Where To Shop For Gps Units

I've narrowed my choices for a first GPS unit down to just a couple and that brings to mind a few questions. 1. Other than e-bay were are some really good places to shop on-line for GPS units. 2. What other accessories do I need to add to the basic unit at the time of purchase and 3. I notice that on e-bay there are several vendors selling factory refurbished units at very attractive prices. Are these good deals or to be avoided. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Gersteacker

Wal-Mart you can return just about anything besides opened DVDs and computer games you are not satisfied with...

I agree. I bought a new Etrex Legend from Walmart a few weeks ago to replace my well abused old Etrex Legend. The new unit worked fine but then I started to salivate for a Etrex Legend-C and returned the unit after 3 weeks with it working perfectly for a full refund. I did the same with the MagGold from Walmart a few days earlier because it just didn't contain the datafields I use for bicycling.

Like Walmart or hate Walmart, they do have a wonderful return system for goods.

My old Legend unit still works but I have to bang the back of it at times in order to get the display to work properly. My real old Etrex Yellow still works like a charm after 4-5 years of having it.

But my problem has been finding a local retailer that carries the Etrex Legend C under $250. In fact, the only retailer here in Columbia, SC that I can find that even carries the Legend C is Dick's Sporting Goods at $249.99. I can't find the Garmin 60 series no where in stores here. The local Target was totally sold out of GPS units.

I have no debit/credit card with VISA/MasterCard logo so that rules out buying online except for Walmart.com where you can use their shopping card for payment.

So I guess I am buying my Etrex-C from walmart.com at $224 plus shipping.

I would second both the WalMart.com and Amazon.com suggestions. The prices are about equal and the lowest around but the thing to watch is when one or the other has specials on shipping. Many times they will offer free shipping on certain order amounts or things like that. Another thing to keep in mind is if there is a Gander Mountain store in your nieghborhood, they will meet any competitors price if your bring in an ad showing same. Avoids the hassle of mail order. I have some links to specials on my web-site as well. :rolleyes:

Mike

http://www.qsl.net/k9drx

Walmart has a nice return policy if they have the GPS you want. Their prices are pretty good also. They did not have the GPS unit I wanted to I ended up buying mine online from Compuplus.com. I bought an Explorist 500 for $254 plus it has a $50 rebate until Feb 18th. Only problem was their shipping was like $17. It arrived fast without any problems. I was nervous to order from them because in the past they have had some problems. If you find what you like search online for it to find the best price. Once you have the best online price check with some local places and see if they will match the price. You might be surprise that a lot of places will match the price. If not then buy it online. There is a factory warranty on all units.

Kyle

Wal-Mart you can return just about anything besides opened DVDs and computer games you are not satisfied with...

I agree. I bought a new Etrex Legend from Walmart a few weeks ago to replace my well abused old Etrex Legend. The new unit worked fine but then I started to salivate for a Etrex Legend-C and returned the unit after 3 weeks with it working perfectly for a full refund. I did the same with the MagGold from Walmart a few days earlier because it just didn't contain the datafields I use for bicycling.

Like Walmart or hate Walmart, they do have a wonderful return system for goods.

My old Legend unit still works but I have to bang the back of it at times in order to get the display to work properly. My real old Etrex Yellow still works like a charm after 4-5 years of having it.

But my problem has been finding a local retailer that carries the Etrex Legend C under $250. In fact, the only retailer here in Columbia, SC that I can find that even carries the Legend C is Dick's Sporting Goods at $249.99. I can't find the Garmin 60 series no where in stores here. The local Target was totally sold out of GPS units.

I have no debit/credit card with VISA/MasterCard logo so that rules out buying online except for Walmart.com where you can use their shopping card for payment.

So I guess I am buying my Etrex-C from walmart.com at $224 plus shipping.

Not sure if it'll help anyone, but Bass Pro Shops has many GPSr's in store. If you can't get to the store, here is the link for legend C Only $220 here.

Also I was in the store near me recently and the guy said they were actually putting the legend c on sale for $199. So you might be able to call or emaile them and get it for that price, they don't seem to keep up that well with their website.

Also gpsnow.com seems to have pretty good deals. I just got a legend Cx there for $245.

I have gotten two units from ebay both NIB with great prices. Both with warranties (in fact is being fixed as I write this) I also checked the online pricecheckers such as pricegrabber.com, dealtime.com and bizrate.com etc to get a feel for the prices. These sites also have ads for "sponsered" sites and following those links I also found some great places and not so great places to buy. Good luck!

I've purchased two GPS units, along with lots of accessories, from:

GetFeetWet

Their prices have consistently been the lowest I could find online. Also, they have absolutely the best customer support I've ever seen in an online company (and I've bought lots of stuff online from lots of different companies). GetFeetWet is "heads-and-shoulders" above anyone else I've dealt with. Another feature they offer is refurbished units. There's been discussions about "new" vs "refurbished" and the general consensus is that the refurbished units are statistically, better risks than new units for various reasons. Also, GetFeetWet offers a TWO-YEAR WARRANTY on their refurbished units (compared to the regular 1-year manufacturers warranty).

I haven't heard of a single person who has purchased from GetFeetWet who has experienced any problems with their customer service and support. I highly recommend them.

Edited by Guitar4Him
Other than e-bay were are some really good places to shop on-line for GPS units.

How many GPSr have you bought on e-bay at a good price. If you are spending more the 50% of the price for the same GPS new, you are not gettin a good price.

And if it is a used GPS you are not getting a warranty from the manufature.

If you buy it with a Visa card, most Visa contracts double the warranty on new products, up to 3 years. A friend got a new computer from Visa 9 months after the manufacturers warranty expired.

Reeds Sporting Goods in Walker MN (reedssports.com) is a huge provider of GPS units for marine, avaiation and handhelds. Look at their site but don't pay attention to the prices. Carries Magellan, Garman Lowrance etc. They will match or beat any price you find including those less than reliable companies on the WWW that advertize products they don't have and hold you up for weeks, and even months, while they look to get what you ordered. There is a guy named Jeff Arnold at Reed's that does the price match. To survey the lowest prices just type your model into either Pricegrabber.com or Nextag.com. Low prices seemed to come from thenerds.net and computerhq.com. Reeds matched and beat the prices and I was dealing with a real store with real reliable people. I have been looking for a good hand held with good resolution and color screen, topo maps with 20' contour lines, large enough to see with solid antenna connection. The Lowrance Expedition C (color) Plus (topo Map set with SD card and required propritary card reader), $325 including shipping. This product just came out a couple weeks ago but similar products that have been out awhile so no new beta product testing, I hope.

I noticed llbean.com is selling GPS. Don't know what their prices are or how the compare but another option.

I just looked at a few on LLBeans site. The good thing is, if you have an LLBean credit card, you get free shipping and probably have earned some $10 certificates to use toward your purchase. Just an FYI