Geocaching And Environmentalism

clearpath

This topic has been kicked around before in various forms. However, it occurred to me that geocachers may have more to say about their love of nature and the environment. Without getting too political (I know thats a lot to ask) describe how geocaching has influenced environmentalism. Are we the new stewards of the scared and holy environmental trust supporting programs like CITO and Earth Day? Or, are we simply a group of like minded individuals that enjoy playing a game that largely exists in the great outdoors? Some of our actions have been critized by the environmental lobby as being destructive and wanton. Are we simply a more moderate form of environmentalism? It appears that many geocachers have a very real love of nature, being outdoors and experiencing activities that involve 'long walks in the woods'. Some of us have already found our way into the court system to defend the game and our right to enjoy nature as we see fit. Are we part of a "New Environmentalist" movement?

I can only speak for myself. I'm a geocacher and a conservationist. I love the outdoors and financially support state-level conservation through the purchase of several thousand dollars worth of licenses, stamps, equipment and fees for hunting and fishing.

I do not group myself as an "environmentalist", as many in that camp are only conservation-minded for their own narrow views of conservation... e.g., they are anti-hunting. But, yes, I am concerned with clean air, water, and wide open free spaces for everybody to use, hunters and non hunters alike.

I consider myself to be an environmentalist. I've actively worked to save areas from development and I've contributed financially to envirnonmental causes. It breaks my heart every time I'm out hiking or geocaching an see that orange flagging tape and painted stakes in the ground because I know that it means another strip mall or McMansion development is on the way. Clean air, water and open spaces are important to me.

That being said, I'm not an extremist, "tree hugger" type. I'm very much against groups like ELF and Earth First. Greenpeace and the Sierra Club don't get a dime from me because I see them as more about advancing a socialst agenda, rather than an environmental one.

I don't believe geocaching is destructive at all. I don't deny that a handful of caches out there may be causing some temporary damage, but they are the exception. Geocaching overall is beneficial to the environment. It brings many people out and introduces them to areas they might not have otherwise discovered. It sometimes sparks an interest in the environment and creates new advocates for these places.

Edited by briansnat

I consider myself an environmentally friendly individual, but I think the term "environmentalist" is often viewed in an extreme, negative context, akin to "tree hugger". I enjoy the outdoors, and I certainly don't like seeing the outdoors ruined with pollution and litter. I also realize that plants and trees do grow back if they're damaged, and nature tends to heal itself over time. So you won't find me chaining myself to an old oak tree in order to stop the bulldozers, but you won't find me dumping garbage out in the woods, either.

I am a conservationist and an environmentalist, and much like those who have already posted, this view has not been developed from the inside of my townhouse. I wholeheartedly endorse all efforts to maintain open spaces that allow the critters of the earth to follow their nature. I also believe that I am just another one of those critters so my footprint is no more offensive than a bear track. Given that my species' habitat is just as threatened as any, I choose to step lightly and encourage others to do so. I have run across very few caches (have only found about 120) that conflict with these beliefs, otherwise, I wouldn't play.

I recently met a couple at a dinner party who had heard about geocaching. It had been presented to them as a Walmart-culture pasttime consisting of glad-ware in the DNR forests chased down by whoopin' Jerry Springer fans in mud-covered 4X4s. They were a bit shocked that I not only play, but admit it. Oddly, it's only been in these forums that I have seen evidence to support their view. I have not seen a single mullet on the trail, and most caches in my area reflect taste, forethought and sensitivity. Where these weird perceptions are born is a mystery to me. I'm sure I unknowingly have a few of them myself. It is true that it only takes a few cases of bad behavior to get the whole sport judged in this way. That seems to be human nature.

I think as a whole geocachers are pretty responsible users of natural resources and public lands especially when compared to pursuers of other outdoor activities (won't point out any specifically so as not to offend a group) but maybe it's just because there are fewer of us so we don't have a huge impact. I certainly try to pick up around cache sites when possible (except for maybe that dead opossum in a grocery bag I found a couple of weeks ago).

Since in the overall scheme of things caching is a relatively new activity we may need to overemphasize our stewardship of the land publicly. I know for example a regional state conservation official that has threatened to cite with littering anyone who places a cache on the land he oversees.

My love of nature was kindled in the Boy Scouts. I typically leave a place better than I found it. I don’t leave trash. I often clear debris left by others. And I don’t deface trees, rocks or any other part of the environment.

It is nice to believe that geocaching positively impacts our global environment, but truly, I doubt it. There is a whole world out there that just doesn’t care.

Some societies have different values; the aboriginals of Australia, for instance, don’t view their own trash as an eyesore. It has been explained to me that they consider their waste lying about them to be a natural product of themselves, thus a natural part of their surroundings. Apparently, they don’t view piles of trash around their encampments and villages even as an eyesore.

Difficult as this may be to understand, it must be accepted. Even in some western industrialized societies, waste is rampant, and many subscribe to NIMBY; if I can’t see it, it’s OK.

I will continue to do my little part, and geocaching’s mantra, CITO, is admirable, but realistically I see it as a losing battle. :huh::)

My love of nature was kindled in the Boy Scouts. I typically leave a place better than I found it. I don’t leave trash. I often clear debris left by others. And I don’t deface trees, rocks or any other part of the environment.

It is nice to believe that geocaching positively impacts our global environment, but truly, I doubt it. There is a whole world out there that just doesn’t care.

Some societies have different values; the aboriginals of Australia, for instance, don’t view their own trash as an eyesore. It has been explained to me that they consider their waste lying about them to be a natural product of themselves, thus a natural part of their surroundings. Apparently, they don’t view piles of trash around their encampments and villages even as an eyesore.

Difficult as this may be to understand, it must be accepted. Even in some western industrialized societies, waste is rampant, and many subscribe to NIMBY; if I can’t see it, it’s OK.

I will continue to do my little part, and geocaching’s mantra, CITO, is admirable, but realistically I see it as a losing battle. :huh::)

Sad Bits of Wisdom on a Wednesday Morning.

Good name for a tavern band.

I think that Geoachers are a new group of people engaged in activity that takes role in preserving the environment. I held a CITO last spring and the letter I got from the county superintendent stated that they have had many groups help clean their parks. But no one had ever removed as much trash as Geocachers, based on many of the CITO pictures that have been posted I would agree with that.

I really don't see Geocaching as destructive as other sports. if a Geocache is imapcting the surronding area all you have to do is remove it and allow the land to restore itself, even then the impact is limited to the area near the cache. Unlike mountain bikers, horseback riders, ATV riders or other hikers where you would have to either periodically repair or shut down a trail.

I think that Geocaching has taught a new segement of the poplulation that they can help protect the environment with very little effort.

Edited by magellan315

It is interesting that 'environmentalism' is looked upon negatively or extreme even by those who admit they are an environmentalist to some degree. For the sake of this discussion, lets take the term envirnmentalist at face value. The Webster's definition for environmentalist is as follows:

"a person working to solve envirnomental problems, such as air and water pollution, the exhaustion of natural resources, uncontrolled population growth, etc."

Conservationism is also an honorable cause IMO. Politically speaking, in the US, conservationist and environmentalist are in different yet similar camps. One tends to be thought of as more extreme than the other. Webster's definition of conservationist:

"a person who advocates the conservation of natural resources."

I think even by definition, environmentalist declare a much greater involvement in the struggle to protect nature. Are Conservationist simply a subset or less moderate form of environmentalists?

Many geocachers appear to share a love of the outdoors. Because geocachers find themselves outdoors and sharing the air, water and sky with much of nature, should we play a more prominant role in protecting our environment (Australian aborigines not withstanding)?

All definitions used in my post are my own, and are drawn from popular culture, rather than the dictionary.

"Environmentalist" has negative connotations which can include A) "hippies" :huh: ELF and other militant organizations and C) the animal rights crowd, none of which would describe me.

I suppose I'm an "environmentalist" that prefers to take an active role in the food chain.

:)

I suspect that we agree on a lot. But I wonder how many self-described "environmentalists" support hunting? Many, I'm sure, but I'd be surprised if it's a majority.

I'm an environmentalist.

I give to the Adirondack Nature Conservancy, and write letters to my local, state, and federal representatives, urging them to protect the environment, in my corner of the world as well as all over the world.

I work to instill an environmental ethic in my family and friends and the students I work with, both by example and by sharing information and promoting discussions about environmental issues.

I participate in and promote clean-ups, including CITO events. I always try to carry out more than I carried in when I go out geocaching or walking or boating or whatever.

I think that geocaching is a great way to foster the growth of both a personal and communal environmental ethic, as well as a great way to visit and clean up some great spots all over the world.

I think that geocachers tend to be more environmentally aware and oriented than the general populace, because of the connection between our activity and the great outdoors.

I think that by protecting and preserving the environment as geocachers, we:

• help make the natural world a better place...one cache at a time
  • protect the natural world for the next generation of geocacachers
  • enhance the reputation of geocaching as an environmentally friendly activity, and build good will towards the crazies poking around in the woods for mctoys

falls off of soapbox...

jamie

ps - I'm an environmentalist who enjoys hunting and fishing

Edited by NFA
But I wonder how many self-described "environmentalists" support hunting? Many, I'm sure, but I'd be surprised if it's a majority.

I was hoping to focus more on the air, water and sky portion of the environmental issue. Oddly enough, I don't even view hunting as much of an environmental concern. Maybe thats because I'm baised and see hunting as a solution to many environmental problems, ie animal diseases, animal overpopulation, etc.

...Because geocachers find themselves outdoors and sharing the air, water and sky with much of nature, should we play a more prominant role in protecting our environment (Australian aborigines not withstanding)?

Everyone, not just geocachers, should play a more prominent role in protecting our environment. By definition, environment:

The circumstances or conditions that surround one; surroundings.

But what can be done? We can wave our banner proudly. We can entertain more CITO projects. We can lobby our peers. We can evolve into an extremist organization and write letters to those who govern the world. We can even strap ourselves to geocaches, demanding that all cachers must prove that they are cleansing the environment before they are allowed a smiley.

But do you really think that will change things?

Let’s face it. Man is defiling the earth at an alarming rate and try as we may, we (geocachers) cannot stunt it. I am not belittling our efforts; I am only being realistic.

Allow me to repeat my earlier comment: "Everyone, not just geocachers, should play a more prominent role in protecting our environment." But even with our geo-efforts, I expect the current worldwide trends to continue; in the big picture, we are not kidding anyone. :huh:

I feel your frustration. But I also know the Great Wall of China was built one brick at a time ... Sometimes its healthy for the soul to recognize involvement in a cause that you feel is worthy. Even if you are but one very, very small voice. Our souls only listen to one voice ... our own.

i love getting outdoors and geocaching has given me the excuse to go enjoy it. while i call myself a tree hugger, i don't hug trees as a political act, but as a love of nature. i love trees. i wouldn't chain myself to a tree and i just now realized, through this thread, that by using this label some people may associate me with eco-terrorism. ack!!

anyway, geocaching gives me the opportunity to CITO more often. i've always done my part to pick up other people's trash (when it's not too nasty or biohazardous-looking) and throw it away. it's sad to go to some areas that are so covered by trash that it is overwhelming.

i think, since we have such a wide ranging group of people in our community i would consider us a moderate group of environmentalists. we like clean parks and wilderness areas, but man... the gas we consume... :huh:

But I wonder how many self-described "environmentalists" support hunting?  Many, I'm sure, but I'd be surprised if it's a majority.

I was hoping to focus more on the air, water and sky portion of the environmental issue. Oddly enough, I don't even view hunting as much of an environmental concern. Maybe thats because I'm baised and see hunting as a solution to many environmental problems, ie animal diseases, animal overpopulation, etc.

I understand. I'm not trying to derail your thread. However, your original question asked if we "geocachers" were the new "environmentalists".

I identify with your desire to conserve and preserve. I share those convictions, but don't consider myself an "environmentalist" by name, because to me, hunting is the most intensely personal expression of my "environmentalism".

I realize that all of this is semantics, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

I am not an environmentalist by any stretch of the word. One of my employees is. We agree on many things. My view is essentially that mankind will be on this planet until the planet is destroyed or will no longer support life.

The goal is that mans stewardship should do the most good for the most people for the longest time. While that isn't enivironmentlism, its close enough for many things. Urban sprawl is a waste of space. There is no need to litter, those who give lip service to sustainable practices don't actually practice much that is sustainable.

Geocaching is a RASH. It's fun, it shows you the world. All of it. Even the parts you could do without. As a result of geocaching I pay more attention to trail use, land use, bomb squads and some other things. When idiots ruin it for us all, I really wonder methods to drive home the point that they are doing something wrong. I am paying more attention than I used to about the creation of trails for the enjoyment of the community and the removal of some of mans wonders like "river in a box".

Before geoching I was already inclined in this direction. Geocaching though has given me exposure to some outlets that I may not have found until I retired and was ready to do something with my time.

Geocaching in and of itself is a non issue in the environmental scheme of things.

Perhaps a better way to find out how we really stand environmentally might be to ask ourselves a series of questions.

Drive a SUV? Live in a house that uses some form of alternative heat source? Recycle all paper metal and plastic even if it is not required in your neighborhood.... there are lots more but you get the idea..... Everyone will give lip service to an improved environment but many less are really willing to do anything to support it. Now lets all jump in the gas guzzler and drive 30 miles for a FTF before dark :huh:

Sometimes its healthy for the soul to recognize involvement in a cause that you feel is worthy. Even if you are but one very, very small voice. Our souls only listen to one voice ... our own.

Absolutely, and I will continue to pick up trash, one piece at a time.

I feel your frustration.  But I also know  the Great Wall of China was built one brick at a time ...

And now it is but an historical monument.

Even while passive, moderate and extreme environmentalists all around the world fight to save the great rainforests of the earth, they are disappearing, one tree at a time. It won’t be to much longer before they too, are a bleak monument to the rape of our planet.

In the approximately 50 minutes since you mentioned the Great China Wall, we have lost an estimated 4500 acres of rainforest.

4500 acres!:):huh:

We are all environmentalists. It is a matter of survival that you protect your "environment". If you value a big house and a monster truck then you will work towards that goal.

It is your values that place you on somewhere on the scale between Earth First and the President of a third world strip-mining and chemical company.

Do you value nature as where you derive your sustenance from and enjoy your recreation in? Do you protect rainforest because some day you might need the drugs it provides? That is an anthropocentric or self-centred view of nature.

Those who value nature as an integral part of this world, often given the title of "environmentalist", see every species and every natural cycle as critical for the functioning of this planet and essential for our survival. Water and deer and slugs should have the same right to exist as people do. Humankind is one small part of the whole. This is an ecocentric or nature-centred view.

Perhaps it is our duty, having an understanding of our world and the technology to affect it, to do more than just survive. Should we recycle our trash or the trash of our fathers and neighbours as well?

Geocaching is not an environmental activity. It takes an add on called CITO to add some environmentalism to it. As for raising awareness of the natural world, what proportion of caches are in cities? What proportion educate as their main goal?

Driving to the zoo is more educational and enlightening than most of what we do geocaching.

Even staunch "tree-huggers" compromise their values. Reading books and using toilet paper still consumes forest.

Whatever activity you participate in will involve some compromise. By virtue of our highly evolved/God given brains we should make the right choices.

For caching I would like to see

1. More carpooling in better vehicles.

2. Linked searches to hit as many with minimal miles.

3. Avoidance of sensitive areas.

and

4. Use of our technology in someway to better the world we live in through vounteer mapping of habitat, sensitive areas, areas that need remediation, etc.

...Drive a SUV? Live in a house that uses some form of alternative heat source? Recycle all paper metal and plastic even if it is not required in your neighborhood.... there are lots more but you get the idea..... Everyone will give lip service to an improved environment but many less are really willing to do anything to support it. Now lets all jump in the gas guzzler and drive 30 miles for a FTF before dark :rolleyes:

SUV. I own 3 of them. They are useful for their purpose. I drive a Corolla to work because I can. If I could only have one vehicle it would be an SUV. They are just to handy. Green friendly house? I can't afford a house. The one we live in and will likely buy isn't green. It uses electric heat. Why? Because it's old and back then that was 'in'. Here electricity is mostly Hydro generated. Fairly green. Recycle. Yes, everthing but glass. There is no collection point for glass.

This sounds like me...I try to be as low-impact as possible when caching.

At first, When I first heard of geocaching, I hated the idea of someone putting something like a tupperware container full of "trinkets" out in the woods...I really thought, great, another way to clutter up the planet. I started geocaching with the thought in the back of mind that if I did not like it, I would just sell my unit and that would be that. I spend enough time in the out of doors anyway, I don't need an "excuse" like geocaching to get my butt out there.

The first cache I came across was on private property, maintained by the people whol owned the property. A camp ground. The cache was a hard win, and I almost left without finding it. When I did locate it, instead of taking a little used trail back, I chose to bushwhack out. I'm glad I did, I picked up an entire garbage bag worth of trash in less than 5 minutes. Even tho the cache was on private property, it was in a beautiful forest and I know the positive impact I had by taking the trash out, was much more than the negative impact the cache would have just sitting there or for that matter cachers would have on the environment tromping through the woods. Now that I know caches are maintained, and some actually have a theme of enjoying, appreciating and caring for the environment. An upcoming event will start out with CITO, which would probably never happen at this park without the event being held there...So my experience has changed my mind. Although I think I would freak a bit if I found disacarded batteries or something I could relate to a cacher littering near a cache...but that is just me.

We are all environmentalists.

By definition, I do not think we all are ...

"a person working to solve envirnomental problems, such as air and water pollution, the exhaustion of natural resources, uncontrolled population growth, etc."

Unfortunatetly, there are many people who do nothing to solve environmental problems. To simply exist is not environmentalism.

Perhaps it is our duty, having an understanding of our world and the technology to affect it, to do more than just survive

Thats what I'm talking about. Should geocachers be known as stewards of the environment?

For caching I would like to see

1. More carpooling in better vehicles.

2. Linked searches to hit as many with minimal miles.

3. Avoidance of sensitive areas.

and

4. Use of our technology in someway to better the world we live in through vounteer mapping of habitat, sensitive areas, areas that need remediation, etc.

Excellent! I'm not suggesting that geocachers change the world overnight. As Richard already pointed out, that is ridiculous. However, collectively I believe people can make a difference. The mighty pyriamids are made from tiny grains of sand...