Gps

Hey, I'm just a newbie too. But it would seem that a second had GPSr is like a second hand car. You can get a deal. You can get a dud. Your looking for one that has been taken care of. You must judge for yourself how much wear and tear is acceptable for the price. If you can actually check it out in person, you're way ahead of the game. Check options, features and put it next to your existing one to see how accurate it is. If you can't see it first, ask a lot of questions.

Hi

I have brought and sold a few second hand units via eBay. No complaints so far.

I currently run a Garmin Geko 301 which is a smaller unit than the eTrex but has an electronic compass which I find invaluable. I would think you can get these for a good price.

Regards

Andrew

I bought my eTrex Vista in college 5 years ago... I think it was the first week it was released. I love it. Since it was older I thought about upgrading and shopped around. Never saw anything that fit my needs as perfect as the Vista. Then within one month of deciding to keep my old unit, my 18 mont old bit the toggle button off and the video chip went out. Of course it's out of warranty so for $125. I sent it in to be repaired. But the best part is, Garmin replaced it with a new one. They have just made me a loyal and extremely satisfied customer.

Just ask a LOT of questions before buying.

I bought a used Legend via the forums here, and got burned badly.

Is the owner a smoker (if this matters to you)? The unit I bought reeked of cig smoke...gross.

Are there ANY issues with the unit? Are there scratches on the case or screen? Is the LCD display clear and unblemished?

Does it come with all the accessories that originally came with the unit (cables, etc)?

An informed buyer is a happy buyer :blink:

Ed

TB&TB

I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of ebay with no issues. Look for a seller with a good history and rating and you should be fine. Make sure that what you will receive is well documented. Research before you buy so that you understand what should be included. Ebay also has a feature where you can ask questions to the buyer without committing to a purchase. That said... there isn't much recourse if you are dissatisfied after the purchase unless the seller is willing to compensate you.

I've been caching with a GPSMap60. I haven't used the mapping and routing features for caching yet. Maybe that would be a benefit when you're caching in an area that you aren't at all familiar with. So a non-mapping gps like the GPS60 or similar should be great for 99% of all caches you would look for. Good quality sattelite reception, including the ability to use an external antenna, is the biggest thing I've found to be important.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of ebay with no issues. Look for a seller with a good history and rating and you should be fine. Make sure that what you will receive is well documented. Research before you buy so that you understand what should be included. Ebay also has a feature where you can ask questions to the buyer without committing to a purchase. That said... there isn't much recourse if you are dissatisfied after the purchase unless the seller is willing to compensate you. ...

Actually, there is recourse available to you.

I realize that many people don't care for Paypal, but I always use it for my ebay purchases. (In fact, if a seller doesn't accept Paypal, I sometimes don't buy from him.) If I receive an item and it's not as described, I try to work it out with the seller. If that doesn't work. I file a claim through PayPal. It takes a few weeks, but I get my payment back.

You could also file a chargeback with your credit card company, if you paid that way.

If the item greatly misrepresented (like you found yourself buying just the item's box), I would also file a complaint with ebay. They'll ban the seller.

Edited by sbell111

I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of ebay with no issues. Look for a seller with a good history and rating and you should be fine. Make sure that what you will receive is well documented. Research before you buy so that you understand what should be included. Ebay also has a feature where you can ask questions to the buyer without committing to a purchase. That said... there isn't much recourse if you are dissatisfied after the purchase unless the seller is willing to compensate you. ...

Actually, there is recourse available to you.

I realize that many people don't care for Paypal, but I always use it for my ebay purchases. (In fact, if a seller doesn't accept Paypal, I sometimes don't buy from him.) If I receive an item and it's not as described, I try to work it out with the seller. If that doesn't work. I file a claim through PayPal. It takes a few weeks, but I get my payment back.

You could also file a chargeback with your credit card company, if you paid that way.

If the item greatly misrepresented (like you found yourself buying just the item's box), I would also file a complaint with ebay. They'll ban the seller.

Befre ou buy any GPS in e-bay, if the gps is still in stock new, check the lowest price for a new one before you start bidding on a used gps on e-bay Then figure on spending 50% of the price for a new gps. A used GPS is a used GPS ot matter how much some says "like new conditin" "Mint condition" "Hardly used" they are still used and do not include a warranty. I have watch several auctions on e-bay and I am always amazed at home much someone will spend in a Used GPS Place one bid and then forget about it.

Hey, I'm just a newbie too. But it would seem that a second had GPSr is like a second hand car. You can get a deal. You can get a dud. Your looking for one that has been taken care of. You must judge for yourself how much wear and tear is acceptable for the price. If you can actually check it out in person, you're way ahead of the game. Check options, features and put it next to your existing one to see how accurate it is. If you can't see it first, ask a lot of questions.

I don't think you can compare a mechanical piece of machinery to solid state electronics.

Cars wear out slowly over time. They are a mess of moving parts that all wear out at different rates and quit working basically at random and need to be replaced. You could have no problems for two years and then have 3 expensive repairs to do within a month.

GPSRs are solid state electronics that don't wear out. If you flip the switch and it turns on, it's as good as it ever was or will be. If it wasn't dropped or a rock cracking the screen, chances are it'll work fine for years to come.

Over all, I would say buying a second hand gps is a great way to save coin.

Then again, I am the kind of guy who drives a truck worth about a month of my pay, your milage may vary.

I certainly agree with JohnnyVegas to be careful of overpaying for a used GPSr. I've seen some auctions for these go too high (and profited nicely because of it once). Really, the only downside would be that used units come with no warranty. That being said, I've bought around a dozen Garmin GPSrs on ebay (a couple for myself, the rest for gifts). Every one is still a great unit.

The problem I ran into was that 30 day limit on E-bay. the seller took 20 days to send it to me, then when I realized how much he had mis-represented it and sent it back to him. He stalled for another week promising to send my refund, and by the time all was said and done I am out $94.