Gauteng Rains

warthog

I visited the Stone Age Ruins cache yesterday (31/01) to collect a few 2006 Race TBS and decided to also collect the TB in the Castle Marina cache.

However I believe (from previous recollection of where cache is), that the recent rains has caused water levels to rise so high that this cache is now under water.

Can next cacher in that area please confirm this.

Cache should be no more that about half metre under water, so may make for a very interesting find. :ph34r:

:ph34r: Oh.... #^%$ :ph34r:

We were worried about that, but just havent had time to go back and try and save that evil sheep. The cache was under a number of rocks, so hopefully it will still be there when the dam drops again - not that we want that to happen -

Will have to see, maybe we will have time to go for a swim and save the sheep this weekend. :ph34r:

*strange that in the cape caches are burning, while in gauteng caches are drowning*

*strange that in the cape caches are burning, while in gauteng caches are drowning*

so what does that tell you about kzn, the drakensburg never burns, we have very few floods of a large nature, its the safest place for cahes, oh and you cant beat the weather, no howling wind or thunderstorms.

NATAL THE LAST OUTPOST

Edited by batsgonemad

As far as i recall, KZN has had quite a problem of an unknown masked madman pilfering caches willy nilly.

That said, a caching trip to Durbs can provide hours of entertainment (up to 15 in 1 day actually), so I highly recommend a trip to those who have not been, to sample the wares of Noddy, Whostops and Azaruk (pardon me if i left anyone out)

Back to original topic.

QFC, feeling guilty for trying to sink the competition, decided to go back to the Vaal this weekend and take a dip in the dam. We can now claim our first underwater cache. The cache was under about a meter or so of water, but with a bit of swimming and underwater rock moving the black plastic bag was soon found. The Demon sheep is now safe and dry after taking its revenge on the team that placed it in the unlucky cache (while drying the cache contents, the sheep was squeezed and proceeded to pee all over part 2).

(on a side note – it seems like zip lock bags are not meant to survive the Vaal dam, because EVERYTHING was drenched)

The cache has been move to about the waterline and the cache owner has been contacted. We had to remove the log book since it was soaked through. It is still in one piece and all of the logs are intact, it just has a few crumpled pages from the water damage. Will post the log book to the cache owner so it can be returned.