Magellan Meridian Gold

dingo0088

I have been using a Gold now for about a year and am quite happy with it. I bought it to use when my daughter adopted my sport trak pro. It does everything I need it to, and it does get a good signal even under heavy tree cover. I am not a power user like some other cachers, I try to keep my hunts simple and as low tech as possible to avoid technological headaches.

We have been using the MeriGold since we started caching. All Gpsr's do the same thing its just the different bells and whistles that set them apart. I use an SD card in it and use Gsak to load it with different files of caches for the areas I am going to. That way I can hold thousands of waypoints then load the area I am in. Hope this helps you out some. If you have specific questions let me know.

It's HUGE, BULKY and does The SLINGSHOT pretty well. It has gotten me to 251 cache locations in a little over a year. I simply love my Meridian Gold GPSr. And did I tell you that it Auto Routes too? With a 512mb SD card, 2500mha rechargable batteries that just keep going and going and going, two level backlight, neoprene carry case, auto ciggy adapter, serial cable for the old laptop. GSAK, Palm m500, Cachemate, MapSend DirectRoute and the '98 Buick Cache Mobile w/the clear ceramic electromotive satellite recieving port...we be bad!! :D:P:D;):D

Edited by Team Cotati

I bought one and tried it. I thought it was a good unit but for my uses which are mainly for bicycling and geocaching 2nd, it lacked the features I wanted mainly in statistical data.

But if I were to buy a GPSr just for geocaching, I would probably choose the MeriGold for the price over the Garmin family.

I wish Magellan instead of discontining them and only producing the Explorist, would have updated the MeriGold's and MeriPlat's with more statistics and perhaps a higher resolution screen. I agree that the SD card and how you can use it to store different geocaching waypoints and such is a strong point.

MeriGold uses the 9 pin serial port.

Edited by gpsblake

They've already removed the Meridian Platnium and a few other Meridians like the Green and Yellow off their website.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/

They made a huge deal with Walmart to get rid of most of the remaining Meridian Gold's. I would think it only affect them putting out any firmware updates or support for them in a year or two.

Shame though, a lot of geocachers love their Meridians.