Garmin 60 Csx "improvements"?

Didjerrydo

QUOTE (GOT GPS? @ Feb 3 2006, 09:44 PM)

These POI files are not in the map images, or else my maps would be over written when I load the POI files, but I don't know if they are

The reason Garmin's engineering group gave me for not documenting the user POI interface was that custom POIs go in map memory images.

Here is an image of the 64mb card

The64mbmicroSDmemorycard.jpg

I see that your GPS shows up on Windows Explorer, do you have a separate program that shows this. I can access Windows Explorer or My Computer and my GPS May 76CSx never shows up.

Just wondering how many Garmin 60CSx owners/users have actually went as far as complaining to Garmin via either email or phone concerning:

1. "Wandering" position problem

2. Dorky icons

3. No memory card icon or utility

4. Loss of alarm clock function

5. No lithium battery option

Hopefully, if enough users complain enough, they'll actually fix these issues! :shocked:

Respectfully, the icons are *PERFECT.*

They let you quickly identify what you're looking at without thinking or having to read the text. That's a challenge on a small screen and Garmin has addressed it perfectly. If you've seen the older style icons from a few years ago, they were much more detailed but far more difficult to identify at a glance.

PLEASE don't complain to Garmin about the icons - the last thing we need is those redesigned.

Regarding the memory card icon, what did you have in mind for that? I'd love to have the ability to read text files on the memory card - I'd dump all my cache description pages there so I didn't need a PDA. That would be a HUGE leap for the 60CSx to me.

I've often wished for an alarm on the unit too.

Just wondering how many Garmin 60CSx owners/users have actually went as far as complaining to Garmin via either email or phone concerning:

2. Dorky icons

Hopefully, if enough users complain enough, they'll actually fix these issues! <_<

1. All commercially available GPSr's wander. I don't see this any more or less with my 60csx than I ever did with my MeriGold, Legend or Legend CX.

2. I'm not bothered by the icons, but I'm sure you can hack it and upload your own. I've seen screen shot of 60's with different icon and menu sets, maybe Garmin will eventually support something like skins?

3. Yes, I'd like it if I could address the memory card directly, rather than through Mapsource.

Edit: I just saw the post above addressing this.

4. Didn't know this was a problem.

5. I'd only support lithium cells if it was an option. I personally am much happier with AA cells. Have you batteries die 6 hours from the jeep and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by CheshireFrog

2. Dorky icons

Hopefully, if enough users complain enough, they'll actually fix these issues! <_<

1. All commercially available GPSr's wander. I don't see this any more or less with my 60csx than I ever did with my MeriGold, Legend or Legend CX.

2. I'm not bothered by the icons, but I'm sure you can hack it and upload your own. I've seen screen shot of 60's with different icon and menu sets, maybe Garmin will eventually support something like skins?

3. Yes, I'd like it if I could address the memory card directly, rather than through Mapsource.

Edit: I just saw the post above addressing this.

4. Didn't know this was a problem.

5. I'd only support lithium cells if it was an option. I personally am much happier with AA cells. Have you batteries die 6 hours from the jeep and you'll see what I mean.

I have a 76CSX and I have been using Energizer blue Lithium batteries since I bought the unit 4 months ago, even before they added the Lithium battery option in the set up. I have never had a problem and I love how long the batteries last and the reduced wieght. I carry an extra set the case but I have never had them run low in the field. <_<

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send an email to Garmin Tech Support - techsupp@garmin.com about the inability to export real time plotting information via USB!!! I really don't want to go spend another $50 for serial cables and adapters- when this function should already work just fine! Even if you DO NOT own a 60csx, can you shoot an email? The more emails, the faster they'll resolve it.

Thanks guys!

There's software out there that'll do this for you if you want it. GPSGate (http://franson.com/gpsgate/) for instance.

Half the problem seems to be that a lot of applications expect position data only over serial & not over USB, so you'd need something like GPSGate which can "pretend" to be a serial port offering the position data which it's captured through the USB port.

At least it saves you carrying an extra cable & adapter.