Usb To Rs232 Sorry If This Has Been Posted

Idaho Ron

The connectors are about $30 at Radio Shack. I have used them at work a couple of times.

They come with a driver. Of the two I have bought from Radio Shack, one came with a cd and one with a floppy. The CD didn't work but the floppy worked for both. I'm unsure way. The machines they were loaded on had embedded os/software and that could be a factor.

Once installed, they have been reliable.

Any quality USB/Serial adapter should work.... They range from $10 on ebay to about $30 retail I paid $14.95 for mine and it works fine. Biggest problem(s) is people do not load drivers FIRST before plugging unit into USB port and not being able to fine what COM port is assigned to USB/Serial adapter so they can enter it into software configuration. Answer is usually found in the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Deice Manager.

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

Well I went to radio shack and the only one they had there had a floppy for drivers :rolleyes: I don't have a floppy drive. B)

Well I went to the next largest town and I found one at Best Buy. I can't remember the name of the cable but it did not have drivers. The pimple faced kid said don't worry man it will work ;)

I went to the radio shack there and they had one with drivers, CD drivers B)

I could have found a better deal on ebay but I didn't want to wait. I got the cable and installed it just as the book said to and everything worked fine in Mapsource. I did have a little trouble with NG topo but it was a set up problem and soon it was fine as well. I had to tell it to look for com port 4.

Anyway thanks for the help. The one thing I have found about this BB is people here got a clue and don't mind helping guys like me that don't have a clue ;)

Thanks Ron

I can't say from personal experience but have read MANY posts here and elsewhere saying lots of good stuff about these adapters. The drivers should came with the adapter and they can be had for under $10 on eBay.

I bought mine at Best Buy (since I was there anyhow), and DLed the drivers from the manufacturers website.

Okay, as I stated earlier it also worked very well. Additionally I got it with free shipping, and it came quickly. So the only reason I can imagine buying it at the store is if you don't like buying online, or want it right away.

Edited by KandRS

It appears that you already got your answer, but I thought I'd mention that I first tried a rather inexpensivie one from a company that I can't remember right now that didn't work, but then I bought a more expensive one (i.e., about $79) from Belkin and it works great. So, yes, the devices in general work. But like anything, you can find specific varieties that don't. (Isn't progress wonderful?)

I forgot the other part of your quesion. Yes, they need drivers, but you should get a CD with the device.

Edited by ghs