To Poo, Or Not To Poo!?

PooMan

haha it was a bit embarassing, but halarious and i had to post this. This was in PA and i figured since i was laughing like crazy, you guys could too. I was looking all over for this cache, while at the same time trying to hold in an action which is what my Geo Name is. Anyway.....was leaning against a tree after a frusterating few 25 mins of looking for the cache. I went way off the trail to be sure nobody saw me. Sure enough, i squat down almost right on top of the cache. Here are the logs, read mine, PooMan first, and the 2 above it after.

June 6, 2004 by Hans&Gret (13 found)

Found this one on the second try. I think Gret stepped in Pooman's poo! Took the Blue Hippo, and left a Terminator 2 keychain.

[view this log on a separate page]

June 4, 2004 by caboron (41 found)

Wow, what a walk!! I walked from my hotel since I had all day there and it took me two and a half hours to get there. Once I got there, I had no problem finding it (Container was hidden well). I guess I didn't know the back-way in there, so I had to do a little rock climbing to get to the top. Nice falls! I took the "Alan Iverson" TB and the "Romulan Warbug" TB along with a DVD-RW CD. I left a kids kazoo and 6 marbles.

[view this log on a separate page]

June 2, 2004 by PooMan (111 found)

Looked all over and coordinates were way off. they were all over the place. just happened to stumble by the box while looking for a tree to fertalize. It was a quick hike and the falls were pretty cool. Too bad there was all the spray paint. The third set of coordinates were the closest. but it was about 50-60 feet from where the coordinates were. Left allen iverson travel bug. thanks

PooMan.

The coordinates i saved when i was standing next to the cache were

Okay, that was kinda disgusing, and the whole topic is a bit weird. I'm just leaving this for the people who can't control their bladders, and are too uncomfortable wearing a diaper lol. I was at the local army surplus store and seen this, it was a tiolet seat, with four legs that attach to the bottom (stands up like a stool), and you attach a kitchen garbage bag to the bottom of the seat, or any kind of bag I guess, depending on what you have to put in it. The tiolet seat and legs, and bags would probably fit inside a backpack. Women would probably appreciate this also. Not much in the way of privacy, but better then nothing. Also better way to clean up. Theres enough scat from the woodland creatures that we have to worry about.

Well..bears and critters may do it on a regular basis..but I try my darndest to run to the nearest loo. Hubby on the other hand has an unofficial motto..."Have tree...will pee". Luckily, our agreement states that he HAS to wait until I find the cache before he can relieve himself. It would be a real bummer to inadvertantly wee on the hide. LOL

McDonalds are everywhere just for these 'emergencies"

I thought McDonalds was the cause of these 'emergencies'

No, that is Taco Bell and White Castle!

Mickey D's and Taco Bell are far from most caches up here - maybe one every 15-50 miles if you are lucky. Forget about White Castle entirely. You'll only see filling stations about every ten miles in some areas, too. Bring the biodegradable wet-naps if you're caching in God's Country. It's less embarrassing to crap in the woods than crap in your pants.

I am shocked :ph34r: that no one has informed the forum as to how to properly relieve oneself while in the woods. I'm talking about the poo not the pee form.

As you do not want to see anyone's scat (for a better word) we don't want to see yours either. (1) It is just disgusting and (2) It is very unsanitary. ;)

The proper way to rid your body of human scat is to make sure you are far away (I have heard anywhere from 50 to 200 feet~the latter the better) from any water source or potential water source. There dig a hole about 6 to 8 inches deep. Do your business, wipe with a natural wipe as long as it isn't poisonous :P , stir it up (to help in the decomposition process), then cover back up with the dirt. If you happen to use actual toilet paper, you must take it back with you. Do you bury, burn or leave it in the woods.

If we, as geocachers, don't take care of our natuarl surroundings, they wont be around or be available to the public to hide caches in. This, of course, includes staying on the trails when available and don't cut across switchbacks (which will erode the earth).

Please, please, please I beg you for my grandchildren's sake (no, they wont even be around until about 10-20 years from now) take care of our land and treat it with respect!!!

Edited by geowoodstock

All this reminds me of my early days as a camp counselor leading backpacking trips from an upscale boys camp in the Adirondacks during the late 60s early70s. The kids were mostly suburbanites from NYC, Long Island and North Jersey. One of their proudist and happiest moments was their first successful poo in the woods.... For many of them it was on day three which may have been a contributing factor :unsure:

I am shocked :blink: that no one has informed the forum as to how to properly relieve oneself while in the woods. I'm talking about the poo not the pee form.

If we, as geocachers, don't take care of our natuarl surroundings, they wont be around or be available to the public to hide caches in. This, of course, includes staying on the trails when available and don't cut across switchbacks (which will erode the earth).

Please, please, please I beg you for my grandchildren's sake (no, they wont even be around until about 10-20 years from now) take care of our land and treat it with respect!!!

yeah, because the trillions of animals pooing on the earth every day don't do any harm.

when you gotta go...

carry TP in your pack. You never know - and yes, do bury it, at least a little.

Once in the pleasant confines of the great outdoors, I answered a call beside a friendly boulder, and sought my relief. Quite pleasant actually; that was until later when I found I relived the boulder of a wood tick that found found its way into my jeans and onto my leg.

Just remember, you can seek solitutde, but you never are truly alone.

Kathleen Meyer’s International Bestseller How to s*** in the Woods is about the best source of information on this topic. Should be required reading for all outdoors people, especially novice ones. Chapters 3 and 9 are most informative. That said in the north or far north a lot of outdoors people just pick a small private spot and go covering it up if possible. Most always carry a few sheets of folded sturdy blue shop towels which have a number of uses including being used as TP.

Once in the pleasant confines of the great outdoors, I answered a call beside a friendly boulder, and sought my relief. Quite pleasant actually; that was until later when I found I relived the boulder of a wood tick that found found its way into my jeans and onto my leg.

Just remember, you can seek solitutde, but you never are truly alone.

If your leg is the worst place you've found a tick, you have nothing to complain about! Just wait till you have to approach your roommate with a flashlight, pair of tweezers, cotton ball, hydrogen peroxide, and a sheepish look on your face asking for a favor. :unsure::laughing:

I think I've solved the poo dilemma, at least for myself and Koilady. She suffers from diverticulitis which has a way of manifesting itself NOW not later, not in ten minutes. I've had to go back to the car and head at dangerous speeds for town. Last week I bought a small, older motorhome with all of the facilities of home. As soon as I get a fresh exhaust on it it'll be her station near the deepest woods. Not to mention a good way to go to events and such. Poo on, my love.

Edited by hairball45

I am an Outdoor Recreation Planner with the Bureau of Land Management, which manages more public land in the US than any other agency. I work at a very popular recreational destination in Utah. I gotta say that improper human poo techniques are one of the biggest concerns as far as recreational human impacts to the public lands go.

The pathogens (germs) in human poop are more hazardous to humans than most animal poop pathogens because they are already adapted to living in us. Hepatitis comes to mind. So we really need to keep it from being "discovered" by fellow cachers, and from getting into contact with water (which is so important for all us living things).

There are a couple of very good bag systems that are made for safe and sanitary human waste disposal. They are small, light, cheap (~$2 each) and really work great. Each bag-within-a-bag package has a liquid-absorbing powder in it to "gell" both poop and pee (no spills!). Each package also comes with a generous amount of toilet paper and an antiseptic hand wipe. My wife, two young daughters and I use these regularly when we are away from facilities.

The two systems I've used and recommend are:

Wag Bag

Restop

Check 'em out!

Two books called "How to s*** in the woods" and "Up s*** Creek" have some useful info and some funny stories.The books are by Kathleen Meyer and J. Lindsay a river rafting guide.

I tried to post links here but the names in the URL were censored out. When you gotta go, you gotta go. Seriously, it is something we as cachers should know how to do in a safe and sanitary manner.

Edited by Wallace River

For all of you obsessed with poo out there, here's two of my caches dedicated to you and/or your dog near Traverse City, Michigan:

A Doggone Good Cache: :cry:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-701224a1b058

Walking Spot on the Tart Trail (read this one from first log to last to get a few laughts0: :cry:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5c-a05808a92e28

this is the saddest forum ive ever read YOU JUST GO!!! and dont do it in public youll get fined for public urination :cry: also when my neighbor was teaching a guy too fly it hit him so they had nothing but an empty pop can what was sad is that there was a bit of turbulence. he started to go and said 4 words "dont hit any bumps" :cry:

How could I not share this story? (The Crap That Changed My Life)

A few of years ago, prior to geocaching, I was driving back downstate after looking for a house to rent in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. My father had given me a package of smoked fish to snack on as I drove home. The fish was too rich for my digestive system and I ultimately resorted to pulling over at about 4 AM to avoid soiling myself. As luck would have it, I parked next to one of the many Lake Michigan beaches. I knew they had many large rocks on these beaches that were perfect to sit on. I followed the sound of the waves in the moonless night and found the first rock I could. I faced the road (north) to make sure nobody bothered with my car. Just as I got my pants down, the northern lights sprang up above the trees. It was at that very moment I knew I was destined to move to the U.P.

Six weeks later we returned with a U-Haul and all of our belongings.

Omg! You guys are all adults and I am only 13. Gosh, watever your sense of humor is, it is sure not good for the forums. At least in my opinion. :ph34r:

Yeah it's amazing what "ADULTS" have to talk about!! :huh::ph34r::huh:

Are you sure you have to talk about it. I mean that doing that nasty topic is funnier than this,(although more embarassing and more nasty than this) I guess thats why they say doing that nasty! :D

Slightly OT however we have the wombat in Australia. It is famous for producing square poo - but it doesn't end there. To mark it's territory it deposits these on rocks, fallen branches etc.

Always amazing to see the trouble they go to to balance their cubes.

You can go back to human waste now, sorry for the intrusion.