Official State Coins

GEO*Trailblazer 1

There has been a big discussion here in Missouri lately.

In your opinion who has the right to say they can mint an OFFICIAL STATE COIN?

Is it a "state coin" if a group,from that state makes a group coin that is living and based in that state?

I ask these questions because I am being asked these questions.

I brought the subject up in several of the state forums here that are the most active and was told they were the "one's to ask".

I got very few replies from them since the beginning of December 2005.

Actually a little longer.

I placed art work and no one seemed interested.

Now that the Missouri Geocoin, ARK-MO-GEOCACHERS coin is coming out real soon some have become very questionable about it.

I just want to make sure we do and have an awesome coin for the geocachers of Missouri and the rest of the World.

Nothing is perfect and we did the best we could to recognize all the facets we could.

And there are a few hidden things within it I want to reveal later.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Anyone!

IMHO, geocaching groups have the right to make their own club coins (which we sometimes, incorrectly refer to state coins). As for the entire state, that is fair game in my book.

An of course I have to ask, how do you define "official"? Certinaly the endorsement of a state geocaching club would not make anything official. That would probably require the approval of the state legislature if you stick to strict definitions.

Just have fun with it (and do not let anyone make you second guess yourself).

Edited by Rupert2

I would say that state's legislature. Anything less is less than "official."

Considering there is no international geocoin sanctioning body who is to say what is official and what isn't?

I guess you could take that further and ask what right does Groundspeak have to claim to run "The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site?" It's the largest, sure, but self proclamation doesn't make it so. There is no international sanctioning body for geocaching to even offer up that title.

So, in other words, if you think you can take the title and hang on to it, who's to say otherwise?

IMNSHO The State Organization is the one to make the State Coin.

If there is only one organization in the state then they win.

IF there are Two State Orgs...They hopefully will cooperate.

If there are a bunch of area orgs but no state org. then I would hope they cooperate.

Truth be told I only want to see one state coin per year and that's going to be expensive enough.

If there are no state orgs. Start one. Once you get the input on the coin you will have the forum you need to start becoming an organization.

Last on my list is Joe Cacher coming a long and making a coin just because they can, but if we do hit this point then that person should have the backing of the state cachers and they should essentially accept them as the "official state coin maker".

I never want to see The Franklin Mint and wanabees, making the State Coins.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I would love to see the folks that put out the current geocaching coin put out a series of official state coins. The design would be very simple. The outline of the state on the front and the geocaching logo and tracking number on the back. I would buy two of these for each state where I have found caches in a heartbeat. I would keep one for my personal collection and release the 2nd in the state where it belongs with a goal that it only travel in that state. By keeping the design simple it would hopefully keep the costs down and allow organizations within each state to release their own version of a state coin if they wish.

I would love to see the folks that put out the current geocaching coin put out a series of official state coins. The design would be very simple. The outline of the state on the front and the geocaching logo and tracking number on the back. I would buy two of these for each state where I have found caches in a heartbeat. I would keep one for my personal collection and release the 2nd in the state where it belongs with a goal that it only travel in that state. By keeping the design simple it would hopefully keep the costs down and allow organizations within each state to release their own version of a state coin if they wish.

Which current geocaching coin?? There are alot of current geocoins out there now, all put out by various individuals, groups, and some coin makers.

Do you not like the existing state coins? or is it that you can't get one because they are collectables? I'm not sure you will find someone willing to invest the cash it would take to produce 50 coins in enough quantity to keep the prices low as you want.

I agree it would be nice if the 'state' coins were always available for purchase, maybe the organizations will keep that in mind for future coins... make a generic org/state coin that is always available and if desired, make annual special coins that are limited quantity.

Design really has very little to do with the coin pricing right now, it is all demand driven.

The real issue is that most current coins are designed with collectability in mind, the moment you decide to have the year put on it, it becomes collectable because it wont be available next year. While that is nice for collectors, it doesn't help with them travelling.

Since there is no goverment regulation of the word "official" as it relates to geocoins and no organization owns the rights to use a state name, anyone who wants to put the time, effort and imagination into making a coin is free to do so. Whether anyone actually gives any weight to the claim of officialness is questionable, since it really has no meaning whatsoever.

Having said that, I would think most individuals would give deference to an organization that is working on a coin for a given state. But then again, its been proven more than once that you can slap the name of a state on a cute hunk of metal, call it a geocoin and peddle it on ebay whether you call it official or not.

We are lucky in Maryland to have one very active and inclusive group. When we decided to produce a coin we discussed it on our local forums long before we posted it here. We tried to make the process as open as possible regarding all aspects of the design and trackability. What we came up with does represent all of Maryland.

It appears some states do not have active groups or are big enough to have several and that does create some conflict.Several coins have been produced by cachers in other states but with strong ties to another. These forums should help to connect people and provide a platform for discussion.

Which current geocaching coin??  There are alot of current geocoins out there now, all put out by various individuals, groups, and some coin makers.

The USA geocoin:

2005v1.jpg

Do you not like the existing state coins?  or is it that you can't get one because they are collectables?  I'm not sure you will find someone willing to invest the cash it would take to produce 50 coins in enough quantity to keep the prices low as you want.

I like the coins I have seen so far. I do agree that some are rare and are getting more and more expensive to acquire.

I have seen the artwork on the proposed Missouri Geocoin. (You can see it at the following link: http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...t=0entry13870 ) The coin is wonderful. My only point it that it does not represent the State Of Missouri however, it represents the Ark-Mo cachers very well!! My opinion is that when it is logged it should not state "Missouri Geocoin" as he intends.

He has the opportunity to call his coin the "Missouri Geocoin" because he was the first to ask for it but it will prevent someone else from being able to make a coin that truly represents the entire state from using "Missouri Geocoin" when logged.

That may sound like a complaint. It is not. He can call his coin anything he wants but he did ask for opinions and this is mine.

All that would have to be done is call the Missouri State coin.

"Missouri State Geocoin",

"Missouri State Geocoin 1"

"Missouri State Geocoin 2"

"Missouri State Geocoin 3"

I liked the idea someone brought up about doing a series and keeping them going.

There was already 1 Missouri coin done previous to this and I have #77.

As I recall there was very little interest then.

It seems like that now that geocoin collecting has become a very popular thing more are wanting to get involved and do something before some one else does.

I think people should be very careful about making coins that "represent" others. Recently there has been a lot of discusion amongst the UK folks about a certain "English" coin which we feel is unpleasant and doesn't relect us at all. It is particularly offensive, since the UK coin group were in the process of designing an English coin when it came out.

Personally, I think GC.com should have restricted state and country coins to organisations, and there should have been one icon per state/country (making it difficult, but possible to collect them all). However, since cash is involved they went for the capitalist option and have enabled anyone and everyone to make coins representing whoever, thus devaluing the achievement of finding the icons while simultaneously ensuring that very few coins actually travel by cache express. Missed opportunity I think.

Just my 2 pennoth...

Bambi.

Edited by Bambi&Thumper

I think they took the easy route... No restriction on them beyond artwork approval (since they do represent gc.com with tracking)

I can see a problem if you start trying to restrict it... which of the (at least) 3 Illinois groups represents the state for doing a state coin? I know they cooperated in it, but what if they each wanted their own to be the 'state' coin?

If you don't like a particular coin for whatever reason... don't buy it. (or buy it all up so no one can get it)

GC has no control over the fact that coins don't travel... it is the fact that they are only minted in small quantities. If you want 'your' coin to actually travel, then make thousands of them, state that it wont be a limited run of 500. Keep remaking them as long as there are buyers. Then they will have limited value as trade/ebay items and more value as trackables.

my .03 (one for yours... and then my .02) :lol:

There has been a big discussion here in Missouri lately.

Is it a "state coin" if a group,from that state makes a group coin that is living and based in that state?

I agree with CR, without a sanctioning body there's not really a way to make an Offical anything. Personally, I would say don't try to make it 'offical', just make it 'a' coin, if you make a nice coin that doesn't cost lots of of money it will sell (actually even if its expensive and looks silly it may sell :lol: ). I think people should make coins for themselves and/or there area (in general), but not states they don't live in, and certainly not for a group without help from that group (since doing that may tick many people off). I don't see a requirement for a state coin to come from the state's org(s), but it would be a good idea whenever applicable.

I think of a "state coin" as coin produced about the state or caching in the state. Again, hopefully from a org is there is one, or at least someone living there.

What I can't decide who was the right to make the coins for micros, mountains, ziplocks, 35mm film tubes, etc etc?? Of course I don't see why a number of these are being made anyway, but someone must be paying for them *shrug*.

I think people should be very careful about making coins that "represent" others. Recently there has been a lot of discusion amongst the UK folks about a certain "English" coin which we feel is unpleasant and doesn't relect us at all. It is particularly offensive, since the UK coin group were in the process of designing an English coin when it came out.

To play devil's advocate, was this coin made to reflect everyone? or a certain group/area/point of view?

If an org makes a coin it will probably spend lots of time collecting ideas and concept art, and eventally either have the whole group or a sub-group (committee) make some final decisions. If a single person makes a coin, then its their idea of what represents the area, or what caching is like in X place. Their view may not be shared by everyone, or even anyone else, but what's wrong with that? If I think all the caches in east Iowa are micros hidden in rock crevices and put that on a coin, does this reflect badly on the area, or me, or neither because its perception? If I try making an offical represents eveyone coin, then yea rail me, was that the intent? :lol:

Personally, I think GC.com should have restricted state and country coins to organisations, and there should have been one icon per state/country (making it difficult, but possible to collect them all).  However, since cash is involved they went for the capitalist option and have enabled anyone and everyone to make coins representing whoever, thus devaluing the achievement of finding the icons while simultaneously ensuring that very few coins actually travel by cache express.  Missed opportunity I think.

I agree with no stops its a bit crazy with the icons and whatnot, but I can see why they would go the easy option. Besides the 'no money turned down' side, they don't have to figure out what a gc.com acceptable org is, or how/when to enforce whatever requirements they may come up with. Possiably turn down some cash, while setting yourself up to have to police numberous websites and people... doesn't sound like a good business decision to me.

I think they took the easy route... No restriction on them beyond artwork approval (since they do represent gc.com with tracking)

I agree - they took the easy route.

I can see a problem if you start trying to restrict it... which of the (at least) 3 Illinois groups represents the state for doing a state coin?  I know they cooperated in it, but what if they each wanted their own to be the 'state' coin?

Of course it would not be easy to say which groups have the "right" to make coins representing a particular state, but at least if they were made by groups, that were recognised in some way by GC.com, there would be less chance of offence.

If you don't like a particular coin for whatever reason... don't buy it.  (or buy it all up so no one can get it)

GC has no control over the fact that coins don't travel... it is the fact that they are only minted in small quantities.  If you want 'your' coin to actually travel, then make thousands of them, state that it wont be a limited run of 500.  Keep remaking them as long as there are buyers.  Then they will have limited value as trade/ebay items and more value as trackables.

Well, this is all true of course, but I feel that if it were only appropriate organisations and there were fewer "icon" coins, then there would be less rush to make each coin and move on to the next one. Thus each would be worth more and (hopefully) people would make more. I might be wrong, but I thought most of the early trackables had large runs and intrest was expressed in advance...

my .03 (one for yours... and then my .02) :lol:

I might be wrong here too, but the exchange rate is approx 2c/1p... I started with 2p (or 4c) so shouldn't that be 0.06? :D:lol::D

Bambi.

I think people should be very careful about making coins that "represent" others. Recently there has been a lot of discusion amongst the UK folks about a certain "English" coin which we feel is unpleasant and doesn't relect us at all. It is particularly offensive, since the UK coin group were in the process of designing an English coin when it came out....

Had ICE known that it would have changed our order. A few members want all coins regardless, however most members are only interested in "official" coins and that would be the ones by the orgs.

Their vote may not make it more official than the other coin, but their intent and willingness to back it up with money does lend weight to what's official.

probably the only way to keep people from being angry is to not do a coin.  ...

I consider myself a cynical person,

but it allows me not to take myself and other's actions so seriously.

Good point that not everybody is going to be happy with geocoins and by some transfer their "official organizers".

I organized, with many other's much appreciated help, a past state's geocoin (that I tongue-in-cheek posted as "official" come to think about it) and will continue to help for future geocoins, not for such silly physical semantics but more for the experiences it helps foster with people.

Kind of why I continue to cache...not for the swag but for the incredible experiences it has and continues to bring to me.

(A penny is all my thoughts seem to be worth lately. :lol:)

Don't like either team in the SuperBowl (OMG I said it, you reckon I'll have to pay for that??!?)

Anyway, good luck to both teams!

Now back to Geocoins...

Virginia... has so many different sections. I think there are at least 4 or 5 different Yahoo Groups!!! We're bouncing around ideas with great enthusiasm this week, so we shall see what happens.

AND NO there is no design ready to show yet.

My opinion, in order:

A statewide organization.

A group of local organizations (this is what we have done here in Illinois).

A single local organization if other organization either don't want to participate or don't exist.

An individual (only if marketed as 'Joe Cachers <insert state> coin').

Edit: typo.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
If you have the money you can make any type of coin you desire.

Do what you want and make what you want. ...

So you don't mind if I do the next Cav Scout Coin?

I usually dont acknowledge anything you say but in this case I will. Go ahead and save me some money and do that for me ...

You can do what ever you want :o;):o:mad:

I haven't read all of this thread, actually just the topic starters post.

My though is there is NO OFFICIAL state geocoin. Until the government of the state declares that "geocoin X is the state geocoin", there is no such thing. In the truest meaning of the term, the state has to officially recognize and declare the coin an official symbol of the state.

And honestly, guess what. I REALLY don't think any state is going to appoint an Official Geocoin for their state. I just don't see it happenening. I could be wrong, but I doubt it this time.

The other side of the problem is this. How many "Xxxx State Geocachers" organisations are there? I live in Arizona, so what's to stop me and my geocaching friends from starting the 'Arizona Geocaching Association'? Or if that's taken, how about the 'Arizona Geocaching Group', or blah blah blah? Point is, there's no one OFFICIAL group for each state, so there is no one "higher power" that has the right to say "this is the official geocoin for state Xxxx".

Just my 2 geocoins worth. Take it with salt if needed.

edit for spelling (and I probably still missed some).

Edited by Haughton's Hunters