60 Cs Bike Mount

JetMonkey

I was reading the post about the Gilsson case where people have concerns with the Garmin 60 series popping out of the Garmin bike mount when hard bumps are hit. So instead of digressing too far from MLK3454's orginal question about a case, I thought I would start the bike mount topic in it's own post.

I owned a 76CS and used Garmin's bike mount and have never had an issue with the unit popping out of the mount, that being said I didn't hesitate to buy a new bike mount for the 60 CSx that I just got. Looking at it's design I can easily see how the 60 series could unlock and fall out of this mount, thanks guys for mentioning it otherwise I too would probably end up with a dropped and scratched GPSr too. I haven't used it yet since it's still cold here but when spring finally decideds to happen and stick around I'll install it and use it.

As far as keeping the 60 from unlocking and falling out of the bike mount it looks pretty simple to just slip a hefty rubber band around the mount at the bottom end where the lock clip is at. With the 60 installed the two should hold together just fine, at least so it seems. If it were to still pop loose I have to believe that the rubber band would most likely hold the GPSr to the mount (even though it might not be latched) long enough for you to stop your bike and relock it (maybe even add a second band if the road or trial is THAT rough). It might not be the most aesthetic fix but since I don't plan an entering my bike in any upcoming fashion shows...who cares! Plus in the end this would still look much better than a dropped unit!

As far as the 60 CSx so far...Rock On!!!

Steve

I have the Garmin mount in the car but I did not think it would hold up on two wheels.

I have used a RAM mount on the handlebar of my mountian bike and motorcycle with both a GPS V and now the 60CS. It has never come out or even loose over 1000's of miles of use. This includes removing the unit repeatedly for caching. I have always wound the wrist strap around the mounting bracket just in case.

I've had my 60CS fly off my bicycle handlebars several times and even wrote Garmin about it, which they said they'll pass onto their engineering department.

What I finally did, which doesn't obscure the screen, is to take a wire tie, like the ones used for vegetables and string it through the lanyard strap hole on the 60CS and then to the space on the 60CS holder where the holder clips onto the mount on the bicycle handlebar. Tighten up the wire and twist it around itself to hold it in place. Tuck the ends under the 60CS and then click on the 60CS to the bike.

Since it seems like the upper loop of the holder breaks from the torque it experiences with insertion and road vibrations, a friend of mine reinforced the mount of his by wrapping a clothes hanger wire around the circumference of the mount and epoxing the wire to the mount. The holder is very ridged this way.

Bykenut

I was reading the post about the Gilsson case where people have concerns with the Garmin 60 series popping out of the Garmin bike mount when hard bumps are hit. So instead of digressing too far from MLK3454's orginal question about a case, I thought I would start the bike mount topic in it's own post.

I owned a 76CS and used Garmin's bike mount and have never had an issue with the unit popping out of the mount, that being said I didn't hesitate to buy a new bike mount for the 60 CSx that I just got. Looking at it's design I can easily see how the 60 series could unlock and fall out of this mount, thanks guys for mentioning it otherwise I too would probably end up with a dropped and scratched GPSr too. I haven't used it yet since it's still cold here but when spring finally decideds to happen and stick around I'll install it and use it.

As far as keeping the 60 from unlocking and falling out of the bike mount it looks pretty simple to just slip a hefty rubber band around the mount at the bottom end where the lock clip is at. With the 60 installed the two should hold together just fine, at least so it seems. If it were to still pop loose I have to believe that the rubber band would most likely hold the GPSr to the mount (even though it might not be latched) long enough for you to stop your bike and relock it (maybe even add a second band if the road or trial is THAT rough). It might not be the most aesthetic fix but since I don't plan an entering my bike in any upcoming fashion shows...who cares! Plus in the end this would still look much better than a dropped unit!

As far as the 60 CSx so far...Rock On!!!

Steve

I think I put the original post in the Gilsson case thread... Doesn't the rubber band lay right over the buttons? I couldn't see any place to wrap something without obscuring buttons or screen. For me, some spots of velcro on the "wings" of the mount, and then on the sides of the 60C, with a piece of hook velcro spanning them worked well all last year, and came off easily when I had to change the batteries. I do remember the anguish on my first ride, before the velcro, when the unit hit the asphalt going down a steep, rough hill at about 35 mph. Not being quick to learn, I dropped it again on that ride before I gave up and stuffed it in my jersey pocket. On the bright side - although Garmin engineered a crummy bike mount, they built one hell of a sturdy unit - except for some relatively minor cosmetic scratches, the GPSMAP 60C still works flawlessly to this day. (Although I just replaced it with a GPSMAP 60CSx - amazing lock under trees). Not sure why they couldn't have thought ahead and put a little screw lock on the mount and unit, like the old GPS IIIPlus and GPS V.