAK. It will obviously work less well with web-based mail, because then you'll have to manually download the zip file first.

GETMAIL itself doesn't have the facility to exclude the additional waypoints. This is done in the load file setting. In the GETMAIL dialogue, you can specify some load settings. If you save the Load GPX/LOC settings with the exclude waypoints box ticked, then use these load settings in GETMAIL, then problem solved!

Thanks! I'll try it out tonight.

Sorry...someone is going to have to really spell it out for me. This GETMAIL function - do you set it up on googlemail or in GSAK? :blink:

In GSAK. One of its features is to connect to your email service provider, check for any PQ results in your inbox and automatically load them into GSAK. Optionally, it can then delete the email to get it out of your inbox.

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll have a go when I get home tonight.

GSAK just gets better and better once you've figured out all it can do (and there's an awful lot Im sure I still don't know about it!) :blink:

snip ..

many thanks for this.

saved me hours of head scratching.

needs a little update from orig post:

19. 22/01/06 - 15/02/06

20. 16/02/06 -

out of interest how do you schedule these to run

and when do you do your import into gsak.

i was thinking of doing 4 blocks of 5, from monday thru thursday.

then an import on friday (using 'get data from email').

so i'm up-to-date and hot-to-trot for the weekend .

thanks again

ok

so now i've got all the uk caches into gsak.

and i've done a custom export to a 'all_of_uk.csv' and imported that into MM.

so now i have an overlay of all uk caches.

my next problem is ..

i can export a section of map to my pda using 'PDA/Send Visible Portion to PDA'

but how do i send just the visible caches (waypoints) for that visible portion of map

i seem to be sending all 8000+ to the pda each time at the moment

snip ..

many thanks for this.

19. 22/01/06 - 15/02/06

20. 16/02/06 -

thanks again

ok

my next problem is ..

but how do i send just the visible caches (waypoints) for that visible portion of map

Information

It is not possible, you would have to create a smaller export for the region / area you require.

If you want caches running 5 miles either side of a motorway or road you can use the arc / line / poly filter within GSAK. As cache status can change it is always best to create new exports which suit the area / region you require on or near the date of the trip.

snip ..

many thanks for this.

19. 22/01/06 - 15/02/06

20. 16/02/06 -

thanks again

ok

my next problem is ..

Are you trying to set a new UK record? :anicute::anicute:

Why do you need all 9000+ caches on your PDA....

that would be one hell of a caching trip.

Your GSAK database is being constantly updated with your pq's arriving every day.

So you need to constantly update the data sent to your PDA.

Use the Export Data option in MM to send the waypoints, and yes it will send all the waypoints that you have loaded into MM.

So:-

Start thinking "bite size" and make filters in GSAK that will generate only manageable amounts of caches for export. Load these into MM as required.

I tend to export 40miles around my home coords plus any specifics for a trip elsewhere by using various filters and marking all with user flags then filtering for the user flags.

Generally try to keep the export below say 400-500 or else you will take for ever to send them to your PDA especially if you are using Activesync.

Too many waypoints in MM on the PDA will cause it to hang for ages especially if reading from a slower SD card.

So basically forget trying to overfeed your PDA, it won't like it. :yikes:

Cheers

Dave

snip ..

many thanks for this.

19. 22/01/06 - 15/02/06

20. 16/02/06 -

thanks again

ok

my next problem is ..

Are you trying to set a new UK record? :):)

Why do you need all 9000+ caches on your PDA....

that would be one hell of a caching trip.

I dont.

I was asking HOW I COULD STOP all of the waypoints from being exported from MM.

Surely theres a way to send just the visible ones along with the visible portion of map to the PDA

I dont.

Surely theres a way to send just the visible ones along with the visible portion of map to the PDA

Just import the waypoints you want into MM.

You can use the filters Etc. in GSAK to select ONLY the caches you want then click the export to MM.

I dont.

Just import the waypoints you want into MM.

You can use the filters Etc. in GSAK to select ONLY the caches you want then click the export to MM.

Exactly the point I was trying to get across earlier in a much more long winded way. :)

There is no need to have all the waypoints loaded into MM to start with.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars

I put the whole of my GSAK database (5000 records at the moment) into MM - and regularily clear the overlay and reimport it otherwise there are duplicated or more waypoints (not seen as such until you click on them) and have no problem transferring that overlay to the PDA. I wonder if those who are having problems loading the overlay into the PDA are accumulating those duplicate waypoints and inflating the files that way.

BUT I never export other files from MM to the PDA as it is much easier for me to export filtered waypoints from GSAK as gpx or html files for use in other programs and direct to my TomTom One for navigation.

Edited by John Stead

I put the whole of my GSAK database (5000 records at the moment) into MM - and regularily clear the overlay and reimport it otherwise there are duplicated or more waypoints (not seen as such until you click on them) and have no problem transferring that overlay to the PDA. I wonder if those who are having problems loading the overlay into the PDA are accumulating those duplicate waypoints and inflating the files that way.

BUT I never export other files from MM to the PDA as it is much easier for me to export filtered waypoints from GSAK as gpx or html files for use in other programs and direct to my TomTom One for navigation.

I am not having problems importing a large quantity of waypoints into Pocket navigator.

Somebody asked if you could just select a subset of waypoints to send over from within MM

rather than the whole lot of 9000+

The answer is no just import into MM what you want to export to the PDA.

It is possible to send a shed load of waypoints into Pocket Navigator as you testify however seem a pointless excercise, as when you export the csv file from GSAK you need to do the export of HTML files at the same time as they reference each other by numbers not names.

So if you leave your overlay as is on the PDA and send a new folder of HTML files to it the wrong cache page is called up when you click on an icon.

So my point is, it is a huge amount of memory to carry a folder with 5000+ or even 9000+ html files.

Not only that but the export would take forever.

I try to filter down to around 400 caches which is a manageable size to keep exportiong on a regular basis.

Each time I export from GSAK I delete the folder of HTML files and the output.csv file from my PC beforehand, I also delete the overlay in MM on the PC, and the folder of HTML files on the PDA and the overlay in Pocket Navigator. So there's no chance of duplicating waypoints.

Cheers

Dave