Garmin 60cx / Csx - Waypoints On Sd Cards?

-=(GEO)=-

Hi,

I'd like to integrate GpxSonar with the Garmin 60cx / csx by having the application write waypoints directly to the micro SD card of the receiver via the SD card adapter of the PDA . I've used this method successfully on Magellan Meridians which also support SD cards.

I'd like to know the following:

1. Is the Garmin 60cx / csx is capable of loading waypoints directly from its SD card? I know it's possible with maps...

2. When uploading waypoints to the Garmin 60cx / csx via MapSource or the Waypoint Manager software, are the waypoints stored as files on the SD card of the receiver and if so, in what format?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'd like to integrate GpxSonar with the Garmin 60cx / csx by having the application write waypoints directly to the micro SD card of the receiver via the SD card adapter of the PDA . I've used this method successfully on Magellan Meridians which also support SD cards.

I'd like to know the following:

1. Is the Garmin 60cx / csx is capable of loading waypoints directly from its SD card? I know it's possible with maps...

2. When uploading waypoints to the Garmin 60cx / csx via MapSource or the Waypoint Manager software, are the waypoints stored as files on the SD card of the receiver and if so, in what format?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

No

They are stored in the internal memory, You cannot store waypoints on the memory card.

From Garmins web site.

This unit features a removable microSD card for detailed mapping memory and a waterproof, rugged housing. The microSD card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment. Users can load map data and transfer routes and waypoints through the unit’s fast USB connection.

removable microSD card for detailed mapping

Nothing about waypoints or routes

Edited by JohnnyVegas
You can store them as POI's though.. With this software from Garmin: http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

- Although I haven't been able to find a way to change the icons, or be selective about which POIs to show.

the link does not list the any 60 series as a GPS that the poi loader will work with.

It looks like it only soeks with the i-oues and street pilots. It is not listed as compatable software with the 60 cx or csx.

MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager is included with the 60 CX and 60 CSX. It is not the same product, fpo Garmins web site.

MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager will allow you to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your Garmin GPS unit and your PC. Included is a general world-wide basemap, providing basic cartography. The basic map included is for general reference only and detailed maps cannot be loaded to any Garmin unit using this product.
Edited by JohnnyVegas

JohnnyVegas is correct on all counts here.

1) No wpts/trks/rtes on removable memory. (This is actually consistent iwth Streetpilots that have had removable memory for some time.)

2) POI Loader does not support these units, and Garmin refused to document the POI Loader interaction with the receiver when I approached them about it.

There is a dude working on implementing Garmin USB support in GPSBabel for a port to Pocket PC that he's done. Check the GPSBabel list for progress; you may be able to team up with him and solve this for the users of PPCs that have USB ports that can be hosts instead of just devices that own USB Garmins.

After having Garmin units for several years, I know the following.

Garmin do not add new function to released GPS, so

they will not add the possibility to store waypoint to memory card.

they will not support POI on the new "x" series GPS.

They only fix bugs, and do some minor new function.

Garmin want you to buying new GPS from them.

I am some disappointed with Garmin. When 60C was first released

we made a list of about 20 improvements that we would like to have.

They added none of them to the 60C and none of them to the “x”

series. They even removed the Alarm function on the new “x” series.

According to the 60CSX manual, you can upload POI with the POI Loader to these units. I have tried it, and it is working  :lol:

If you got that working, I can scratch the above post I just made.

(Just deleted it now)

I would like to have POI on a Map60Cx.

Neat stuff.

Do you think it might work with the old Map60C or just the new X model??

GPSMap60CSPOIloaderInformationJPG.jpg

If this POI loader works with the Map60Cx/CSx, then try the link below:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/poilo.../poiloader.html

Seems like you can have up to 3000 POI, and that would be alot of caches, and you could use GSAK to create the *.GPX files to be saved to a Points Of Interest folder on your hard drive, then every file in that folder on the hard drive is uploaded to your GPS.

With this idea you can have POI's for Traditionals, Multicaches, and Virtuals saved as different file names.

Do a direct "As the crow flys" GOTO to the Geocache POI, then when you find it, HIT the Mark button, and the new waypoint will have the date and time in the comment field. When you do a FIND of a POI, you can then SAVE it as a waypoint with the Geocache Waypoint ID and Date and Time.

This all would be so cool if possible.

If this is possible can we write GSAK Macros to do all this automatically??

Also Im thinking of getting GSAK now.

An interesting thread at GPS Passion:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42792

Edited by GOT GPS?
According to the 60CSX manual, you can upload POI with the POI Loader to these units. I have tried it, and it is working  :lol:

The OP questions was

1. Is the Garmin 60cx / csx is capable of loading waypoints directly from its SD card?

Can't do waypoint files, but it looks like people can load up to 3000 custom POI on the card, hopefully.

Garmin seems like they will only allow mapping, and maybe POI on the card, and nothing else.

-

Geoff