To Poo, Or Not To Poo!?

PooMan

Mickey D's and Taco Bell are far from most caches up here - maybe one every 15-50 miles if you are lucky. Forget about White Castle entirely. You'll only see filling stations about every ten miles in some areas, too. Bring the biodegradable wet-naps if you're caching in God's Country. It's less embarrassing to crap in the woods than crap in your pants.

This is one of my all-time favorite posts!

I'm also terribly fond of Team LaLonde's "The Crap That Changed My Life" story. Classic.

Thanks to McPhan for bumping this thread... it cracks me up!

Edited by ...The Girl

The proper way to rid your body of human scat is to make sure you are far away (I have heard anywhere from 50 to 200 feet~the latter the better) from any water source or potential water source. There dig a hole about 6 to 8 inches deep. Do your business, wipe with a natural wipe as long as it isn't poisonous :sunsure: , stir it up (to help in the decomposition process), then cover back up with the dirt. If you happen to use actual toilet paper, you must take it back with you. Do you bury, burn or leave it in the woods.

If we, as geocachers, don't take care of our natuarl surroundings, they wont be around or be available to the public to hide caches in. This, of course, includes staying on the trails when available and don't cut across switchbacks (which will erode the earth).

Please, please, please I beg you for my grandchildren's sake (no, they wont even be around until about 10-20 years from now) take care of our land and treat it with respect!!!

Woodstock.... unfortunately thats a rediculous attitude... i've never seen a bear or Moose dig a hole... and i sure as heck ain't going to either.... Having said that i do agree with the bit about staying away from the watersource and i always go well off any trail so as to ensure that noone has to see my "Scat".

The only time i would agree with your methodology is if you are setting up a base camp and will be on site with multiple persons for an extended period of time... and then i agree wholeheartedly about the hole diggin...I've spend many years in the woods, I've been trained by the army for field ops and this is useless information for someone who's going for a casual walk in the woods and needs to make a quick "Scat" deposit.

I nearly had to do an emergency scat drop yesterday. We were in the woods and just far enough away from civilization that I knew that if I really had to, I would have to. Doesn't help that I have IBS and when I gotta go, I gotta go.

I'm not adverse to using the woods either. I am adverse to being stung by flora or fauna while doing so. I need to add wet naps to my kids just to help out for next trip. At least that time we were 20 minutes by foot from the nearest bathroom, but we might not always be. And when that happens, not good for me.

One of the other times I was stuck in an urban setting and the bathrooms were locked (!) in a public park and my gf was laughing at me because not only did I have to go, I was pregnant and HAD to go. It was still another hour before we got to a public washroom after I had found a nice depression in between two trees to water the ground.

One finds a stone wall, one measures ones back side and find stone of slightly narrower dimentions, one removes said stone releaves self and replaces stone. This will be an inportant sorce of knowledge of 21st century geo freaks to future researchers!

I was wondering why the wall on my property stayed together so well during this last year's storm.