Puzzle Cache Creation Question

IndyTechNerd

So, this may not be the correct forum for it, but since the hoosier geocache community would be most likely the people hunting it, I'm asking ya'll.

What are your thoughts on using a separate cache as part of the puzzle? Here are the specifics, hypothetically, as I have only this tidbit of an idea. The cacher must find cache XYZ and read my log entry to glean some information as part of the puzzle for my mystery cache, ABC. The issues I see with this are a) getting the cache owner's permission, and B) what happens when that cache owner replaces the log or the log/cache gets trashed. Some may see it as bad, but it could also be seen as a way to pick up another find.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

If you want to tell me I'm insane, go right ahead. My wife does that frequently, so I'm used to it.

I will only add that entries in a log book don't age well. Things seem to happen to log books. I don't see anything conceptually wrong with it though. I have found several puzzles where I had to get coordinates from other caches and some caches have a bonus cache coordinate in them somewhere. The only thing different here is that you would be using someone elses cache.

Get permission from the owner though.

joe

I have one that involves visiting a number of other caches to retrieve clues. It does work best if the clue is more or less permanently fixed to the container. Of course, you know the container will immediately go missing! One of mine did! Some of the caches are mine, some aren't. I got permission from the other hiders to use their caches, and in one case, was asked if I would use their cache!

I know of one cache in Columbus Ohio where you have to watch a movie for the clues to the cache. A copy of the movie is a TB! And Netflix doesn't have it, I checked.

About four years ago there was a cache here in Fort Wayne where you had to look for brass tags attached to phone poles. The tags had the name of a cache on it, all out of state. You had to search for that cache and find the note in the logs online. He had permission from the cache owners. His notes were progressive skip space number puzzles. The name of the cache where the notes were placed contained a number. That number was the amount of spaces you skipped. They gave you the coords for the next tag on a pole. There were about 3 stages before you got the final coords. It was a lot of fun.

Yo, indytechnerd! Sounds like fun!

It seems you did a cache in Beech Grove recently that had some numbers on the container. And you're welcome to contact me and use any of mine, perhaps a number or code painted inside the box? or that is stamped/pressed outside on the container (such as the caliber of ammo the box was originally used for)?

Plainfield park challenge isn't what I was thinking, it's similar, but not the same. Torry has the idea of it, though. The puzzle would involve going to various caches that I've found, like Southside Times, and reading my log entry there or retrieving a number from the cache, maybe some number on the cache container or something. If the cache refers to my log, there would be something like H=The square root of 64 written next to my name. Thus, H=8. Somewhere on the cache page would be the standard ABº CD.EFG 0HIº JK.LMN. As you hit the 10 caches listed, you would retrieve the numbers needed for the final cache, that part has been done before.

The best way to describe this would be a combination of a multi and all of the "Tribute" caches around here. I haven't really thought any more on it than that, though.

Anything involving the actual logbook would be chancy as there is always the possibility of logs getting soaked.

Anything involving on-line posts defeats the idea of visiting caches, unless your goal was just to have people visit your logs, which is a possibility but would not get anyone out of their seats.

You may want to go with a formula that involves only the last three digits of the co-ords (the ones behind the decimal point) as most folks can figure out the first ones.

I was just musing about how CITO containers would be great as most cachers know that it's not a trade item, and they are reasonably durable. Plus, it would encourage CITO!

The idea behind your normal CITO container is that you take it and the bag inside with you. You use the bag to pick up trash and then refill the CITO container at home and take the container/bag with you to your next cache to drop off there. So in that aspect it is a 'travel bug' type of item and thus will move from cache to cache.

Now the idea of a small not-to-be-moved container within the cache is a good one. I've thought of using a magnetic sticker. Good for those ammo-can type of containers.

Now the idea of a small not-to-be-moved container within the cache is a good one. I've thought of using a magnetic sticker. Good for those ammo-can type of containers.

That's a good one, and easy too, since you can get those magnets that you stick on the back of business cards. I'm pretty sure an office supply store has em, and you can print business cards at home so they can say whatever.

The idea behind your normal CITO container is that you take it and the bag inside with you. You use the bag to pick up trash and then refill the CITO container at home and take the container/bag with you to your next cache to drop off there. So in that aspect it is a 'travel bug' type of item and thus will move from cache to cache.

In the words of the great philosopher Wayne Campbell: "Wow! I did not know that!" :ph34r:

That's a good one, and easy too, since you can get those magnets that you stick on the back of business cards. I'm pretty sure an office supply store has em, and you can print business cards at home so they can say whatever.

Actually, you can get magnetic printer paper that you can print on directly, then cut to size. We did this with our "Remembering Maggie" cache. In the inside lid is a picture of maggie printed on magnetic stock and cut out. You could print anything you wanted up to 8.5 X 11 and then trim it to size.

joe