Forshortened Pictures - Can They Be Corrcted?

Papa-Bear-NYC

Many of us have taken pictures of benchmarks from a very close angle. Sometimes because of a fence or a tree in the way, or something similar.

Here's a picture I took this morning:

abg.jpg

I was standing about 4 feet away and couldn't get directly in front of it due to a fence. Nevertheless, I am happy that the inscription is quite clear and readable. Besides it's the only instance where I have found this particular type of disk.

Does anyone know of any software that will "straighten" this sort of image out to make it look like the shot was taken straight on? I''m sure I'm not the only one who could use something like this.

Thanks

Pb

Microsoft Paint, which is bundled with any Windows system, allows you stretch an image in one direction. That may work for you.
Thanks Kewaneh

I tried Paint and got a fairly reasonable looking image:

abh.thumb.jpg

Not perfect, by OK.

As a note, a more accessible disk of this type is KV0422
And Thanks BuckBrooke

Interesting you would track down that mark. How did you manage to track it down?

Anyway, It's on Staten Island and these marks were used from 1909-1913 by a city-wide survey commisioned by the Board of Estimate and Apportionment. I am using the report published in 1914 as a reference and have been tracking them all down. Only a fraction are in the NGS database. Most marks they used were chiseled crosses and squares with a smattering of copper bolts and very, very few of these disks. Mine is #767, set on Public School 12 on Madison and Jackson Streets in Manhattan. I'm only about half done in Manhattan (so far I've found 56/165) and needless to say Staten Island is quite a ways in the future for my searches.

Here's the diagram from the report for this type of mark:

aaa.thumb.jpg

Thanks all

Pb

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Looking back in the forum logs, it looks like I ran across it in August, last year, while searching through the benchmark galleries. If you do a Geocaching.com benchmark search for NYBE+A which is what these mark names got translated to, you'll find about 30 listed, of which half a dozen are disks.

Edited by BuckBrooke

This was done with CS2 (PhotoShop). Along with the basic transform, an additional diagonal transform was performed to make the image appear to have been shot from the front. I also created a midrange contrast mask and used Focus Magic to bring out the text a bit in the disk and to reduce the contrast on the wall. I saved as a jpg using a mask to offer the most detail for the disk at the expense of wall detail to reduce the overall file size. Anyway, here it is:

Image Removed

Oops... Papa-Bear-NYC was posting (below) just as I realized I had posted the second to final image and was editing my post. In any case here is the original followed by the final version (less than half the size):

Original image edit:

GC_Papa-Bear-NYC_Squashed_BM_Fix.jpg

Final edit:

GC_Papa-Bear-NYC_Squashed_BM_opt2.jpg

BTW, feel free to use either one as you wish....

Edited by ardfarkle

This was done with CS2 (PhotoShop). Along with the basic transform, an additional diagonal transform was performed to make the image appear to have been shot from the front. I also created a midrange contrast mask to bring out the text a bit in the disk and to reduce the contrast on the wall (to reduce saved file size). Anyway, here it is:

GC_Papa-Bear-NYC_Squashed_BM_Fix.jpg

Nice job ardfarkle

With your premission I'd like to save it in my album of benchmarks from this series (of course with attribution).

Pb