Great Canadian Tb Race

Utsman

The Great Canadian TB race is 26 days away and there still time to send your entry. The prize pool is better with the help of GPS Central donating $250 in gift certificates and there is some geocaching loot as well. If you haven't already check out our site http://www.geocities.com/gctbrace06/
I have sent you a message last week, but my Dale the Mounty racer #6 is yet to appear on your Racer list.

Thank you,

The Great Canadian TB race is 26 days away and there still time to send your entry. The prize pool is better with the help of GPS Central donating $250 in gift certificates and there is some geocaching loot as well. If you haven't already check out our site http://www.geocities.com/gctbrace06/
I have sent you my Dale the Mounty Racer #6 two weeks ago,

but ut is yet to appear on your Racer list.

I am starting to get worried,

as the race is scheduled to start this Sunday.

Thank you,

We had the same reaction about the multi-cache placements. Especially when some logs have noted it was difficult to find. But, with the number of TB's in each cache, it could take a while for some to get moving from either. So, I guess we'll all just have to hope for the best and cross our fingers that, with better weather coming, cachers will start getting out, visit these two sites and really get this race going. I'm just hoping Utsman finds time soon to update the racer page, or post a note here, so we'll feel more like this adventure has really started.

Edited by Deirdre's Explorers

After reading this thread the other day, then glancing at the race page, I noticed the new rule saying that racers cannot move the bugs, reminding me of my frustration when my own TB got "stuck" in nearly impossible caches for long periods, during last year's race. So, I decided to make the 300km round trip and rescue all the racers. My original plan was to run around the Barrie area and drop them off one at a time. Since I left late, then spent an awful lot of time on one stage of the multi, plus I had an evening commitment that I had to be back for, I wasn't able to redistribute them today. I will get them out as quickly as I can and hopefully they can start racing one another. They will all then, at least have Ontario officially logged! :) I hope nobody minds.

So, I decided to make the 300km round trip and rescue all the racers. My original plan was to run around the Barrie area and drop them off one at a time. Since I left late, then spent an awful lot of time on one stage of the multi, plus I had an evening commitment that I had to be back for, I wasn't able to redistribute them today. I will get them out as quickly as I can and hopefully they can start racing one another. They will all then, at least have Ontario officially logged! I hope nobody minds.
This is GREAT! Thanks a Million!

Please make sure they are all in caches that have been visited in about the same delay,

and of about the same difficulty, and of course, of the same type.

Edited by blackjack65

Just to let you all know my methodology. With the exception of the first racer I placed, which happened to have badges attached and I happened to be doing a brand new cache with a badge theme, the racers will be placed randomly in caches.

I have loaded my GPS with relatively quick and easy caches, some of which I have found and some of which I haven't. The TBs are all in my backpack and when I arrive at the cache, I reach in and blindly remove one. If it doesn't fit in the cache (hasn't happened yet), I will reach in and pull out another, until I have one that fits. Most of the caches on my hit-list are regular-sized containers, but some are smaller.

Some of you have expressed concern over the difficulty and or multi vs. traditional. Trust me, I don't want to do any more work than I have to and my whole reason for doing this is that I DON'T want to see any racer stranded. Since you are all over the country, you will just have to trust my judgement, in that any multi I might use will be an easy and/or popular one and that if any have a higher difficulty or terrain rating, my judgement is that it will be picked up very soon.

Most of the TBs will be placed in the Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton area, where we have a high density of cachers and I will be close enough to monitor any that get stalled and re-move them, or have someone else do so. I have also decided to avoid TB Hotels, since that might be an unfair advantage, or more likely, an unfair disadvantage to any bug dropped there. What happens to them after I place them in their first Ontario cache, is beyond me.

I will try to get them all re-placed as soon as I possibly can. Good luck to all of you. I had a great time watching my guy, "Feet, Don't Fail Me Now!", last year and he is still out there. :anibad:

All Travel Bug Racers have now been placed in separate caches (as of 9:00am this morning), so everyone can now claim Ontario as done! :P I raced around last night, 'til 4:30am, but I was stymied on a couple where people were just hanging around the cache (what are these people doing at that time of night? :lol: ), so I had to hide the final two this morning. Good luck to you all!

All Travel Bug Racers have now been placed in separate caches (as of 9:00am this morning),.. I raced around last night, 'til 4:30am, but I was stymied on a couple where people were just hanging around the cache...
Thanks again for all your efforts!

This is now a fair race, as they are all in separate and similar caches,

and even those that have been picked up already

have not been dropped outside of Ontario yet.

Now that all the bugs are out and about ... did anybody get a list of which bugs were entered?

AB, did you happen to record/count the number of entries that you found and got moving for us?

Utsman, are you lurking and can fill us in on the details?

I have the following recorded as participating, but I know it isn't a complete list:

Travel Bug Dog Tag Air Moose

Travel Bug Dog Tag CGDS

Travel Bug Dog Tag Dragin' Wagon

Travel Bug Dog Tag Earle the Bear

Travel Bug Dog Tag FIND IT!

Travel Bug Dog Tag Ivy the Penguin

Travel Bug Dog Tag JF and C Mini

Travel Bug Dog Tag Jilly Beans

Travel Bug Dog Tag Junglehair's Stingray

Travel Bug Dog Tag Little Yellow Racer

Travel Bug Dog Tag Pachyderm Migration

Travel Bug Dog Tag RC Crash Test Pilot

Travel Bug Dog Tag Tear Around

Travel Bug Dog Tag The Stuntman's Lucky 7

Travel Bug Dog Tag VW Bug

Travel Bug Dog Tag JWID Geocoin #250

Thanks.

JWID

Air Moose by sole seeker

Canadian Eh? by 3T's&aG

CGDS by Old Sailor

Dale the Mounty Racer #6 by blackjack65

Dragin' Wagon by ve3tks

Earle the Bear by Diner

FIND IT! by ertyu

GCTBR 2006 Volunteer Travel Bug Racer by Cache-tech

Ivy the Penguin by summerland

JF and C Mini by JF&C

Jilly Beans by henj3

Junglehair's Stingray by junglehair

JWID Geocoin #250 by JWID

Little Yellow Racer by Dutch 53 & BB

Lost Duckling Travel Bug by Deirdre's Explorers

Pachyderm Migration by PDOP's

RC Crash Test Pilot by nmrider

Scrabble Bug de Canada by scrabblehounds

Tear Around by MHz

The Stuntman's Lucky 7 by The-Stuntman

VW Bug by Wild About Cache

(Which Way Do We Go removed, as it is not involved in the race, sorry)

Edited by blackjack65

Some of us are still following it, even though the

initiator hasn't given any sign of life since it began.

I wonder what will happen with the prizes.

I like that web page though.

I will create a similar one for this race eventually.

I hope for the racers' sake that history doesn't repeat itself. For the 2003 and 2004 races, it was neat to watch the updates as the TBs progressed across Canada, but the 2004 race ended with a "thud". The amazing thing though, is that I eventually got Long Suffering back at a geocaching event in BC.

Good luck racers, and I hope the organizer surfaces again!

As Utsman's profile lists him as being in the military, perhaps someone should try contacting by phone. Perhaps he has been deployed. The page lists:

Race Coordinator - Stuart MacNeil (Utsman)

Assistant Coordinator - Don Barr (3rd Party)

Canada 411 might help you in trying to get to the bottom of this. If you list either (in Barrie, ON) you have some possibilities. Worth a shot!

JWID Geocoin #250

4 Provinces Visited (Ontario, Quebec, PEI, New Brunswick)

1304.9 miles

20 caches

ve3tks's Draggin' Wagon

1 Province Visited (Ontario) ... then muggled

Thanks.

JWID

Oh yeah ... the 4th province was visited on 10/26/06

JWID