"cachetiquette"

bblake

Hi -- another newbie here...

So far we've found two very easy virtual caches and logged the finds. Not sure about one thing regarding virtual caches -- both said I had to email them something to receive credit, but there was nothing to keep me from logging them on the site. Didn't get a response from one owner, and the email came back as undeliverable to the other one ("BHI Anniversary"). Are we on the "honor system" with virtual caches like this, or all of them, for that matter?

I'm planning on hunting some traditional caches in my area this weekend, but I'm not sure what I'm expected to take... Do you normally take everything but the log book and such, and leave an equal number of items, or what? Just wondering what the etiquette is regarding this before getting started.

Are cache owners expected to restock their cache if they take all your goodies and leave a bunch of broken McDonald's toys? I have a location planned, have the container, the contents, title, coords, etc. all planned out for my first hide, but figure it will be best to find a few first before taking on the responsibility of maintaining one.

I have read most of the FAQs on getting started but I guess you have to "play" for a while to see how it really works.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions (the helpful kind, I hope) :ph34r:

bblake

Didn't get a response from one owner, and the email came back as undeliverable to the other one ("BHI Anniversary"). Are we on the "honor system" with virtual caches like this, or all of them, for that matter?

I'd say yes, if the owner is not available to verify your find we would have to take your word on it.

Do you normally take everything but the log book and such, and leave an equal number of items, or what? Just wondering what the etiquette is regarding this before getting started.

Trading is completely up to you, you can take one item and leave one, you can take to items and leave one item of equal value, trading is not a requirement to cache.

Welcome bblake! :ph34r:

Welcome aboard.

Don't be shy about "cleaning up" a cache that has become filled with paper clips, Q-tips, old range balls and the like. Make note of it on your log and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the positive responses you get.

Caches often degrade over time in other ways and it's not a bad idea to keep a couple of spare ZipLok baggies, pens, pencils, notebooks and geegaws on hand to freshen up a cache. It's greatly appreciated.

...paper clips, Q-tips, old range balls and the like...not a bad idea to keep a couple of spare ZipLok baggies, pens, pencils, notebooks and geegaws on hand to freshen up a cache...

I never thought about it at first, but now I take a backpack everywhere I go with all sorts of things in it. Not just cache trinks, but also my own large, small, and micro caches (in case I find a good place), water and first aid, and of course extra logs, notepads (which I like better than logs when there is room), and pens. I haven't messed around much with the pencils, but I know they *can* be preferred in many climates.

What is a geegaw?? lol That's a new one on me!

Not sure about one thing regarding virtual caches -- both said I had to email them something to receive credit, but there was nothing to keep me from logging them on the site.  Didn't get a response from one owner, and the email came back as undeliverable to the other one ("BHI Anniversary").

If one of the requirements for logging a cache is to email the owner, and if the owner doesn't respond or has an invalid email address, then I could think that a "Needs Maintenance" log is in order.

Normally, that is used for a physical cache, indicating that there's a problem with the container -- broken or wet, or logbook is full, etc. But it would also seem to apply to a virtual for which email is required but is unavailable.

(Probably most people wouldn't bother, though... they'd try emailing, wait a while, and then say "Well, I found it, I'm logging it anyway." At least a "Needs maintenance" note would let future finders know that they may run into the same difficulties you did.)

Not sure about one thing regarding virtual caches -- both said I had to email them something to receive credit, but there was nothing to keep me from logging them on the site.  Didn't get a response from one owner, and the email came back as undeliverable to the other one ("BHI Anniversary").

If one of the requirements for logging a cache is to email the owner, and if the owner doesn't respond or has an invalid email address, then I could think that a "Needs Maintenance" log is in order.

Normally, that is used for a physical cache, indicating that there's a problem with the container -- broken or wet, or logbook is full, etc. But it would also seem to apply to a virtual for which email is required but is unavailable.

(Probably most people wouldn't bother, though... they'd try emailing, wait a while, and then say "Well, I found it, I'm logging it anyway." At least a "Needs maintenance" note would let future finders know that they may run into the same difficulties you did.)

I quite agree

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm trying to email the virtual cache owners once more before posting a 'needs maintenance' log. One of them appears to be an active user based on their profile -- might just need to update their account info, or maybe there was a problem with their mail server at the time.

One thing is certain -- I'm hooked! :huh:

bblake